"JW" asks for Xmas from charity

by Justitia Themis 16 Replies latest social current

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Rebel

Can't get the link to work. Keep getting an "error" message from this site.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Tre Bazaar!

bczar

• moshe
    moshe

I read that story this morning and my first thought was that the local KH told them to get help from local charites. Heaven forbid they take up a collectionat the KH to help a down and out JW family. They couldn't be very strong JW's or they would have spent more time in service and less time making a large family.

• BCZAR2ME
    BCZAR2ME

Sub-for-Santa, a nonprofit organization I work with, donates gifts to families in need every December. This year we're "adopting" a Jehovah's Witness family. I know Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate holidays, but is it OK to wrap the gifts we purchased in a nonholiday wrapping paper?
    The problem here is not the wrapping paper but the day prompting the gift, since Jehovah's Witnesses consider Christmas to be a pagan holiday. J. R. Brown at the Jehovah's Witnesses Office of Public Information suggests not doing anything the week of Christmas itself. Also, you might consider providing a service for the family rather than giving a gift. That way, you'd show that you care, but your gift might not be seen as a Christmas present.

• carla
    carla

providing a service for the family rather than giving a gift-- So a service type of gift isn't a gift? If you ordered say, snowplowing service or something that would be an ok gift for a jw? Ok, sure that makes perfect sense.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Many charities give at the season, but it doesn't have to be 'christmas' gifts. They don't require that families celebrate christmas to get the gifts. They will share with jewish or muslims families or christians. The giving is often from non-christians also (if it makes you feel any better).

Shelly

• rebel8
    rebel8

crazybb......hmm, that is strange, it worked yesterday.

Go to AndersonInfo's topic history. It was a topic of hers, she started it within the last few months.

Basically, some jw family signed up to receive XMas gifts for the poor through a charity but promptly requested the gifts not be delivered on XMas (or something like that). Newsweek reported on it and interviewed wt spokesman JR Brown.

I wrote a letter to the Newsweek editor about it but of course it wasn't published.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit