Camera Lens Help - Digital Rebel

by confusedjw 10 Replies latest social physical

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Hey folks - can someone recommend a reasonably priced lens for my Canon Digital Rebel? I have the 6.2 meg version.

I tried the Canon 70-300 lens which was about $150, but it was "soft" when you zoomed in.

Any personal experience in this arena would be welcomed!

~ConfusedJW-no-more

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

This is so funny! My bf just got me a new lens for xmas, and had me open it early, I have a digital rebel also. My lens is( EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.) I only tried it a few times, but it has auto focus on it, and seems to work great! What i do, is zoom it manually, then switch it to auto focus, so it is sharp when i take the pic. Seems to work. They are on sale now also, best buy!

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    This is so funny! My bf just got me a new lens for xmas, and had me open it early, I have a digital rebel also. My lens is( EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.) I only tried it a few times, but it has auto focus on it, and seems to work great! What i do, is zoom it manually, then switch it to auto focus, so it is sharp when i take the pic. Seems to work. They are on sale now also, best buy!

congrats buttlight! You will do great with it... I am sure.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    congrats buttlight! You will do great with it... I am sure.

Thanks spark! I just need to go practice now lol

One thing i did notice though, it seems to drain my battery after just a few shots. Never had that happen. (unless my battery is getting old)

$234.00 bucks

2823760 Angle Detail

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens
    Model: C21-9892
    alt
    This compact, lightweight, wide-angle telephoto zoom includes full auto aperture metering and manual focus to capture the details you want.
    • Telephoto zoom
    • 13 elements in 9 groups
    • Angle of view: 32°11' - 8°15'
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hi confusedJW, something to consider about it being "soft" when you zoomed in. If you are at 300mm on that camera, you are at the equivalent of about a 450mm lens on a full frame 35mm camera.

At long lens lengths, every possible vibration is magnified onto your image. So, you may want to test it using a tripod and with delayed shutter release (so your finger doesn't induce shake).

Otherwise, the rule of thumb for hand-holding your camera is 1X(the focal length)(and remember, on your camera, the focal length is 1.5X what it would be on a 35mm), so to be assured of true sharpness hand-held at 300mm, you'd need to be shooting at close to 450/second.

Of course, you may be saying that it is "soft" when you "zoomed in" to the picture (more technically: cropped tightly, viewing the image), at all focal lengths? In which case, it could just be a not so great lens. However, be aware that digital images, raw off of the camera, almost always need sharpening, even on very expensive systems (in fact, it's worse on expensive cameras, because they leave camera sharpening turned off so that you have a more "raw", unprocessed image). You may not notice this however, until you are doing something like "zooming in" (tightly cropping) and looking for sharpness.

Good shooting, and I'll be back for another installment of camera geek next week.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Ps... even a 70mm is a lens on the "long" side. Many people don't realize that you have to use a tripod or have a relatively fast shutter speed even for something in that range, to get ultimate sharpness.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

someone stop me.

• serendipity
    serendipity

No, please don't stop, six. My daughter wants me to buy her a couple of lenses and this is great info.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Thanks ButtLight and DON'T STOP SIX!

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

NO, dont stop, but could you explain that all in plain english lmao. When my bf bought that lens, she told him i would have to use a tripod

almost always. Just the slightest movement, and the pic wont be sharp. Thats the only thing i understood about your whole post lol. But hey,

thats me for ya!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit