Christianity - a thoroughly ”pagan” religion

by Norm 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Norm
    Norm

It is quite amusing to read Watchtower publications where they with badly hidden scorn criticizes the Catholics for willfully adopting pagan holidays and customs into Christianity.

Pagan Beliefs “Christianized”

*** w84 4/1 p. 9 Insight on the News *** “In A.D. 601, Pope Gregory the First, known as Gregory the Great, issued an edict to his missionaries concerning the native beliefs and customs of the peoples he hoped to convert,” states a recent issue of Natural History magazine. “Instead of trying to obliterate peoples’ customs and beliefs, the pope’s instructions were, use them. If a group of people worship a tree, rather than cut it down, consecrate it to Christ and allow them to continue their worship.” Calling this a “brilliant concept” and the “basic principle in Catholic missionary work,” the article continues: “Catholic holy days were purposely set at the time of native holy days. Christmas, for instance, was assigned the arbitrary date of December 25 because it corresponded to the midwinter celebration of many peoples. For the same reason, Saint John’s day was set at the summer solstice.”
    However “brilliant” the idea was toward the spreading of so-called Christianity, it certainly is not God’s way of doing things. When the Israelites were about to enter the Promised Land, they were instructed by God to destroy thoroughly all pagan worship there. (Numbers 33:52; Deuteronomy 7:5, 6) And for true Christians, “clean and undefiled” worship requires that they keep themselves “without spot from the world.”—James 1:27.

Of course most people who confess to be Christian are either unaware or otherwise ignorant of the amount of “pagan” elements in their religion. Upon examination there are indeed very little that can be said to be “Christian” except perhaps for the name.

The “Ransom Sacrifice” which is one of the most cherished doctrines of Christendom and a very late addition to it was lifted out of two well known contemporary cults in the North Mediterranean world namely the Mithras and Dionysus cults which had a God/Man dying, resurrected, ascending to heaven and brought salvation. Virgin birth, miracles, healing etc is also well known elements in several “pagan religions”

All in all folks Christendom is in fact a 100% pagan religion, so all of you “true believers” out there might want to be careful when you libel something pagan as you belong to such a religion yourself.

Norm

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Christen-dumb

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Define "pagan".

Do you mean non-Christian? If so, there being "nothing new under the sun", you'd be hard pressed to find any individual items in any belief system that are truly unique. But just as you can blend the basic ingredients of flour, water, salt, milk, butter and egg and get a variety of results, so too with religion. I'd hate to be told that my breakfast pancake was actually a bagette or a taco or a sponge cake.

I agree with the basic premise that the WTS identifies basic ingredients, pours scorn on religions for using them, yet contains many themselves, thus proving themselves hypocrites. However I disagree with the notion that Christianity is truly a "pagan" religion, for if the term is being used to denote something non-Christian then by definition there must be a Christian belief to be in apposition to.

Besides the combination found in Christianity is unique. A similar argument might be constructed concerning humans being made of the same constituting atoms and over 90% the same DNA as so many animals, but I assure you I'm not an aardvark! Where I would be a hypocrite would be if I denounced all other forms of life as inferior because they were composed of that dirty carbon stuff.

The patchwork continues, but I prefer to call an egg an egg, and a cake a cake.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

In recent discussions of the "Ransom" doctrine, I have read (I think from Narkissos) that JWs are the only group that tie "sacrifice" into the concept, and that "Ransom Sacrifice" is not an idea promulgated in mainstream Christianity.

However, I agree that most Christian concepts have roots in pre-Christian worship. Any attempt to remove pre-Christian influence is only ever going to be a "pick and choose" affair, whether it is Christians who reject Halloween traditions but love their Christmas tree, or JWs who keep their bridal traditions.

• Gill
    Gill

Isn't a 'blood sacrifice', ie killing someone, something that pagan's do.

The OT is filled with pagan ritual sacrifices!

So Christ had a sacrificial death. (supposing there was a Christ)

The whole thing smells ...... ancient paganism to me. In 'Christian' countries, we do no allow religious sacrifices of animals and certainly NOT human. And yet the whole culture is meant to be built on a sacrifical murder.

Twisted!

• KW13
    KW13

yeh, i was talking with my ma' recently and we got to the pagan thing (the cross e.t.c) and she could NOT accept that Wedding Rings have pagan ties and origins.

• Norm
    Norm

Hi there Tinytoe

You said:

Define "pagan".
    Do you mean non-Christian?

Yup, that’s what Christians generally mean by it, isn’t it?

If so, there being "nothing new under the sun", you'd be hard pressed to find any individual items in any belief system that are truly unique. But just as you can blend the basic ingredients of flour, water, salt, milk, butter and egg and get a variety of results, so too with religion. I'd hate to be told that my breakfast pancake was actually a bagette or a taco or a sponge cake.

And so what? I totally agree with you. Religion is a cake or soup or whatever you want to call it.
    Mixing all the different ingredients will still get you the same basic product namely, superstition.
    It might be dressed up differently, but it is basically the same 5 dollar hooker.

I agree with the basic premise that the WTS identifies basic ingredients, pours scorn on religions for using them, yet contains many themselves, thus proving themselves hypocrites. However I disagree with the notion that Christianity is truly a "pagan" religion, for if the term is being used to denote something non-Christian then by definition there must be a Christian belief to be in apposition to.

I think we can safely just include the Watchtower Society in this one as this applies to all denominations that confess to be Christian. When it consists of 100% pagan elements it is of course well and truly pagan.

Besides the combination found in Christianity is unique. A similar argument might be constructed concerning humans being made of the same constituting atoms and over 90% the same DNA as so many animals, but I assure you I'm not an aardvark! Where I would be a hypocrite would be if I denounced all other forms of life as inferior because they were composed of that dirty carbon stuff.

What’s unique about Christianity? Why do you think other life forms inferior to you?

The patchwork continues, but I prefer to call an egg an egg, and a cake a cake.

Indeed and I prefer to call Christianity just as pagan as whatever they like to define as pagan.

Norm

• garybuss
    garybuss

Ya know Norm, one of the things I never figured out about the Jehovah's Witness people was their pacifist position while claiming the old testament characters were Jehovah's Witnesses. Some of those old testament characters who supposedly were Jehovah's Witnesses were whore banging war lords. How do they unplug from that?

• Norm
    Norm

Well Gary,

I guess being a whore banging warlord has its advantage, particularly of you are on the delivery end of it. As you can see it is still all the rage in the Middle East. I guess it is about that "old time religion" as it is in the US bible belt.

Norm

• Satanus
    Satanus

LT

Besides the combination found in Christianity is unique. A similar argument might be constructed concerning humans being made of the same constituting atoms and over 90% the same DNA as so many animals, but I assure you I'm not an aardvark!

Our uniqueness doesn't constitute us nonanimal. Each animal species is unique as well, but they are still animal. Each pastery/bread is unique as well, but it's all pastry/bread.

S

Ps, jws claim they are unique, most christians claim they are unique, muslims calim they are unique, jews claim they are unique. Maybe it's a sign of insecurity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit