Suffering as Art and Pain Found Within Beauty

by kristyann 14 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Richie, good idea. That's an area I hadn't even thought of! tallpenguin, the examples you pointed out were PERFECT. The funny thing is, I was just listening to that Johnny Cash song less than an hour ago! But I wasn't even really thinking of using it as an example. (By the way, I LOVE Walk The Line). The short story (or narrative, or whatever you want to call it) that I read and am sorta reviewing is A Hunger Artist by Franz Kafka, about the guy who is a professional faster and starves himself. I guess it was considered a form of art. (Actually, I think some people still feel that way, in all honesty). Tyrone, the website has been extremely helpful... and interesting! Thanks. Narkissos and freedom, I haven't googled your suggestions yet, but I am about to. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I'm glad that I'm going to have a lot to choose from here.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Baudelaire, Verlaine, Eluard

Artaud, Cioran

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I was just thinking that nothing typifies suffering and beauty so much as the human orgasm. Now that would make for an interesting read.

tall penguin

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    nothing typifies suffering and beauty so much as the human orgasm

That's also a topos of Hesse -- I remember another passage in Narziss und Goldmund where he describes the identity of pleasure and pain on a woman's face.

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

****I remember another passage in Narziss und Goldmund where he describes the identity of pleasure and pain on a woman's face.****

this reminds me of the times during a birth ( I was working as midwives assistant) that many of the mom's partners would say something to the effect that the noises a woman makes in labor (pain) are identical to the noises she would make during sex (pleasure)

which leads me to another idea Kristyann.....the experience of birthing women. most women will say that birth is painful but also one of the most beautiful experiences of their lives.

poetry in motion....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit