"Published by Jehovah's Witnesses"

by Nosferatu 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

"Published by Jehovah's Witnesses"

What the hell is up with this statement? I've seen it occur a lot since I've been out of the org. Shouldn't it be "published by The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society"? What is behind the frequent use of that statement?

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I don't know but I've been wondering the same thing.

bump!

• VM44
    VM44

I am glad you asked this question, as I have wondered about it myself.

The "Jehovah's Witnesses" that go door to door have NO printing facilities!

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, a non-prophet(!) corporation, is the entity that produces books and magazines, but whomever is running the cult today does not like to mention this fact.

Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT publishers! They don't print anything at all. They are distributors of literature printed by the WTBTS.

--VM44

• blondie
    blondie

I've pointed that out before in my reviews. 2001 was the last year that the WTS used the phrase "published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society."

*** w01 2/15 p. 9 Searching for Deserving Ones in Kenya ***

Published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

I thought the change was to direct attention away from the publishing company aspect. The WTS also changed how it advertises the DCs too saying "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" rather than "Watchtower..." on the large signs outside the convention buildings; probably for the same reason.

It also seems to coincide with the addition of corporations and changes in names at the Annual Meeting in 2000.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It doesn't seem that long ago that the Society was saying this like this:

"However, about a hundred years ago the "faithful and discreet slave" class again began to come forward as a loyal advocate of God’s Word. With the years it has become ever more visible and noticed by the world. The facts show that today this "slave" is identified with the Watch Tower Society" (15 March 1982 Watchtower, p. 21).
  • Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    VM44 said - "The "Jehovah's Witnesses" that go door to door have NO printing facilities!"

Then why do they call the average JWs - 'publishers'? <tongue firmly planted in cheek>

It's all just part of the 'shell game'.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

They used to give credit to "Jehovah's Organization". Now, they just give credit to "Jehovah's Witnesses". Either they've completely removed Jehovah from any writing, editing, or inspirational duties from the publications, or the WTS is trying to detach themselves from the publications so they can say "we didn't write that"

• sir82
    sir82

Seems like another CYA move.

If they ever print something that could lead to a lawsuit, who do you sue? In the past, well, it was printed by the "Wathctower Bible and Tract Society", a real corporation operating under NY or Pennsylvania corporate law.

Now - who do you sue? "Jehovah's Witnesses"? What exactly is that? How exactly do I sue "Jehovah's Witnesses"? Can I sue "fast food restaurants", or "car manufacturers"? No, I need a specific target.

A religion run by lawyers - is there a more frightening entity that you can imagine?

• Gill
    Gill

'Jehovah's Witnesses' sounds more like a religion that wouldn't have to pay taxes on its literature should a tax law come in, that the Watchtower Bible and Tract company, which sounds like a publishing company.

A publishing company SHOULD pay taxes on its literature whereas a religion.....well.....perhaps not.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Beyond the lawsuit avoidance going on here, it seems like they may be playing fast and loose with things-if the JWs are in charge of what they write, and the GB is in charge of JWs, who gets the money for the WWW? Who is in charge of the finances? Is the corp. a non profit religious org? Or is the JWs the non profit religious body? Ultimately, no matter what they SAY, there is a money trail that shows who is the publisher and who controls what they say. . .right? Where's Oroborus when you need him?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit