Is Atheism/Evolutionism Dangerous? Questions for Unbelievers

by Perry 156 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zensim
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

In a previous post to Perry, I said:

I don't accept that this "spirit" inside you comes from a supernatural being, and therefore I don't accept your method of confirming truth as having validity.

Looking at this now, I regret my word choice, as it was a bit rude and doesn't convey exactly what I meant.

What I mean is, is that unless God is real, unless there really is an invisible, eternal, omniscient, morally perfect superbeing that communicates his standards of morality to those that believe in him through the "spirit" and scripture, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case, then the believer is simply following his own social conditioning and formulated opinions regarding morality, which is the the same as what nonbelievers do and freely admit to doing. But the believer insists that their moral opinions have more validity because they aren't his own but come from a higher source, but again, unless God is real, then they are just opinion and social conditioning.

• Golf
  • Golf
    Golf

Kindly explain your comment, "...how do you deal with the fact that you are a living contradiction of your own belief..."

Romans 2:21 asks, "...do you however the one teaching someone else, not teach yourself?"

I have my personal beliefs and I stick to them.

Golf

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

elderwho,

What many religionists, especially of the Christian variety, seem unable to comprehend, is that atheists, agnostics and non-Christians do not view themselves as totally depraved and yet seem to be able to fulfil the Christian ethic to 'not judge others' with a far greater ease than do many Christians, including Perry
    Hillary, Im curious, how is it that you come to a place in your life that enables you to "know" that all atheists, agnostics, and non-Christians are as un-biased and non-judgemental in their thinking as you claim they are?

Yet another person with severe reading comprehension. Get a grip folks, read and comprehend a little more carefully and you will be doing both yourself, and others a kindness by not wasting their time. Read the posts that led to my comments, the those posted in rebuttal. Just a little tip - this is what you have to do to understand why a person wrote what they wrote and what they mean by what they post. HS

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    Yet another person with severe reading comprehension. Get a grip folks, read and comprehend a little more carefully and you will be doing both yourself, and others a kindness by not wasting their time. Read the posts that led to my comments, the those posted in rebuttal. Just a little tip - this is what you have to do to understand why a person wrote what they wrote and what they mean by what they post. HS

You make a pretty clear statement:

What many religionists, especially of the Christian variety, seem unable to comprehend, is that atheists, agnostics and non-Christians do not view themselves as totally depraved and yet seem to be able to fulfil the Christian ethic to 'not judge others' with a far greater ease than do many Christians, including Perry

C'mon Hilary!

• Perry
    Perry

DanTheMan wrote:

What I mean is, is that unless God is real, unless there really is an invisible, eternal, omniscient, morally perfect superbeing that communicates his standards of morality to those that believe in him through the "spirit" and scripture, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case, then the believer is simply following his own social conditioning and formulated opinions regarding morality

This is similar to hillary_step's insistence that I justify all of God's movements that are hard to understand before he could be persuaded to critically examine social conditioning as a source for his notions of good and bad. Since it is impossible for the finite to accurately judge the Infinite (just as it is for my two year old to accurately judge me or see my over-arching good) this somehow relieves him of the need to open his mind and examine that which is finite and that which can be critically measured. This is a costly logical error.

Here you assert that God's existence needs to be proven before you can the accept the fact that regenerated Christians have a substantially different Source of getting their knowledge of good and bad.

This kind of reasoning in a nut shell states that since you cannot do the impossible, I must be right.... which of course is non-sense, with all due respect.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Here you assert that God's existence needs to be proven before you can the accept the fact that regenerated Christians have a substantially different Source of getting their knowledge of good and bad.

Well...yeah! You say that you have supernatural forces working within you guiding your morality, this is a pretty outrageous claim! Of course I want evidence!

This kind of reasoning in a nut shell states that since you cannot do the impossible, I must be right.... which of course is non-sense, with all due respect.

Are you saying that I should just accept your assertions that your morality is from "substantially different Source" without question?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

elderwho,

You make a pretty clear statement:

What I am asking you to do is to read this 'clear' statement in context. Do you know what that means? This is the only way that you will COMPREHEND the thrust of my commentS.

You have taken this statement as if it were a stand-alone comment. It was responsive, not declaritive!!!! As such it was not intended to be taken literally - how embarrassing that this has to be pointed out to you elderwho. Go back and follow my comments and Perry's posts to that point. Perhaps then reason will win out.

Shaking head - HS

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Perry:

Hillary-Step,

Who are you to judge God so that I should follow your misdirection and judge Him as you tempt me to do? He is infinite in all respects.

Dear Perry,

Perhaps with a little clearer comprehension of your own words, you wouldn't have to start divisive threads such as this one.

Infinity is all-inclusive; and so One. So then your arguments for separation and duality are erroneous. There is really nothing to defend and protect. Put up your sword.

The problem is you use words like infinite to define your god, when in fact the mental image you prostrate before is so small as to include only you and those of like mind. The rest of us lay abandoned in the huge vastness outside your little deity. The fact is, no one and no thing is abandoned, nor can be. Your disunity which separates you out and makes you so special in your own eyes exists only in your mind and its limited understanding of the Divine.

This is the main reason why religion can be so harmful. It separates us and causes animosity. When in fact, there is no real enemy.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit