Do you know what your last name means and where it comes from . . .?

by Justahuman24 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

I have always been interested in what last names mean and where they come from and if someone famous in the past is related to us because of the same last name.

My last name comes from Greek but my family is not Greek. It dates back to the year 700CE and it was around the time in Europe when people were starting to get last names - I'm talking about the general people not monarchs. It means "bow maker" bow as in bow and arrow. It was adopted by a family of knights from Spain, in the Aragon area. They served the kings and queens and some of their descendants were members of the Spanish Inquisition. - talk about infamous ancestors lol

On my mother's side, my last name was started by a Princess of Spain. So, I probably have royal blood :-D.

Any other fancy stories about last names?

justahuman - but super nonetheless

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

My maiden name is a fairly generic Irish name which as many do, identify old "royalty". It does not necessarily mean that if a person has that name it makes them royal, as from what I've read, a person with this last name could also have ancestors who was a servant of that family.

My married last name could go several different ways. Everything from Spanish to Irish or German.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

People tell me that my last name is "Satan" spelled backwards, but I don't believe them.

• mama1119
    mama1119

My maiden name originated in Wales, meaning son of John. My married name is French, meaning overseer of the farm.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Mama, where'd you track your info down?

• Synergy
    Synergy

My last name is Clevenger - It's Dutch for Keeper of the Key.

My maiden name was Hines - That's German for Cake Mix :)

Famous reletives, My cousin is John Corbett - Chris the DJ on the show Northern Exposure, the groom in My Big Fat Greek Wedding etc.

My boyfriend and one-day husband's last name is Miller - it's Trailer Park for Beer.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Yes,

"Whitney" means "White Island." We gave my oldest daughter a beautiful last name by accident, Jennifer Lynn Whitney, meaning "A white wave cascading against a white island."

Jim Whitney

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

As far as I know my name means, Teutonic mind spirit, great judge, from the house of leyen

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

From what I've discovered, my last name is a very popular French last name. It think it means fur trader or something like that.

• Gregor
    Gregor

"Red Stag Meadow" is the literal translation of my old English last name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit