I've got a scan of that letter!

by SirNose586 64 Replies latest jw friends

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Check local laws in your area...some states allow one party notification for taping, others only one party.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Looks like I better rethink my plan. I'm not interested in going to jail. Good looking out, Mavie.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Fascinating, I wonder what the longer term plan is going to be?

By itself , I cannot see a big cost saving , they will have to print a lot more of the public editions.. but as somebody said, what if the Kingdom Ministry was included, that would save.. The only down side to that is that KM's are local..Our British ones differ a little from the American ones on the c/d rom... Presumably the study edition need not be so expensively produced with colour pictures

Question? Will you have to be a bona fide publisher to get a study mag? they stopped my KM a long time ago.

Will the c/d rom and the bound volumes include both editions?

Does this not make the Awake superfluous? with its articles that were supposed to be more "spiritual" in the new format,

My thought... here in the UK we are waiting for the introduction of new laws that ban the distribution of material that is considered "homophobic" or spreading "religious hatred" i.e. an extension of the Race Relations Laws . Could this be away around it by presenting nice smiley faced articles to the public and then

Hence, information can be more pointed and more beneficial. Material in the public edition will be designed to educate the public. That does not mean that we as dedicated Christians will not enjoy reading the information. But the information published will be of such a nature that a non-Witness will be able to read the magazine from cover to cover without encountering material that has been especially prepared for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Blues is waiting to see....

Btw Grateful thanks to those who made this available - we are better informed than those within.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The next thing for them to do is eliminate the Kingdom Ministry by simply using the 15th internal Watchtower.

The WTS has removed one Awake and now is removing one Watchtower (basically making it into the Kingdom Ministry). In effect, they have cut their publishing in half.

I suspect the WTS spread this out over two years so the average JW would not notice what was really happening.

The next to go will be the Kingdom Ministry. They will rationalize that it is now redundant with the new 15th Watchtower format.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    The next to go will be the Kingdom Ministry. They will rationalize that it is now redundant with the new 15th Watchtower format.

That seems pretty reasonable. I think I might just predict that to the local dubbies, then give the old "I told you so!" when it happens.

• JamieL
    JamieL

Wow, what's going on?

I had heard something about a new policy but what specifically will the WT have done. I saw the link but I didn't want to sign up for send space, sorry I'm being a little lazy.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Wow, what's going on?

I had heard something about a new policy but what specifically will the WT have done. I saw the link but I didn't want to sign up for send space, sorry I'm being a little lazy.

You don't have to sign up. In fact, I recommend getting Elsewhere's PDF because the quality is nearly the same, but in a much smaller file.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I wonder if there will be a difference in the price suggested donations between the two mags? Will the public version be say $.50 (what is the current going rate for the mags?) and the study version be $5? Or would a price difference be too shameless even for the borg?

I remember when the close of the presentations was "just 10 cents for the two of them." I'm getting old.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I cannot see a big cost saving , they will have to print a lot more of the public editions..

No, they won't. The number of magazines printed each month has no correlation to the number of placements. Dubs throw away millions of magazines. The whole "magazine order" process wherein you pick up your mags at the counter at the KH is just another piece of their "measurable spirituality" concept - the more magazines you order, the more serious/spiritual you are perceived to be.

I once rotated into the FSO position and was told I was responsible for the guys working the magazines and books and was to "oversee" their reporting and ordering. There was a huge discrepancy between the number of magazines ordered by the publishers and the number of placements reported each month. I discussed with the B of E and was assigned to give a short talk at the Service Meeting urging the publishers to reexamine their orders and cut back if they weren't realistically going to place that many magazines. I expected to see a number of folks come up after the meeting and cut back on their magazine orders. Didn't happen.

Of course, we are never going to know because the WTS can claim to print any number of magazines and who is going to challenge their figures? I spent many years in the newspaper business and can tell you that newspapers "fudge" their circulation figures all the time, despite the fact their circulation is 'audited" by a national firm that is supposed to keep them honest. Who audits the WTS Priinting and Publishing Company?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

In the last 20 years we've seen some amazing changes...

District Conventions went from 4 days to 3 days in length

The two circuit assemblies per year went to one and a special day assembly

One page tracts replaced the small Watchtower sized booklets

All books, including the Bible, are paperback now

Fewer new books, (The Revelation Grand Climax is how old now?)

Monthly Awakes replaced bi-monthly Awakes

And now Watchtower has a monthly "public" magazine and a monthly "JW eyes only" magazine

What does all this have in common? Money!

I agree, the next to go will be the Kingdom Ministry. It's not a big cost savings, when compared to other cost savings measures, but I expect the Service Meeting to focus on some special article in Watchtower instead of leafing through the Kingdom Ministry.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4
    I cannot see a big cost saving , they will have to print a lot more of the public editions..

Not so. Say they printed 20 million copies of the WT 2x each month, or 40 million total. Now they'll be able to print perhaps a few million more of the public copy, and cut down to 10 million or less for the study copy. I would guess conservatively that this will save them 5-10 million copies a month, or 100 million or more in a year. That's a huge financial savings.

Part of this is they print far more copies than are placed. We had those talks in my old hall from time to time as well, where they compared the number of magazines ordered to the number placed and for personal use. There were usually hundreds of mags a month that were simply tossed. My guess? I would guess that HALF the magazines printed are wasted.

It would help to know how many copies of the Awake! are now printed 1x a month as opposed to when it was 2x a month. Anybody got some recent copies? That figure is in every issue. And also, compare the number of mags printed a month with the number placed, plus allowing one for each issue as personal use for the number of publishers.

Anybody have access to those figures?

Thanks for the letter!

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit