remarriage after divorce

by luffy 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• luffy
    luffy

Does anyone know if after divorcing a spouse for reasons other than adultery, although adultery may be suspected, if I would be free to marry a witness if my ex spouse was in a relationship or remarried someone else after the divorce..Ive heard different versions and am not sure

• garybuss
    garybuss

In the United States, if the divorce is final, either party is free to marry again.

• luffy
    luffy

I know..but from a witness point of view?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Do what ya want. If the Witnesses shun ya, delete them from your speed dial and from your will.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

According to JW rules, if your ex spouse is in a relationship you would be free to remarry. That being said, some bodies of elders apply the rules according to their own whim. A lot depends on whether or not you are liked by them.

Go with Gary's advice. If the law of the land says you're free, then do as you please. The watchtower does not have authority above the law of the land.

W

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

My understanding is that if she is in another relationship, i.d. not married again you have to have PROOF of sexual relations (used condoms????) but if she is married you can assume the marriage has been consumated and you are free!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This past summer, while I was still an elder, a case actually came up.
    A sister in our congregation eloped. The guy was divorced for over 10 years.
    Our elders actually made a big deal of it and decided to investigate whether
    he was "scripturally" free to marry our sister. What a joke. I said "He and
    his exwife are worldly, what are the odds that they haven't had sex with
    someone els in 10 years?" Not good enough for those boys. I said I would
    have nothing to do with it.

Turns out, they could never find out if the exwife gave him his "scriptural" freedom
    because she has been dead for a few years. What a bunch of mopes they must
    have looked like peering into someone's life like that.

Tell the elders nothing except this, "We are scripturally free to remarry." Then if
    they want specifics, don't give it to them, even if it's favorable to their inquiry.
    Stick with "We are scripturally free to remarry. Yes, I know what that means."

• luffy
    luffy

surely if his ex wife was dead he was scripturally free to marry anyway

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

See BOE letter 7/20/98, page 2. I dont have a link but someone else I am sure will have. Whether or not this still holds 8 years later, I dont know.

• calico
    calico
    surely if his ex wife was dead he was scripturally free to marry anyway

Ya think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit