The Watchtower After Hours: Education?

by Anitar 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anitar
    Anitar

Good afternoon everyone and welcome to my new series of reports I like to call The Watchtower After Hours, where we examine many various topics relating to Jehovah Witnesses, mostly found on their own website:

http://www.watchtower.org/

I'd like to point out that these articles are all current or previous publications of the Watchtower Society, and have not been written or changed by me. The following commentary is usually quite sarcastic and if any current Jehovah Witness is reading this they are more than welcome to post their opinion, and I apologize in advance for offending anyone. Anyone and everyone who is not offended however, is more t han welcome to join the fun

Now that I'm done covering my ass, lets get down to business. Tonight's topic is Education. What's that you say? You can't remember the current Watchtower view of education? Well, I'll try my best, the education stance flip flops faster than Judge Rutherford at an alcoholic's anonymous meeting. Here's the perfect gem of spiritual food I found:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/20051015/article_01.htm

HAVE you ever been so overwhelmed by problems that you felt as though you were drowning in a whirlpool? Just imagine how much suffering could result if you made a mistake in coping with one or more of those problems!

YAWN, get to the point! It's a good thing I have the Watchtower to uncover these deep mysteries of life. Where would I be without their wise council?

No one is born with the ability to solve all problems successfully, making good decisions every time.

DUH! You people are really going for the Nobel Prize in the sociological study of human behavior! Yet somehow we're supposed to believe that a ten year old who would rather die than receive a blood transfusion is speaking with his own mind?

Many, both young and old, extol the importance of an academic education. Some experts even say that they “fully believe that you will never be able to find a [decent] job without a college degree.” Yet, there are a number of human needs that go beyond material achievements. For instance, does higher learning help you to be a good parent, mate, or friend? For that matter, people admired for their intellectual achievements may develop undesirable personalitytraits, fail intheir family life, or even end up committing suicide.

Take a good hard look at that last line. Where on earth do they get the authority to make such a ludicrous statement? What study do they base this on? Absolutely nothing. For those of us familiar with this subject, we know what's really going on here. The Watchtower hates higher education because college teaches you to think for yourself using critical analysis skills. For a Jehovah Witness, this almost always leads to critical analysis of the Watchtower's history and the truth behind their beliefs. But for a Jehovah Witness to have knowledge is very dangerous to the Watchtower, as it uncovers well over a century of lies and crimes against humanity. So they cloak this fear by teaching witnesses that college is a waste of time and full of nothing but immorality. That's how they come to make such incredibly bias and wildly inaccurate statements like this.

Some look to religion for guidance, a source of education, but become disappointed because of not receiving practical help to face life’s difficulties. Illustrating this, Emilia* from Mexico says: “It was 15 years ago that I felt that my husband and I simply could not be together any longer. We argued all the time. I couldn’t get him to stop drinking. I frequently had to leave our small children by themselves while I went looking for my husband. I was emotionally worn out. Several times I went to church seeking something that might help me find a solution. Although the Bible was occasionally used, I never heard any counsel that directly dealt with my situation; neither did anyone approach me to tell me what to do. Sitting in church for a while and repeating some prayers did not satisfy me.” Others may become disillusioned when they see how far their own spiritual leaders are from living an exemplary life. As a result, many lose confidence in religion as a source of training or education for a successful life.

Now who saw this coming? Attack all religion in general with a vague condemnation of no particular church using a person who probably doesn't even exist. I suppose going to the Watchtower meetings and listening to the elders' "advice" on how to overcome your problems by "praying more" is alot better.

Remind me when in history the number of suicides among college graduates ever exceeded that of Jehovah Witnesses. Or for that matter, when was the success of a family relationship ever ruined by obtaning a college degree?

And as for immorality, college is what you want it to be. If you skip classes and party all the time with drugs and alcohol, than it will be the shortest vacation of your entire life. But as for a JW who wants to have a job where you say something other than "you want fries with that,?" This is what happens when you let an uninspired organization of men decide your morality for you.

Anitar

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I like your new "After Hours" series....very good reading (between the lines). It is ridiculous what they will say in their literature.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Remind me when in history the number of suicides among college graduates ever exceeded that of Jehovah Witnesses.

Excellent point.

For that matter, people admired for their intellectual achievements may develop undesirable personality traits, fail in their family life, or even end up committing suicide .

Since we are generalizing here without concern for feelings- People who work at the factory all day tend to go out drinking afterwards to drown their sorrows. They become bitter and hate their family for holding them back. These are the suicide alerts. Most college grads have pressures on them, but many families are happy with the opportunities that the breadwinner provides them.

And as for immorality, college is what you want it to be.

So true. The traditional student may be wild at times, but he has to get his grades. What most people see is such a concentration of young people in one place. Young people party. Compare that to a military base or the clubs in a trendy part of Manhattan- young people who party after hours. Many students are part-time students who are not partying at all.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

You know what 'Anitar' your SPOT ON!!!! I remember when i was 18 and first started studying the bible but wanted to go to University, the Brother (A ministerial Servant) tried to put me off. He actually tried to frighten me by saying:

"Now Steven if you go to University and Armaggeddon comes in one of them 4 years your there, What will happen to you?"

followed by:

"YOU WILL BE PUT TO DEATH WOULDN'T YOU"

Yes its pretty sad when these people have to resort to using fear as thier ultimate control tool to get you to do what they want. After that time everytime i heard an article about Higher Education in a Watchtower magazine or another WTBTS publication they always avised against it, criticized it or sometimes even condemed it. Well here i am years later with a good job that pays decent money and i'm contented all because i DID go to University and didn't listen to them. They're so full of sh*t its unbelievable. Your spot on with your observations & comments you've made with the Society's material there, i'm glad someones brought up this subject. Thankyou for that!

LFCViking

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Anitar:

Great post. I know it has been said probably hundreds of times before but let me say it again: Their stance on education is ridiculous and tragic for anybody who heeds it. They are NOT going to come to the rescue of any poor JW who didn't get an education and can't pay their rent or car insurance! This point can't be stressed enough.

Anybody who gets up on the podium and speaks against education deserves to have angry, desperate people turn up on their doorstep. They must be made accountable for the things they tell impressionable young people (and even some gullible older people).

LHG

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

You could change some words:

For that matter, people admired for their intellectual achievementselders admired for their Organization achievements may develop undesirable personality traits, fail in their family life, or even end up committing suicide.

There are many many powerful elders who;s children are not JWs and are estranged from them. The same goes for many powerful Organization leaders in the Writing Department, C.O.'s D.O.'s, etc.

The niece of one of the main men in writing department contacted me through JWD regarding a writer I mentioned by name in one of my early posts. The whole rest of his family thinks he is a complete wackjob and is the butt of most family jokes.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

You know what aswell, its so hypocritical of them because so many of the Elders & Mini Servants, have good jobs i.e Teachers, Architects, Surveyors etc where they DID go to Uni & college to get the required education they needed. So what the hell are they talking about!?!?!?!?!?

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Anitar: As usual, a very good post. I once learned in psych that sometimes the more ridiculous something sounds (that a person believes) the more he believes in it. I was thinking that it might have been entirely possible that the GB was SO sure about 1975 that they truly didn't consider the long-term effects of JW's not going to college: less money to contribute, people missing meetings because of having to work 2 or 3 jobs, etc. Then again, the GB might have just wanted the tight control over JW's in the area of morality, control of their time, and so forth. It's hard to analyze the WT because they are not sane people. I took a course (with a VERY large book) called "Abnormal Psychology". I'm going to look through that book and see if I can find examples of the WT's behavior.

It does seem odd that a religion would make and enforce policies that would end up hurting them. But there are so many variables to the insanity of the GB's thinking (or should I say "lack of thinking") that I almost don't know where to start. They seek educated people to serve at Bethel, yet paint anyone who goes to college as a bad and unspiritual person. How can they possibly believe that they can have it both ways? Do they really think the world (and the JW's) are so stupid as to not see this hypocrisy? I finished the degree I started in 1968 and will never again allow anyone to tell me what to do. Actually, it's not education per se. It's the entire idea of turning over my life to old morons that I object to. Once you get past the fact that the GB is NOT the truth and that elders are NOT approved by anyone's God, it's easy. Fear, concern about God's approval, and other things no longer motivate me (and others) to go against common sense. In fact, the more things the WT does and says that are not in harmony with common sense, the more they prove to everyone that they are NOT from God.

I was 55 when I finally got my BA. I urge everyone to obtain whatever schooling you want to. The hell with the WT. The Proverbs contain many verses urging us to use our brains. Why does the WT ignore the Bible?

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hey Mike thanks for the post, and congratulations on the BA, I wish my mom would go back to school but alas, "there are more important things."

I think you are referring to cognitive dissonance. Many of the elders and Watchtower leaders have a college degree and yet they deny one to the rank and file. And they expect them not to notice this. The Watchtower ignores the bible because they are afraid of it.

Take for example the following quotes. Even though they are over 50 years apart, I think they still speak volumes about the watchtower:

*** Watchtower February 1st 1952 pp. 94-95, paragraph 5, Questions from Readers***

Jehovah is no respecter of persons. Neither are his people. But the world in which we live is.

***Watchtower October 15th 2005 pp. 4, paragraph 3 What Is the Best Education?***

God is not to be blamed for the present conditions, nor has he ceased to be concerned about today’s problems. Jehovah has always been interested in man’s welfare

I find it hard to believe an organization that makes such statements and still claims to be "God's only channel of communication." You would think such lofty representatives could at least get His message straight. Or perhaps God has changed in the last fifty years and now actually gives a damn about us? Perhaps in the future, the Watchtower will flip a coin and God will change His mind again, and we can all give up hope since He will no longer care about us. Not at all confusing right?

Thanks to everyone who responded and special thanks to Blondie for helping me find the quotes.

Anitar

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

College is a source of positive pressure, the kind that rewards, builds up, and leaves you with something valuable afterwards. JW life is a source of negative pressure, the kind that tears down people from the inside out with guilt and shame and demands constant obedience with no reward and nothing that can be used for the rest of your life. Everything they teach supports dependency. Independent behaviour will always be antithetical to their teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit