Native American Wisdom

by lovelylil 18 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I wanted to share some pearls of wisdom from a book of Native American Proverbs. btw: anyone here from a Native American background?

When we show our respect for other livings things, they respond with respect for us - Arapaho Proverb

It is no longer good enough to cry peace, we must act peace, live peace, and live in peace - Shenandoah Proverb

Life is as the flash of the firefly in the night, the breath of the buffalo in winter time - Blackfoot Proverb

Enjoy! Lilly

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::btw: anyone here from a Native American background?

There's Cherokee Indian in the bloodline on my fathers side.

Here are some Cherokee Indian quotes that I thought were good:

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

mis,

I really like those! I like any type of proverbs including the ones in the Christian bible. And I have a lot of respect for the Native American people. Since I am from Massachusetts, my kids get to learn a lot about Native American culture including the REAL Thanksgiving story. The Natives march on Plymouth MA every year to protest the white man celebrating that time when Native Americans were slaughtered and their land taken. My daughter last year said we should join them next year and march with them. I thought that was a great idea.

I love the Native American culture and how they have so much respect for life and nature. We can really learn a lot from them. Lilly

• Twitch
    Twitch

I'm half Algonquin from my mother's side. Don't eat yellow snow,... :-)

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

1854 C.E. Chief Seattle quoted as saying "...even the rocks, which seem to be dumb as they swelter in the sun along the silent shore, thrill with memories of stirring events connected with the lives of my people. This we know, Earth does not belong to Man; Man belongs to Earth. This we know, all things are connected like the blood that unites one family. All things are connected."

• Nellie
    Nellie

I am mostly American Indian. I believe the Lakota Tribe. My mother's mother was 100% indian, but she died when my mother was 6 and we have absolutely no information on her family. My father's family is said to have Cherokee in it, but again I have no real information.

Through the years I've tried to do research, but have come up blank. It's something I really want to explore.

• Golf
    Golf

I belong to the Five Nation Confederacy (Mohawk). Benjamin Franklin spent a great deal of time with the Confederacy. I live on a reservation near Montreal called Kahnawake (Caughnawaga. Mohawks have been doing high steel worker for decades.

Yes, we have plenty of stories to tell. Our people have a high respect for Mother earth. I'm a strong believer in my Creator. To us, he is not simply God but in our language "One who made us" more personal.

Thanks for asking.

Golf

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thanks everyone.

Golf,

I am glad you mentioned about Native Americans believing in a Creator. Many "white men" do not understand that the Indians believe in a Creator just like they believe in a Creator. Misunderstanding the N.A. beliefs has caused people to discriminated greatly against them and label them as heathen peoples. The same was done to African Americans. But in my country (U.S.A.) the Native Americans were discriminated against first.

That is why during Thanksgiving, they protest in Plymouth, where the Pilgrims landed. Most Americans celebrate thanksgiving but the N.A. people see the pilgrims landing here as the beginning of a bad time in their history.

Does anyone know any other N.A. proverbs or teachings?

Peace, Lilly

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

My grandmother was Blackfoot.

Generally the American Indians have a far vaster sense of the Divine compared to the narrow and diminutive beliefs of Christians.

I heard once that when confronted with a Christian missionary trying to convert her, an Indian matriarch said: "You find your god within ink and paper which come to nothing in the wind and rain. We find God within the wind and rain".

j

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

TWO WOLVES One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply smiled and replied, "The one you feed."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit