Goodfellows make Christmas special for JWs at "their" request!

by Atlantis 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/4394987.html

Goodfellows
    Tresalyn Gray sits on the couch with husband Jermaine Giles and daughter Ikea, while her other children, Brajae', from left in front, A.J. and Jernay on his shoulders, share a laugh. Giles was severely injured in an auto accident in April and has not been able to work. Tony Bullard: For the Chroniclealt

Since Tresalyn Gray's husband was injured in a car crash in April, she has focused on dealing with the emotional stress on her family. But with the holidays approaching, financial stress is setting in, too.

Without the income of her husband, Jermaine Giles, who worked for a glass company before he crushed his pelvis and broke his femur, shoulder and facial bones, there's not much money to buy holiday gifts, Gray said. The hospital bills, too, keep adding up.

"After you finish paying all the bills and things, there's nothing," said Gray, 29.

She asked Goodfellows to help make the holiday season special for her four children: A.J., 14; Ikea, 13; Brajae', 10; and Jernay, 6.

"I just wanted a little help, mainly with the two little ones," Gray said, sitting in the living room of the house she rents in northeast Harris County. "The bigger ones, they understand."

Gray had been a stay-at-home mom and an accounting student, but she is now looking for a job, preferably a customer-service or clerical position, to help make ends meet.

She and her children are Jehovah's Witnesses, who do not celebrate Dec. 25 as a religious holiday. But Gray said she usually gives her children some gifts at Christmas so they can fit in with their friends. This is the first time she has had to ask for help, she said.

Giles, 26, recently started walking again and uses a cane to get around the house. But he has a long recovery ahead before he'll be able to work again.

"He was broken from head to toe," Gray wrote to Goodfellows. "Thanks to God, today he breathes normal and is trying to walk again."

Goodfellows benefits needy children ages 2 through 10. It is funded by contributions from the public, and all money collected is used to buy gifts. The Chronicle pays other costs.

Randalls and Kroger stores will donate to Goodfellows a percentage of purchases made by their card-holding customers. Customers at Randalls should tell the store to link their Randalls Remarkable cards with account 5078. Kroger customers may request Goodfellows Kroger Share Cards by calling 713-362-7405.

Nevada-

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So she started having kids at 12?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

mrsjones5:

LOL! Something certainly seems to be rotten in Demark!

and

Where are the elders and the congregation during all this "emotional distress'?

Thanks mrsjones5!

Nevada-

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Doesn't look like there's another kid sitting in the lap of the girl in the red shirt?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

mrsjones5:

?????

Nevada-

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Holly crap! She's just cranking out those kids!

I wonder when the Goodfellows Knock Up Factory is going to do an IPO? I'd buy that stock!

So she started having kids at 12?

29 - 14 = 15 You're right about that extra head at the bottom. I suspect her 14 year-old has already had a kid. "The rabbits don't fall far from the tree!"

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

14 or 15. 26 is her husband's age.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Bunch of mathematicians here, eh?

bczar

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Crushed pelvis, broken femur... why is she sitting on his LAP?

~Sue

• carla
    carla

umm, what the heck would the hall & elders say about this gift giving so they fit in? rather worldly thinking isn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit