Feeling Patriotic for the 1st time

by lisaBObeesa 12 Replies latest jw friends

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Amazing,

I was born in 1969, so I guess that explains some things. Patriotism was something I heard my grandfather talk about, or I read about, not something I felt. . My parents became JWs as the Vietnam War was taking their friends and dividing the country. I grew into a person who could tick off 110 things wrong with America in 10 seconds. The military actions I saw America get involved with were hard to understand, and easy to criticize. Often I was against them, or if I wasn’t, it was because I was too confused about what was going on to form a real opinion. To me, WWI and WWII were black and white photos of another world.

But now I understand my Grandpa a little better.

--LisaBObeesa

• Kat_
    Kat_

Hiya Lisa!

I can understand what you are saying and relate very well. I have never been overly patriotic because I am only first gen. American and was not brought up in an 'American' atmosphere. But over the years I have discovered who I am and it took me a while, but I finally realized that I was an American, plain and simple. It doesn't matter where my parents are from or what language I learned first--I am American. While I am not overly proud or patriotic, I do fly my flag with sincerity these days. There's a warm feeling of unity that comes with it. I like it.

Kat

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

safe4kids:

I like to think of myself as a citizen of the world and all humans as my fellow citizens. ... since Sept 11, I have felt a love for my country that I don't recall being aware of before.

Me too. I know that our country has run roughshod over smaller nations, has sponsored and supported dictators, has trained the men who torture political prisoners in South America, ad nauseam: and that these things must stop. But since Black Tuesday, I realize, as I never have before, that America is my home, my country; that AMERICA IS MINE.

GentlyFeral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit