What percentage of those disfellowshipped get reinstated?

by jwfacts 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I remember reading somewhere that only 1/3 of people disfellowshipped get reinstated, but can't remember where. It may have been one of Franz's books, or even a Watchtower. Can anyone remember if such a figure has been given, and what it was?

• blondie
    blondie

"Elders disfellowship 50,000 to 60,000 Witnesses around the world each year, Brown said. "It's not an unusual occurence, as far as we're concerned," he said. ... Brown says disfellowshipping inspires wrongdoers to come back to the religion. Those who want to reapply can do so, but they must adhere to Witnesses' policies. They are allowed inside the Kingdom Halls but are ignored by the other congregants until readmitted to the faith. Each year, Brown said, 30,000 to 40,000 are reinstated, having "come back to their spiritual senses." " ( St. Petersburg Times Newspaper, August 22, 2002 )

http://www.silentlambs.org/Whydf.htm

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/08/22/Floridian/Spiritual_shunning.shtml

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi jwfacts,

I remember hearing that as well, possibly at an assembly, but I don't remember which publication it was in, though my bf thinks it might have been a kningdom ministry some years ago. It would have to have been at least 7 years ago for him to remember it..

From my own experience, that figure actually sounds a little high. I doubt if more han 20% of disfellowshipped/disassociated ones ever came back while I was in the org, so either the figures are much higher elsewhere, or the wts are exaggerating.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

In 1995, there was a special campaign brochure in Germany "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Neighborhood - Who are they?" On page 14 it states:"Last year, 1,335 (only 0.8%) have expressed that they no longer want to be considered as JW. In the same timeframe, 378 former fellow believers have taken on again the Christian life style as Jehovah's Witnesses." That is a rate of 28.3%, a little under a third. But it is only the German figure.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks everyone. Blondie, that figure sounds like a bit more of Browns propoganda trying to make the JWs look good. It seems way too high.

I just did some keyword searching on the WT CD and came up the following quotes.

*** w74 8/1 p. 466 Divine Mercy Points the Way Back for Erring Ones ** "Thus, in the United States (where there are now more than half a million Christian witnesses of Jehovah), during the ten-year period from 1963 to 1973, 36,671 persons had to be disfellowshiped for various kinds of serious wrongdoing. Yet, in that same period 14,508 persons were reinstated, accepted back into the congregations owing to their sincere repentance. This is nearly 40 percent of the total."

*** w60 12/1 p. 728 "During the service year of 1958-1959 there were 6,552 individuals disfellowshiped by the New World society of Jehovah’s witnesses for various reasons. Many of these were cases of immorality, either fornication or adultery. Where it became proper and timely, mercy was displayed, and there were 1,597 of all disfellowshiped during past years reinstated during the 1958-1959 service year upon proof of godly sorrow, repentance and reformation."

That 1960 figure works out to be only 24%. I think 33% (1/3) would be a fair average over time.

I would imagine it is getting less than that now. Many of my friends discover the internet after getting d/f, and so will not be going back, whereas in the past they may have considered it.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My question is, of all those df'd and reinstated, how many are "repeat offenders"? How many actually stay??

I know it only took less than a year after I was reinstated, to leave, for good. My daughter was a year old and fussing. Everyone keep looking at me like I needed to "take her to the back". I "snapped". I remember looking around, and realizing there was NO WAY IN HELL I was going to raise her like that!! I knew when I left the KH, I wouldn't be back!!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I dont believe the numbers.........they are like field service numbers to me......all jacked up or down or however.

I hardly see anyone come back.

purps

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Ask my MIL and she'll tell you 'most come back to Jehovah' and she can spout names for you who did - and if I point out that most often it's because they don't want their family to treat them like they are dead - well - it's like the words haven't been spoken. It's not the numbers that count - it's the reason they go back that should be the concern. One thing thats most ridiculous to me - is the repentance allotment for reinstatement. If you move to another congregation but your reinstatement has to come from your old congregation - from Elders who might not like you or hold grudges - how can repentance be measured? They don't see you. They don't know whats in your heart yet they can keep people from getting back in that are really repentant just because they want to. sammieswife.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    most often it's because they don't want their family to treat them like they are dead

Very true, I know a few recently that have been reinstated whilst still doing wrong or not believing, just so they could speak to family. They then fade or become Sunday JWs.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    so either the figures are much higher elsewhere, or the wts are exaggerating.

I have often said that the numbers we KNOW about (field service) are clearly bogus, so why should we believe the other numbers they report are any better?

Brown's figures appear heavily inflated, based on my 30 years of experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit