Please recommend books/websites about early church history..

by AK - Jeff 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Cover may not depict edition offered for sale
    A History of Christian Theology: An Introduction altmore books like this
    by William C. Placher
    </form>
    altaltQuickBuy: Click for the lowest-cost copy in very good condition or better from our most reliable sellers.
    $19.95
    (used softcover, see detail )*
    alt
    altalt
    altShips within 2 to 3 daysalt
    alt
    alt
    altadd to wishlist

"This intellectual history, a story of people and their ideas, is a delight to read. I predict it will be widely used not only in colleges and seminaries but also in lay institutes and study groups"........John D. Godsey in The Christian Century
    see all copies from $19.95!
    new only from $20.66! | SVS Click for books eligible for free or discount Super Value Shipping.

I read this book and found that the history of the trinity doctrine very interesting.

• Jeepthing
    Jeepthing

After we(whole family) decided to study about early church history and orgins of different teachings, doctrines, and religions. We highly recommend some of Bart D. Ehrman's stuff. We are in our last lecture on "From Jesus to Constantine: A History of Early Christianity". This also come in as book. I think he is pretty detail about many developments in early years and down to present time. You could check out these items from public libraries(we bought them because we didn't know that libraries have these item and also could get them from other libraries in the area or even from outside of our library system as paper request). You could also check this website for more of related subjects under religion ---www.TEACH12.com. We watched these lectures when we stopped going to meetings on Sundays to easy the habit of going to meetings. We decided that we were going to educate our kids about different religions and their origins and teachings to help them so if they decided to get involve in something, at least they would know about it. Library also have videos from Schlessinger media on different religions. Bart D. Ehrman got some good books on early christianity too, if you prefer a book. I have

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

For source texts:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/index.htm

For a classic (not recent) introduction:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/416247091?item_no=30955&event=CF

Still older but online:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/harnack/dogma1.html

(And a number of other classics available from the search in the root page.)

• anakolouthos
    anakolouthos

A lot of good info in here. Thanks, everyone.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

As a result of the wonderful suggestions here, I have found and downloaded [several thousand pages] PDF's of all the early church fathers and writers. This will be more than I can reasonably read in short order - but I have begun, having read Clement of Rome's letter to the Corrithians, and begun a couple more contemporaries of Paul and John also. I have found no 'striking' information thusfar - that is info that would make me about turn in my current belief structure - but likely I will encounter some surprises.

thank you all so much for these references. My goal is to understand where the early church was doctinally, as I formulate my own opinions.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit