PROVE ME WRONG!!

by Terry 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Let's play a game I just made up called PROVE ME WRONG!!

The object of the game is to shoot down as best you can a positive (no negatives allowed) assertion that has been made by one of your opponents.

You must do it in two sentences only. You cannot do it with a mere contrary assertion. You have to give a reference to back your argument up.

Eloquence, pithy clarity, pointed relevence all count for much.

Here is the format:

You first make a positive assertion of your own and place it in a box like this one:

Terry asserts: There is no meaningful difference between faith and superstition.

You follow this by your proof that the opponent of choice is wrong by doing this:

Terry asserted: THERE IS NO MEANINGFUL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAITH AND SUPERSTITION.
    1. Superstition is fearful behavior often involving avoidance rituals (Wikipedia: Superstition is a deviation of religious feeling and of the practices this feeling imposes. It can even affect the worship we offer the true God, e.g., when one attributes an importance in some way magical to certain practices otherwise lawful or necessary. To attribute the efficacy of prayers or of sacramental signs to their mere external performance, apart from the interior dispositions that they demand is to fall into superstition.)
    2. Faith is a positive conviction that good behavior connected to morality is a superior way to live.

Consequently this PROVES TERRY WRONG.

(The two numbered assertions belie the phrase (meaningful difference) and refute it.)

Okay, got it?

Below is my first real assertion:

Terry asserts: Women who read romance novels are suffering a neurosis. PROVE ME WRONG! (Source: Wikipedia:

There are many different specific forms of neuroses: pyromania, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety neurosis, hysteria (in which anxiety may be discharged through a physical symptom), and an endless variety of phobias. According to Dr. George Boeree, effects of neurosis can involve:

...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc. [3]

Okay, that ought to get the old fire burning in rebuttal.

Remember, you can assert anything.

Have fun!

• Woodsman
    Woodsman
    Terry asserts: Women who have more than two pets are suffering a neurosis. PROVE ME WRONG!

1. Owning three goldfish would hardly qualify as sufferring a neurosis. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neurosis
    2. Women with more than two pets may also have objective evidence of disease, http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neurosis
    Woodsman asserts: There will never be peace on earth because humans are a warlike species.
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Everything I say is a lie.

• Terry
    Terry
    Elsewhere says:

Everything I say is a lie.

1.Everything you say is a lie is a lie. (JWD)"Everything I say is a lie."
    2.If you were telling the truth about lying you'd be lying.
    Terry asserts: This Topic will not go over 10 hits.
  • Mystla
    Mystla

UhOh! I don't read romance novels (yuck!) but I do have 2 cats AND a dog!! Somebody have me commited! (hubby might object..who would cook for him?)

Sorry, I have no assertions to make! (not today, anyway)

Misty

• hideme
    hideme
    Terry asserts: There is no meaningful difference between faith and superstition.

Uhm... in fact this is exactly the same thing my 12-year old daughter told me a few months ago.

She said: " If some people think they will have bad luck when they break a mirror, and other people think they have bad luck when they don't do exactly as the bible tells... then what's the difference? You behave in a certain way because you think that will bring a better future, and if you don't behave that way, it will bring a bad future. So, I think superstition is the same as faith."

I thought she has a point.

I didn't think of such things when I was 12 years old...

• Norm
    Norm

Oh that's easy Terry.

You are wrong!

Norm

• Terry
    Terry
    Oh that's easy Terry.

You are wrong!

Norm

Q.E.D.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Where ever you go,there you are...OUTLAW

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Terry asserts: Women who read romance novels are suffering a neurosis. PROVE ME WRONG!

Terry,

You are trying to control the arguement by making a statement that cannot be defined.

Do all women who read romance novels suffer, or just more than one? If you can find more than one wome who suffers neurosis does that prove a link between reading and neurosis? Of course not. But I think that is your point.

The way you frame your arguement is the means of controling the arguement.

BTW, how do I get rid of this damn highlighting??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit