Facts about the NT Bible

by Amazing 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Codeblue:

After finally realizing that Constantine (pagan) decided what books were to be put in the Bible, I wondered which ones are missing? and WHY would a pagan guy be allowed to decide which books a Christian should read? It to me totally throws off the authenticity of the Bible.

Leolaia is correct. In addition, Constantine was not a pagan at the time of the council of Nicaea in 325. He had already converted to Christianity for 12 or 13 years. He held a prominant postion, but it was the Bishops that really counted.

As I noted above in previous comments, the compilation of the Bible did not begin until the late 4th century, long after Constantine's death. It was Pope Damasus who requested St. Jerome to engage in the project. The result was the latin Vulgate. Through the centuries, some books would be in the NT and then some books would be removed. There is still debate over such books as Revelation. For years, Hebrews and the Espitles of 1st and 2nd Peter and others were strongly disputed by the Catholic church, but finally made it into the Bible canon. The NT Bible was developed by the Catholic Church and was not considered inspired until the 7th or 8th century.

Jim Whitney

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I heard the book of John was disputed also and almost did not make it into the NT. Most believed it differed too much from the other 3 gospel books chosen and sounded too gnostic. (I think I got the right term) Also a debate was on about Revelation or the Apocalypse of Baruch, with Revelation winning out. The council putting the NT together did not think 2 Apocalypse type books were needed. I would recomend that people who have an interest in the Bible try to read as many of these books as possible. I happen to love the Apocalypse of Baruch because it gives an answer to questions such as; what happened to the Ark of the Covenant? Are the Jewish people going to be restored back into favor with God? what will happen to the earth in the future? Also why God's judgement on Israel was so severe, and how the faithful remnant of Jews reacted to it. (I am not telling, read it yourself). I also like the books of Enoch, and the Epistle of Barnabas. Lilly

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I personally wish the very beautiful Odes of Solomon (which have similar thoughts as the gospel of John, but which are poetic and picturesque) made it into the New Testament instead of Revelation....Christianity would have probably developed quite differently if this had happened....

• Amazing
    Amazing

Lovelylil and Leolaia,

You are quite correct. In addition, the Shepherd of Hermes was in the Bible but the Church later removes it. It too is a helpful book. The Apochcrypha with Wsidom, Tobais, etc. are also good, but the Protestants removed these in the 2nd edition of the King James because they were too supportive of Catholic doctrine. Sometimes, I really wonder what is true and accurate.

Jim Whitney

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    In addition, the Shepherd of Hermes was in the Bible but the Church later removes it.

Rather than saying that it was removed (which implies that the NT canon was more fixed than it really was in the earlier stages), one might say that its canonicity varied from place to place until a later consensus emerged which excluded it. The view that ultimately prevailed favored apostolic or quasi-apostolic status for books of the NT canon and thus works like 1 Clement and Hermas, which portray themselves as post-apostolic, lacked this status.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Leolaia,

Yes, you are absolutely correct about the Apostolic and quasi Apostolic status, which would be disciples that either walked with Jesus or the Apostles ... or someone special like the Apostle Paul.

Reading my above comments again tells me that I need to check my typos and grammar ... I am getting worser and worser. Yes, I know, worser is not a word.

Jim Whitney

• marsh
    marsh

Hi,

I was given this info,and have been asking lots of questions since,I have enjoyed reading your comments. Thanks.

LT I was in a reformed church until recently,Have also tried out ,or rather been led to others churches.I was raised very strict RC,then converted to JWS at a time when I was very vulnerable,Though I did believe the JWS and lived the life.

http://www.moriel.org/sermons/forgot.htm

http://www.catholicapologetics.net/0002kjv.htm

http://www.ukapologetics.net/1hislopbaby.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit