Homeschooling . Are you for or against?

by becca1 56 Replies latest jw friends

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

I homeschooled from K-12th, as a JW. My grade level on acheivement tests was always grade 7 and up, starting at age 6. I finished high school. I got 4.0 GPA in college (when I rebelled enough to go). I have even been smart enough to get out of the dubs..... (LOL). My sons were homeschooled. Yes, it takes lots of work and dedication. It takes a good relationship with your kids and enthusiasm. But it is worth it!!!!!!!

• gumb
    gumb

Has anyone read the book, "The Underground History Of American Education" by John Taylor Gatto? It's quite an eye opener.

• greendawn
    greendawn

As long as they arrange for the kids to have a social life it is better because it protects them from school dangers like drugs, underage drinking and underage sex as well as bullying and other violence from fellow students.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I'm mostly against home schooling. I know probably about 20 home schooled kids in this area, and all but 2 of them are disasterous examples. Kids who can't read - literally. Kids who have NO social skills. Kids who can't add to save their lives. It's appalling.

The two kids who are doing well, are doing very well. They are extremely bright kids, and the mother is 110% devoted to their home schooling. She has them enrolled in dance and music and gymnastics programs so they are with other kids their ages as well and can learn to interact.

That being said, I home schooled my son in 1st grade, because of relocation issues. He's very bright, and I had a structrued program to make sure we covered all the required material, but I found that he was almost impossible to motivate to do anything! He simply couldn't be bothered to learn to read or write.. for example. I was so glad to see his attitude do a complete about-face when he got into a classroom with other kids his age. He loved it. And now that he's in high school, he's getting an infinately better education than I could ever offer him at home.

I think home schooling has a place in certian circumstances, but in many areas, public schools are much better equipped to teach kids. That doesn't mean that parents should bow out of the process completely, but there should be good reasons for pulling a child out of school.

GGG

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

And yes, I know my last post is full of spelling errors but I can't get back in to edit it!

GGG

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Another example of homeschooling gone wrong -

My ex-wife's two youngest brothers - her mom decided to 'homeschool' them.
    She didn't finish school herself (I don't believe she did, anyway) - and she fancied herself as one of those school-marms from 'Little House'.

She set up her classroom... but it was more for HER - than it was for the boys.

Anyway - 'class' lasted as long as it took these two to figure out how to get outta doing anything related to school.

When they grew up and got married... their wives' were comparing notes one evening, and realized that they both had married a couple of illiterates. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Neither boy knew how to write well - and didn't know how to sign their own names in script handwriting (to sign their paychecks).

I still boil when I think of how she screwed these fellas out of getting at least a 12-year education.

They aren't stupid, either. Just un-educated - as far as knowing the basics.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

For 100% as long as it is being done right. The child must be exposed to many things and most homeschoolers are. There are homeschool groups that meet regularly across the US and they network. Children do not miss the positives of socialization but can avoid most of the negatives.

Takes parental dedication. In California parents end up spending as much time teaching their children at home as homeschoolers if they want them to learn anything when they do attend public school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit