There is no such thing as Agnosticism. Agnostics do not exist!

by nicolaou 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Many here seem to believe that the position of agnosticism is somehow more reasonable than theism or atheism. Nonsense! It is a misconception to believe that belief or non-belief in the existence of god/s are the two extremes which glare at each other over the fence of agnosticism. In fact it shows a misunderstanding of what atheism actually is.

Atheism is not the belief that there is no god, it is the lack of belief that god does exist. Think about that. There is no such thing as agnosticism, it's not a middle ground because there is no middle ground to occupy.

If you are unsure as to whether or not god/s exists then you do not have the belief that he/she/it does exist. You lack the positive belief of the theist which thus defines you as atheist.

Fun isn't it . .

• becca1
    becca1

I always understood that an atheist does not believe in God-period-. An agnostic is not sure, maybe hopes there is a god, and leaves him/herslf open to the possibility.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Strictly speaking, agnosticism is not limited to the question of "God," it's a philosophical stance limiting the concept of knowledge to the field of empirical experience. Not all who hesitate between atheism and theism suscribe to this specific stance. Otoh you can be an agnostic believer (by drawing a precise line between faith and knowledge), or an agnostic atheist (recognising that your personal disbelief is not knowledge either).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:Is this another way for you to force people to come down off of what you see as a fence, and stand on your side?

Are you widening your scope from bashing believers to bashing the inconclusives?

Are you narrowing the definition of dictionary-based words to suit your own ends?

Are you the new Messiah?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Nic,

If it's in my dictionary it exists.

Agnostic: noun a person who believes that nothing can be known concerning the existence of God.

Right, there we have it! Next thread please.................................

Ian

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Agnostic: noun a person who believes that nothing can be known concerning the existence of God.

Although I think the "concerning the existence of God" part limits the scope of agnosticism excessively, I'd like to highlight the central part. "Who believe that nothing can be known" is very different from "who doesn't know".

Admitting your ignorance doesn't make you an agnostic.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Admitting your ignorance doesn't make you an agnostic.

Exactly! Thank you Nark.

(Sticks tongue out, waggles thumbs in his ears and pulls faces at Ross and Ian) "Nah na na Nah na"

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Is this another way for you to force people to come down off of what you see as a fence, and stand on your side?

Are you widening your scope from bashing believers to bashing the inconclusives?

Are you narrowing the definition of dictionary-based words to suit your own ends?

Although I highly just love reading narcs post...so don't shoot me...

I had to actually just out and out giggle at LT this AM. I am feeling a debate 101 class coming on. Love the pshychology take on your reasoning Ross. I am serious although I did giggle when I read this. I personally have a hard time believing. This does not make me and Athiest and I hesitate to call myself a believer because I know I have no faith by which to believe. I do however have a strong respect for those who do believe as long as they remain human while doing so. Often followers of a belief forget to follow for starters the path of humanity and heart. Then the extreme is taken on the teachings of a denomination. I have seen this over and over. The same with people who don't believe mocking those that do. Can't we all just hug people? Morning all!

• Dansk
    Dansk

Well I'd say that's just about as clear as mud!

Grief, 'agnostic' used to simply mean one who doesn't know if God exists or not because there's no proof either way. Now the word almost has a dictionary to itself!!

Ian

• moshe
    moshe

agnostics vs atheists

I compare that to a person who says, " I'm not antisemitic, I just haven't met a Jew I like yet".

I'm not an atheist, I just haven't met a God I ilke yet.

I feel that agonstics could be atheists who have just not come out of the closet yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit