Learning Guitar - What is a good beginner guitar - (sell me yours?)

by confusedjw 32 Replies latest social physical

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Seagull guitars are made in China also and respresent excellent value for money. Just to prove the point, a friend of mine ( who has been voted by Rolling Stone as one of the top 1000 guitarists of all time ) cut a whole CD using a $160.00 Seagull electric and it sounded superb, though my advice is to spend the money and buy a very good instrument.

The earlier Takamine's ( pre Martin dispute ) can still be picked up on ebay at a good price and the tone is magnificent on these guitars - they can hold a note for ever. Earlier Fenders are very good too. Be sure to check the action and neck as over time a badly set truss rod can distort the fretboard enough to make playing impossible. Gibson or Martin are very expensive, but you get what you pay for, but my own personal favorite in acoustic guitars are the Larrivee guitars made in Vancouver. BC. http://www.larrivee.com/flash/products/products.html

A good teacher is indispensible, but if you want to go it alone, try a good software package. Guitar Pro is first class http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php and has all the scales, notations, etc. you will ever need. It also links to a database of guitar tabs and plays music on screen so that you can follow along.

Good luck - HS

• seek2find
    seek2find

If money isn't a big concern, look at Taylor or Breedlove, they sound awesome. seek2find

• james_woods
    james_woods

I notice nobody has mentioned Estaban...

You could spend the money he saves you on your car insurance!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Any SG or SG style guitar are good. The strings play close to the neck and it is a little shorter resulting in the strings not being as hard to press. Plus humbuckers sound great. But if you need a tremolo... this guitar will not work.

(sell me yours?) Mine are not for sale

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

** I've written my own song to play on xmas day for the family - done in true Adam Sandler style.**

Please, Oh! Please oh Please...

Record it and share it with us, too.~~!!

-Denise.

Are you nuts! I've only been trying to make chords for 3 weeks!

• hambeak
    hambeak

A Washburn D100 acoustic is and excellent guitar for beginners.

Go to musicians friend.com and you will see some listed for 129.99 free shipping

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Those of you who know about and recommended this brand - which one should I go with?

COMPAREJasmine by Takamine S34C NEX Cutaway Acoustic Guitar The Jasmine by Takamine S34C NEX Cutaway Acoustic Guitar is a great sounding beginner's guitar at a great price. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides,...
    Price: $119.99 Item Ships Free!
    List Price: $249.99
    Rating:
    COMPAREJasmine by Takamine S35 Acoustic Guitar A remarkable value, the Takamine S35 Acoustic Guitar features a spruce top with nato back and sides. Full body binding and chrome machines are...
    Price: $99.99 Item Ships Free!
    List Price: $199.99
    Rating:
  • hambeak
    hambeak

I saw your post about a Takamine and I asked Jake who has been a professional guitar player for over 40 years.

His guitar of choice is the les paul and he also has a duolean. He said if you get a takamine you probably won't be very happy with it.

Go to a guitar store and try some out see what you think, how they feel to you and the sound and the quality of construction

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

If I had to choose, I would take the first one.

Strangely enough, I had a custom one built with that very same wood combination.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    His guitar of choice is the les paul and he also has a duolean. He said if you get a takamine you probably won't be very happy with it.

I think that Confused is looking for an acoustic guitar.The Gibson Les Paul is a solid body model. I have a Gibson Jazz guitar if you have a spare 20k to part with.

The older Takamine's ( pre 1979 ) are superb guitars. Like many things in latter days quality of contruction has been compromised to keep shareholders happy, but the older guitars have the advantage of good quality woods now aged which is even better, excellent designs and can be picked up for a song on ebay.

Spend $1000 on a good guitar and it will be with you for ever. Spend $150.00 one one and it will be tossed out next year for a $300 guitar, which will tossed out the year after that. eventually the $1000 guitar you buy will have cost you $2000.

Much more of our well-meaning advice and you will not just be a ConfusedJW, but a ConfusedSixStringWonder. ;)

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit