For those who were raised in "the truth"

by Hangin_on 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hangin_on
    Hangin_on

How many of you always felt like you would be killed at armageddon no matter what you did... it was never enough and your parents put a guilt trip on you?

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Me.

The real reason why I got baptized was to get the 'mark' as to survive Armageddon. Basically, it was a threat imposed on me. Once baptized, I always had to do more more more so as not to have the 'mark' invalidated. Another threat. Living in fear and guilt was supposed to keep me humble.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

edited to add a little personal history.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My problem was I didn't want to do what was required to even hope to survive the big A, no field service, wouldn't sign up for the ministry school, never answered during the watchtower study or the Tuesday night book study. Yeah I'm a huge disappointment to my parents and they used to lay a heavy guilt trip on me but I didn't care. Luckily my parents only pushed so far and gave up.

Josie

• prophecor
    prophecor

I have, over the years in ignorance felt the gnawing eye of Jehovah watching me and waiting to attack and pounce at the right time. I never knew how much Grace was associated with my life until recently. The fear and dread over the years has taken a huge toll on my life. Now that the blinders are off, I despise the negative energy spent on useless wasted guilt, fear and terror.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Me. I was sure I was going down. I kept track of every little "sin" to make sure they didn't add up to a big huge one. As a child, this is a tremendous stress.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Before Armageddon came,the government was going to round up all the JW`s and put them in concentration camps..Even the kids!!..They were going to stick knitting needles in your eyes and shove hot coals up your bum.Just to make you say,you didn`t believe in Jehovah!..LOL!!..Thank god I`m grown up and away from that insane asylam...OUTLAW

• Badger
    Badger

Ditto what Outlaw said. As I grew older, all of those little things I didn't do (go out that one saturday, skip a meeting, try to ask a girl out) were all weighing on me as things that might just end it for me.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Always dear,

Thats why I started smoking...it didn't matter...well now it does, among many other stinking things I ignored.

r.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Count me in.

That is exactly how it was.

So much so, that I didn't bother to get baptised. There was no point. Whew...... thank God I did something right in my life.

Cheers

Chris

• blondie
    blondie

I grew up in an abusive home and was more afraid of being killed by my father. That more immediate fear outweighed any "fear" connected with an event that seemed unreal and far off. I figured that God was much more forgiving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit