Revelling in not believing

by PaulJ 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Faded-out
    Faded-out

Sorry about that double empty post, my computer is acting up tonight.

I wanted to say that I totally agree with you Paul. I am open to the possability of anything until it is proven false.
    I guess, that this open mindedness is one of the reasons I left the borg. They are so the opposite.
    There is so much in this universe that we don't understand and may never understand.

Faded-out

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Abaddon, I started out a JW, tried lots of other religions, still believing in God, decided that I wasn't going to find the perfect religion, then started to look more at what it is I thought would *be* true. The more I looked at the Bible-trying to make heads or tails of the 'trinity' for example (that has gone on since JW days)the more I wondered what it was that could even BE true. Now I have quickly jumped from agnostic into teetering Atheist. I am shocking myself. Kind of wondering how I dare even THINK of it.

Shelly

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

When I was a teenager, I never found a religion that made much sense. I became a JW at 18, however, mostly because they had answers to my questions. Also, I seemed to be useful to them--most of the locals were unaccustomed to thinking in an original way. (SURPRISE!) Even before I was a publisher, some of them started bringing their tough cases to me for advice! Just because I knew how to think!

But the whole thing quickly went sour, then became pure poison. I was accused of everything from having an affair with my (current) wife's aunt to showing interest just to score with a Witness girl I went to school with. I learned more about suspicion, divisiveness and backstabbing in their "Truth" than I ever did in the "World." How sad is that?

When I left, I was already leaning toward a freethinking worldview. After all their harassment to draw me back in, I wanted to know I could fight back. Then I just wanted to know what went wrong. I started researching their literature, beginning with the Creation Book. When I found out that it was literally page after page of lies and misinformation, I felt ready to look at other WT publications and critics. I got sidetracked by articles on philosophy, and atheist articles. I started comparing them to the apologist reasonings, and--for me--there was just no contest. The atheists win. That's when I realized that I was one too. My worldview has been a work in progress ever since, and I hope it stays that way.

Ditto what the other heretics like me said about the assumptions many people seem to make about atheists, too.

IsaacJ

• RWC
    RWC

This is an interesting topic. I was not raised JW and actually agree that they are a cult. It is sad that so many here went through terrible experiences through their youth in a religion that preaches nothing but fire and brimstone and eternal damnation. That is so little of the true Christian religion and you have missed out on alot of the joy that can come from a belief in Christ. I have often wondered if that very negative experience led some to become atheists or non believers and that if your experience had been different you would have reached a different conclusion. Like a natural reaction so far from what you were running from that it led you to disbelieve everything and if over time that reaction mellows and you could examine the faith again in a new light. Not unlike a battered woman who hates all men after she leaves the relationship but later finds that some are okay.

My religious experience was very joyful growing up and it has brought me great comfort. It saddens me that so many of you experienced such heartache.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Now unless someone comes along and gives me the concrete evidence that I would need to believe
    something, my thoughts are going to stay the same. There will probably always be arguments for and
    against. No one can prove things like this without relying somewhat on faith.

I researched the Bible along with WTS doctrine. I doubt it's God's word, but I could be wrong.
    I doubt anything in Genesis happened that way, but I could be wrong.
    I doubt Jesus was more than a smart man, elevated by his own doing and by men after his death,
    but I could be wrong.
    I feel that natural forces formed the earth, using a form of evolution to bring life to it, but I could be wrong.

While I could be wrong, I am confident of one thing- I thought God had led me to his Will for me, but I was
    misled by a mind-control cult. Regardless of what the actual "truth" really is, if God wants me to do his
    will, HE will have to personally tell me what it is, otherwise- I will live by my own set of morals
    and not worry about all that unknown stuff.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Really interesting book I read lately:
    New Passages, by Gail SHEEHY

• kid-A
    kid-A

"I think I believe in God (or something), but thats about it."

Then should'nt the thread be titled "Revelling in still believing"??

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Thanks for all your comments. I thought I'd reply to some of them...

"I think I believe in God (or something), but thats about it."

Then should'nt the thread be titled "Revelling in still believing"??

No, because then that wouldnt make sense with all the things I dont have beliefs in!!! I 'think' I believe in God (or something), and I'm not even certain of that. Hope thats clearer for you. Maybe you can come up with other ideas as to what I perhaps should have called my thread?

Additionally, religion- where does it come from? Isn't an organised religion an 'opinion' of a man (woman) or men (or women)? Surely all religions have a background, christianity for example is based on the bible- written by men, and it trusts we have faith that is was god-inspired. Its faith again, not neccesarily (excuse the spelling) concrete.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ
    Really interesting book I read lately:
    New Passages, by Gail SHEEHY

Thanks Spaznik- I'll look it up!

I researched the Bible along with WTS doctrine. I doubt it's God's word, but I could be wrong.
    I doubt anything in Genesis happened that way, but I could be wrong.
    I doubt Jesus was more than a smart man, elevated by his own doing and by men after his death,
    but I could be wrong.
    I feel that natural forces formed the earth, using a form of evolution to bring life to it, but I could be wrong.

OnTheWayOut- exactly! I'd rather be humble and admit I dont know for sure than be adamant that I'm right and everyone who doesnt agree are wrong! I just wanted to say that was really well put!! I'm really pleased that so many people agree with (kind of) shall we start a cult??? (kidding)

• anewme
    anewme

Its a wonderful feeling to be set free isnt it?

Now you must work at staying free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit