Your thoughts and ideas on how and why the WTS.started, a background study.

by thetrueone 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Spectre and thecarpenter

check out my link it was a real education about the early days

• Spectre
    Spectre

Just saying "money" might be the wrong term. However, control might be the better term and all that that implies. Control over people and control over the huge big empire it has become.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

a publishing house, designed as a religion

• Spectre
    Spectre

Your link isn't working Lady Lee.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/127356/1.ashx

I forgot it won't work if I am copying it from my posting history

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Russel was a professional sales man as we know, I wonder if he exploited verse out of the bible to spur the circulation of his own litature ......ummm.

• Vida
    Vida
    It was never about preaching. It was about selling books - lots and lots and lots of books

And make lots and lots and lots of money !

To live a comfortable life in New York.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

a couple of the highlights regarding the colporteur work as instructed by Russell himself. The books in question here are the Studies in the Scriptures sold individuall, as a set of 3 or the whole set of 6

Saturday Morning, July 28, Library Hall

Colporteur Meeting

At the close of the Praise and Testimony meeting, Brother Russell addressed the friends on the subject of the Colporteur work, and said that so far as he could understand the leadings of the Lord’s providence, the Colporteur work was one of the principal means the Lord is using in this harvest time for the accomplishment of the work of the harvest

Q. Which do you advise now, sets of three or five or six?

A. I think a great deal depends on the colporteur himself whether he could sell five or six or three better. As far as our experience goes, it would seem to indicate that the majority can sell three copies just about as easily as they can sell one copy.

The selling of three for 98 cents seems to strike people as being remarkably cheap, whether they are interested in the books or not. You could say "There are two sets of these studies; the first set is 98 cents; the books of the other set are thicker, and if you want them either now or in the future you can get them also." So you see you can let them know there are two sets, but in speaking of them as different sets, you are thus keeping their minds free from thinking that they were not getting a complete set. Each book is really complete in itself.

Q. Would you always advise where people ask if those books are Millennial Dawn that we pursue the course mentioned by the brother here? Sometimes they have the Millennial Dawn books in the house, and if we sell them the Studies, and a half hour after we are gone they discover they have got exactly the same thing, and must realize that we knew it was the same thing, wouldn’t it prejudice them? Is it always wise?

A. I should say I do not think a case, such as you mention would occur once in a thousand times, that the person who knew what was in Millennial Dawn would be opposed. It is when they have a misconception of it when they are opposed. Therefore when you have such a question, you are merely having a question with a wrong face to it in their minds. Another brother did this way: He said, "In some respects this book is very much like Millennial Dawn, and by-the-way Millennial Dawn has a great many things in it." The party bought it, but he would not buy Millennial Dawn. I would not advise, however, that any person should violate his or her conscience in the matter.

the Millenial Dawn and the Studies series are the exact same books with a different title. So if they have the first set and they ask about this, whether they are the same, deny, distract and sell it to them again.

I have been royally ticked off at how often the WTS slaps a new title on a book changes a paragraph or two and sells it again. Now I know where they got this tactic from - Russell himself!!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Philosopher and sociologist Max Weber had an interesting theory (routinization of charisma) on how bureaucracies emerge from an originally charismatic movement, and it fits very well what happened following the succession of Rutherford to Russell, and even more after the succession of the very bureaucratic Nathan Knorr following Rutherford (compare other examples like Bingham Young following Joseph Smith, Josef Stalin following Vladmir Lenin, the Diadochi following Alexander the Great, Paul and his successors following Jesus, etc.)....the story of the JWs is very interesting because it shows strikingly how a business corporation can virtually "take over" a church, such that Pastor Russell's authority did not derive from his being the "President" of the WTB&TS but from his charismatic office as "Pastor" and "Faithful and Wise Servant", but Rutherford's power was entirely based on his status as "President" of the WTB&TS, and he worked throughout his life to make WTB&TS structures a formal part of religious life (e.g. removing the elective elders, making company servants, the Theocracy, etc.), and the corporation had the height of its power during the days of Nathan Knorr such that the "governing body" originated from the WTB&TS board of directors and the "President" had autocratic power.....even today, after the GB has been delinked from the corporation, there is still deep reverance for the corporation as "God's organization"...tho since the days of Rutherford the term "Society" has been blurred to refer to both the corporation and the "Christian congregation" itself.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Good list, jwfacts! Thanks, and Definitely a Bible explosion in the 1800s, so of course the Devil had to step in with his Occult Revival just about the same time period, so we have to wonder, how many paths crossed over each other? Here's an article covering this subject...

THE NINETEENTH CENTURY OCCULT REVIVAL
    The Legacy of Westcott & Hort

http://watch.pair.com/occult.html

* The Age of Reason
    * The Romantic Period
    * The Occult Revival
    * The Anglican Spiritualists
    * The Anglican Apostasy
    * The Society For Psychical Research
    * The Fabian Society
    * The New Testament Scheme
    * The Revision Committee
    * The Legacy

----------------------------------------------------

AGREE 100% with Junction Guy: "I'm a Christian and still believe in the Bible, I feel that the WT Society is PART OF SATAN's PLAN FOR THE ANTICHRIST."

Amen and Amen, brother!

-----------------------------------------------------

Also AGREE 100% with Honesty:

* NEW WORLD ORDER
    * NEW WORLD TRANSLATION of the HOLY SCRIPTURES
    * NEW SYSTEM of THINGS
    * NEW LIGHT

And don't forget "NEW ORDER" -- which was the WT's shortened version of NWO. ;-)

And Judeo-Masonic infiltration very possibly because NEW LIGHT & "ENLIGHTENED ONES" = SAME THING if you ask me.

Also, Honesty, that is a Right-On BINGO QUOTE from WT-1952! It's definitely a Keeper.
    ***w 52 7/15 p.432 par.1 Patriarchal Society***

If the WT was not STARTED BY Masons, I am certain they were INFILTRATED somewhere along the line, and I've heard from one Illuminati defector's testimony that her family told her (because she was young then) that the WT AND THE MORMONS had meetings with the Illuminati in the 1950s. Look for the interviews at Centrex News of Svali, there's 18 interviews, and it was in one of those about the WT/MORMONS.

The 1950's is also when they started their antichrist Bible project, the NWT. It makes ya wonder who those "anonymous" translators really were...

/abbagail

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit