People turn back to the religion they know best, when in distress.

by free2beme 12 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The thing is, this is so common. As much as people will say they dislike the religion or they do not believe in it. I have seen time and time again, people return to that religion or what ever religion they were raised in, when times of distress happen, as it is the comfort zone or what they feel most basic in believing. Has anyone else experienced something like I mentioned happen in my life. I know a few former Witnesses locally, that had things like this happen. Just wondered if others on here, did the same.

What you describe is a behavioral stress mechanism, when people are under stress they revert to behavior that they previously found successful, thats very typical of humans. I work with juveniles in detention. Part of our mission is to teach them new more effective behaviors when under stress. That is what you have to do for yourself, through self improvement. For the rest of our lifes outside of the Jw's our life is our own. If a person doesnt know what he/she stands for they will fall for anything. Everybody serves somebody or something. It's up to you to program yourself for what that somebody or something is. I would recomend regularly reading self help books feeding your brain some pure mental protein so you will be strong when the winds of change blow in your life.

On a side point to this topic, I remember when my father died of cancer 3 years ago. He was never a Jw. As far as I know he was never religious. People say their is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole or and atheist in a life boat. But my father died a terrible agonizing death, especially the last 2 weeks of his body shutting down and till the end he told me he never made a deal with god. He said he wasnt going to make no deals. My father was raised in a broken home. He probably never had any religious upbringing, so he didnt fall back to making any deals with god. He had no religion to turn to. All he new was what he could do himself. In my eyes while he had terrible pain, he had tremedous personal dignity and integrity.

• Terry
    Terry
    On a side point to this topic, I remember when my father died of cancer 3 years ago. He was never a Jw. As far as I know he was never religious. People say their is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole or and atheist in a life boat. But my father died a terrible agonizing death, especially the last 2 weeks of his body shutting down and till the end he told me he never made a deal with god. He said he wasnt going to make no deals. My father was raised in a broken home. He probably never had any religious upbringing, so he didnt fall back to making any deals with god. He had no religion to turn to. All he new was what he could do himself. In my eyes while he had terrible pain, he had tremedous personal dignity and integrity.

Thanks for sharing that. What a wonderful dignity and integrity, indeed!

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think we are more prone to do this kind of thing, when we are in the age group of 18-25 too. Those are so much the years about searching and learning emotional balance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit