I could have been a Mormon!

by Zico 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Zico
    Zico

During my childhood, my Father would often tell stories of his life to me, one of his favourites being the story of how he became a Jehovah's Witness.

During some travels in the late 70s, he had his first real experience with the bible, when he shared a room with a Christian Fundy in Israel. The Fundy introduced him to many bible topics, such as the king of the North and Babylon the Great. I believe the final King of the North according to this fundy was Jimmy Carter, and Babylon the Great was the Catholics. Upon meeting, the guy insisted that there were only 7 months left till the end of the world, he had worked it out from the bible. 7 months later, the world was still here. My Dad denies ever believing this guy, I don't know if this is true (since he continued to share a room with him!) but it still set him on a search for 'bible truth'

Upon his return to the UK, in the early 80s, and unable to understand the bible, he prayed to God to reveal the Truth to him, and lo and behold, the very next day, who called at his door? Why, Jehovah's Witnesses of course! It couldn't be a coincidence, surely? He had found 'The Truth'!

Now, I work with a Mormon, and today, whilst he was talking about his religion, out of interest, I chose to ask him 'What made you become a Mormon?' his response brought back my Father's story to my memory 'Well, I wanted to know if there really was a God, so I prayed to him, to reveal himself to me and prove his existence, and the very next day, some Mormons called at my door, God must have sent them.' On hearing this, I told him that my Father was a Jehovah's Witness, and he had an IDENTICAL story, he prayed for Truth, and the Jehovah's Witnesses called on his door. My Mormon colleague was literally speechless, he had no idea how to respond, and after a short while he even admitted that he didn't know what to say to this.

So, it really was a coincidence! God hadn't sent the Jehovah's Witnesses to my father's door, just like he hadn't sent the Mormons to my work colleague's door, he couldn't have sent two, seperate, 'true' religions. If the Jehovah's Witnesses were directed to my Father's door, why didn't Jehovah send the Jehovah's Witnesses to my work colleague's door before the Mormons got there?

Perhaps then, millions of people constantly pray for Truth, and since the JWs call on so many people, it really is a coincidence that they sometimes call on these people! And I guess then, that if the Mormons had called on my Father's door that night instead, I'd be trying to escape the Mormon cult now! Funny how things work out, isn't it?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I had mentioned before that my Mom had been praying, while on the beach in Mississippi. Within several minutes a carload of JW's pulled up and asked her if she needed any help. She thanked them but said no. The ironic thing about this is my Mom is disfellowshipped, and back then we were taught that Jehovah didnt even hear her prayers, let alone answer them.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

You'd probably find it easier

• Zico
    Zico

'You'd probably find it easier'

• Zico
    Zico

'You'd probably find it easier'

I'd probably find it easier not to have been brought up in a cult at all.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

It's like how Dubbies confidently attribute someone being disturbed in the act of commiting suicide by JW's on the doors and listening to a message of hope as angelic direction. They ignore all the people who DID commit suicide because no one called, or those disturbed by a Mormon, Encyclopedia Britanica Sales man, etc., who thereafter never get round to the deed. Or that as they DO go round randomly knocking on doors, just as they will frequently distrub sex (coz it happens lots), they will infrequently disturb suicide.

Idiots.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Cause and effect traps are constantly surrounding us in all walks of life. The "black cat" fear is simply people having a bad experiance soon after crossing paths with pussy negra. Same with breaking a mirror or walking under a ladder. Too bad we want to connect dots that are not associated with each other but sadly, that is the way humans tend to abuse science. One anecdotal reference and we're ready to sign our lives over to some silly notion. carmel

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

For some reason, there were a lot of "God answered my prayers"-type experiences from the platform tonight. They all detailed someone who'd been praying earnestly and then were immediately contacted by JWs.

I felt like saying, "But other religions all have this sort of experience." I decided not to stir the pot.

• esw1966
    esw1966

I know that as I was leaving the jw's I wanted to know that leaving was the RIGHT thing to do. I was familiar with stories like yours so I prayed that if jw's WERE the true religion and that He wanted me to BE a jw that He would send a jw to my home or that I would SEE one.

I never did.........

I took that as a sign.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

'You'd probably find it easier..to get out' - I really should finish my sentences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit