National Dean's List.

by jeeprube 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23
    I was just nominated to the National Dean's List. I know that there are a lot of other college students and college graduates here, anybody ever been on it? Did it help your career, or is it just a waste of time?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

I get PTK letters in all the time but didn't want to cough up the cash.

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Congrats Jeeprub,

I'm listed for 2005-2006. I should by the book, but I'm cheaping out. I haven't tried applying for any scholarships yet, just don't have time, but I'm going to have to make time because I transferred to a 4-year and the tuition is $$$$. I'll keep you posted if I do. If anything, it's good to put on your resume'. Scholarships.com is a good site as well.

I'm also a member of PTK, (Phi Theta Kappa), they also have scholarships too.

BTW, I created a discussion group on Google and Yahoo for us college guys and gals to discuss these kinds of issues. There's only 3 of us on google but discussion is dead now. I welcome any college students or alumni to join!!! From my experience is pays to network.

Best,

NYCkid

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    Did you join Phi Theta Kappa (the 2-year college honor society)?

Yes, I was inducted last semester. It looks like there are three of us here who are members. Going back to school has been very therapeutic for me. I've rediscovered my love for Mathematics, and am finally taking Physics. NYCKid, send me a link to your discussion group, I'd love to join. What are you guys majoring in? I'm going into Electrical Engineering.

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Hey,

That's awesome Jeeprube. My hat off to you, I'm quite dense at math, in fact I had to drop calculus and right now I'm taking "Evaluation of Evidence," a sociology course that my school accepts to satisfy our QR/Math requirement...so far so good...PTK is cool, I bought some merchandise from them and for my 2-year graduation party, some friends bought me a PTK hooded sweatshirt which I wear alot. It almost felt like getting inducted into a secret society...kinda cool.

Now I'm a junior and I just declared the creative writing major. It was a difficult decision since I was also interested in Poli Sci, Anthropology or Environmental Biology/Sustainability. That latter two required a few math courses so I chickened out. I love writing tho and I figure I can write about the environment, people and politics. I'm interested in non-fiction/journalism, but some creative writing courses I'm taking have sparked an interest in screenwriting. My school doesn't offer a non-fiction major except for English and Comparative Literature....(which I found stuffy and boring at my school).

My dilemma right now is whether to pursue grad school, perhaps we discuss this on the discussion board. I didn't plan ahead really and not sure which direction I really want to go. I begged my parents to let me attend college and of course I couldn't, so I pioneered instead. Finally I'm doing it and although I'm in my mid-30s, it's great but alot of work. Here's the group info.

* Group name: Jehovah's Witness College Students
    * Group home page: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/JW-college
    * Group email address [email protected]

• Quentin
    Quentin

Yes...twice...better was the certificate I received for all round achievement in my major...big hoopla ceremony at the college for that...feels good to walk across a stage get recognition for what you've done...can't beat education, best thing anyone can do for themselves...congrats for making the list...

• truman
    truman

Very nice to meet my fellow Phi Theta Kappans! As for my college career, I am an English major. Math is something I try to avoid (though I am taking my final transferable math course this semester. The instructor says it is "math for poets") .

Have either of you been to any of the larger PTK events? It really is quite an active organization if one wants to become involved. Mostly because I was able to accomodate the relevant dates, I was sent by my local chapter to attend the week-long PTK National Honors Institute convention last summer in Delaware. Interestingly enough, the topic of study was "Gold, Gods, and Glory: The Global Dynamics of Power". We actually had Ghandi's grandson there as a speaker. It was quite an experience.

There were times at this event though that my anti-cult spider senses were tingling. Some of the members have an almost religious devotion to the organization. Overall though, it was very worthwhile, and no one tried to baptize me.

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Truman, thanks for sharing your experience at the PTK conference. I would probably have gone to one. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get inducted into PTK until my last semester at my 2 year because I had a pre- requisite math course that I had to finish and I waited until the last mintue. Even though I had all As, the pre-requisite prevented my induction into PTK. I missed out on alot of PTK activities, and I really didn't realize what it meant and the scholarship benefits. At the time, I was attending part-time and really just showed up for classes and went home....lol. Now at my 4-year I left my job and am going full-time, making friends and getting involved in student groups. It's great fun!

What a departure from my high school days where I barely could get a 3.0 and sometimes not even that. A JW in my high school class was valedictorian but for my parents, school/education wasn't really valued, something to tolerate and get behind us and they never pushed us hard in that regard. Their emphasis was always Jehovah's "education" and the preaching work.

Email me privately to tell me more about your experiences with PTK.

Best,

NYCkid

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

PS is any current college people on Facebook?

Best,

NYCkid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit