I applied to a university yesterday.

by kwintestal 38 Replies latest jw friends

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

After a few years of humming and hawing, I decided I would. It was more of what I would take that held me back then if I should go.

I'm only 28, so I'm not too far behind. We'll see how working full time and going to school will go.

I'd be interested in finding out how others have found hitting the books more then 10 years after high school was for them. Anyone?

Kwin

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

That is TERRIFIC, Kwin!! I've been going to school and working full-time for the last year. It's wonderful, definitely exhausting, but I'm happier than I have EVER been. I took three classes this semester, and it might have been a little ambitious (I'm really wiped out!) but I"m also enjoying the "Sacred Texts From Around the World" class especially. We're in the middle of a section on Hinduism which is completely fascinating. We're heading into Buddhism next! Keep us posted on how it goes...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Congratulations Kwin - that is great news! What are you studying and what do you hope to do at the end. And yes 38 is certainly not too old.

I just started a week ago - I didnt have any schooling after 16 and before that most of my secondary education was home schooled to keep me away from bad associations meaning boys! I choose a course that initialy doesn;t have agreat deal of tuition at school although there will be some next year I believe. I am doing my BA - I was talking about it last night over dinner and felt so enthusiastic about it. I'm really excited if a little scared that I won't do well, but above all proud for trying as should you be.

• zagor
    zagor

I started my engineering degree at 18, managed to complete one semester and had to get out because of "well meaning" elders. Once I got out I re-enrolled at 27 which was almost 10 years down the track. A day after enrolling again it felt as if I never left. All those years somehow vanished in an instant. Must have been the atmosphere of University, I don't know, but if I could go back and redo those first days I would. I don't remember ever being as happy as back then.

Go for it!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Good for you Kwin!! I was your age when I started nursing school!! I was a single mom, and it was hard. We'd do our homework together!! It was hard, but worth it!!

shelley

• neverin
    neverin

Go for it!! Like Crumpet I left school at 16 with very few qualifications but went to uni part time to study for a BA aged 33. I am now in my 5th year of 6. I run a business with 60 staff, have 2 kids and run a home, but my studies are the thing I do that's just for me. I'm already planning what post-grad course to do because once you start learning again it is so addictive (even when you're crying at 1am struggling to get an extra 500 words into an essay).

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Good for you Kwin! I know you've got to focus on the practicalness of the education, but have fun with those electives. "Dinosaurs and the history of Life" as taught by the professor I had many many semesters ago was awesome. If you're majoring in biology, feel free to pm me, although its been more than a decade now, so I guess I'm the relic.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Good for you, Kwin!

I went to night-school (evening classes) here in the UK to get my GCEs. It's never too late!

I'm always impressed by the number of "oldies" (some literally in their 80s) who get degrees from the Open University here in the UK. It's a major national correspondence course on any subject (one has to attend lectures a couple of weeks a year, too, plus watch special programmes on TV) with a genuine degree at the end of it.

Ian

• scotsman
    scotsman

Good for you.

I started uni at 29 (while still a dub and an elder) and found that extra decade a distinct advantage. Because I had a life, and no fear of failure, I had less pressure than a lot of the 18 year olds despite continuing to run my business. Got my MA and now finishing an MSc and have enjoyed most of it.

Can't recall if you're single or not, but I've seen some relationships go through a crucible when one partner's at uni. But it's all character building!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Go for it Kwin what subject will you be studying?

I studied at college for my professional qualification between 18 - 24 years old whilst in full time employment but it was 'day release' so I actually got a day off work to go to college, I don't think that's as difficult as going to work for a full week and then college on top.

5 years ago, I started studying part time for a degree - so I was a few years over 28!! I'm studying by distance learning this time so I never actually go into the college - but the tutors stay in touch by phone, email and VLE (Blackboard website) keeps me in touch and interacting with my fellow students. I also have to submit the same assignments and take the end of semester exams so I have some motivation to keep up with the coursework!

I also work full-time but manage to balance the two. Sometimes its hard to motivate myself if I've had a busy day at work but I seem to manage ok most of the time.

neverin

(even when you're crying at 1am struggling to get an extra 500 words into an essay).

I can relate to that lol!!! My worst one was an essay on kenosis and I had only SIX words to find, but my head was completely empty and I didn't think they would appreciate "and everyone lived happily ever after" as a conclusion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit