Religion vs. Christ

by *jeremiah* 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Religion vs. the reality of a personal relationship with Christ. The following is what I have come to believe the through bible reading:

Religion: Can have outward forms that bring us into bondage to those forms

Reality: Has inward faith that brings true spiritual freedom

Religion: Can have petty rules, the letter of the Law

Reality: Has underlying principles, the spirit of the Law

Religion: Can have man-made traditions, which make us proud

Reality: HasGod's own words, which make us humble

Religion: Can produce self-righteousness, which falls far short of what God requires.

Reality: Leads us to the imputed righteousness of Christ, which is everything we need.

2 Peter 3:18 (NKJV) But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.

*This is not to say all christian religions, churches, are false. I believe a good church can truly help personal growth in Christ. But, that's the key, it should be personal growth in Christ, not personal growth into a Churches ideology or doctrine.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Amen! Couldn't have put it any better myself. Lilly

• Hannah
    Hannah
    Amen! Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Diddo.

it should be personal growth in Christ, not personal growth into a Churches ideology or doctrine.

Priceless comment. This is why I love reading posts in this forum. Honest hearted, reasonable people. Thanks for sharing with us.

• Jake99
    Jake99

Religion is speculation and faith and Christ is a man of great works who wishes to put an end to all religion and unite the planet.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

Does an answerer of questions welcome a person presenting guesses into their personal thoughts as answers to others?

Oh yeah...this guy really can read my mind and know my thoughts plans and intentions...he has me all figured out...my buddy..

• oldflame
    oldflame

For me religion is a man made program, not saying that religion is a bad thing it can be good and bad. Christ is based on a faith which is what the scriptures say. One faith one baptism. Not one religion

• heathen
    heathen

Good points . I believe that morality comes from a personal relationship with God and not from a religion. Idealism is not morality . The problem I have with religion is when other people try to be your conscience .

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Religion is a prison, Christ is just one of the jailers.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

*jeremiah*:

What you call the "reality of a personal relationship with Christ" is just your religion. You're a Christian, by the sound of it from some American Protestant or Restorationist sect (or some pick-n-mix derived therefrom). One of the teachings of your religion is that you can and must have a "personal relationship" with "Christ". Other people have different religions which teach different things.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Hey Derek,

Yes, you're right. My point, though, is not necessarily what I think and believe, but what the bible really says about such things versus what "religion" or the WTS tells us. I think this is valid because of what most of us have been slaves to for so long. We've been slaves because a religion says, "this is what the bible says". Yet the Bible actually teaches the opposite on many points, rules, or even doctrines.

For example, the WTS says go out in FS atleast 10 hrs a month. A publisher who gets 12 or 13 hours feels really proud and righteous. Probably much more righteous than when he gets 8-10 hours. This religious form promotes self-righteousness and pride. Whereas, the bible teaches the exact opposite, and says that we can never be righteous enough by our own means and that pride is not good. Only through faith in Christ and then through Him we become righteous. Therefore pride doesn't exist, in fact, the opposite happens, and humility comes into play.

When I say "the reality of a personal relationship with Christ", I mean the bible's teaching on "the reality of a personaly relationship with Christ."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit