Anyone here, have you had enough religion for the rest of your life?

by restrangled 88 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I reached a point, just prior to leaving the JWs, of being sick of religion. I wanted nothing to do with it, period.

Then I realised that I had been a member of a cult, rather than a religion, and so I opened my eyes and started looking around.

I found bunches of people going in a similar direction of travel, but with vastly different outlooks; all attempting to be the best they could, and not always succeeding, but somehow being okay with that. Some believed this, some that, some prefered their religion with music and dance, others prefered not. I found diversity where I had expected conformity.

I became reconciled to something that I had never known existed, because I had never had eyes to see it before. To be honest, I had never really been looking for anything positive in it, always picking faults as I had been trained to do. I decided to rise above my programming (which had been from birth).

Even if I never attended another religious service again, I'd be grateful for the insight I've been able to have into something that so many enjoy. Meanwhile I'll keep on enjoying it

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Been there, done that, digusted with it all. Never again.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks for all the great responses. It's nice to know there are so many with same feelings.

When ever I hear some one start preaching (from any denomination) I run for the hills.

r.

• juni
    juni

I served my time doing the organized religion thing. 21 years as a JW and before that 21 years as a Methodist. I personally don't need it in my life.

For me I feel a need for spirituality; am working on that one.

Juni

• rebel8
    rebel8

Religion doesn't bother me, unless it is a cult or a charismatic group. Those bother me.

I don't believe there is a creator still alive, and if there ever was, I doubt he, she, or they resembled the gods described in the bible.

However, once in a while I go to Catholic Mass. I like the artwork, music, peacefulness, and friendly people. It reminds me of what my childhood was like before the borg ruined it. I find it relaxing.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Here's one list of what "religion" means (my thoughts interjected):

1. a set of beliefs (What set? And how set?) concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies (No evidence of such agencies), usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code (See Aristotle, among others, about "moral" codes) governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon concensus by a number of persons or sects (And thus, nothing more than a concensus of people no more intelligent than me): the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices (Thus, having made a decision to abide by a certain set of rules...proving only that they were willing to live by those rules): a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics (Whose ethics??) or conscience (To each his own): to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

It seems to me that "religion" is, insofar as the above "offical" definitions of the word are used, is all a form of constraint, albeit in some cases self-imposed.

Perhaps such self-imposed constraints (in other minds, such a thing as called slavery) are a good thing!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Just as a sidebar; I'm really interesed by the stories of those who were seduced into the JWs. To what extent they were religious before they became JWs? I don't just mean in the "I was raised an Anglican or RC and one day the JWs knocked on my door...", or maybe I do, if that was your experience. I can't help wonder but that there weren't many "religiously" religious people brought into the JWs. That was my experience of seeing new ones. I don't mean that as a complete broadbrush, but just as a general comment.

Just wondering...

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Yes indeed, the jws were as much religion as I will ever want, I don't want any more.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    I for one cannot stand any religion on any level. How do you feel?

I have no use for any religion anymore and I am a much happier person. I don't know if there is a "higher power", but, if one or more does exist...I definitely do not fear nor love She/He/It. I don't care about any future reward or punishment.

However, since I was once a member of a religious cult and was thus fooled into thinking I had the "Truth", I must now say, "Never say never again." I'll watch and read and learn...who knows what I'll believe in a couple of years ?

Not me.

I do believe in , I can see it, feel it, taste it and pee it. I know it's real.

Rabbit

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

By using the standard JW practice of taking writings out of context, it's possible to turn this thread into almost any direction.

I go regularly religiously.

W

LMAO....stop it!

Just as a sidebar; I'm really interesed by the stories of those who were seduced into the JWs. To what extent they were religious before they became JWs? I don't just mean in the "I was raised an Anglican or RC and one day the JWs knocked on my door...", or maybe I do, if that was your experience. I can't help wonder but that there weren't many "religiously" religious people brought into the JWs. That was my experience of seeing new ones. I don't mean that as a complete broadbrush, but just as a general comment.
    Just wondering...

Interesting point, Ross. If you start that thread, I will chime in....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit