What are your reasons for posting here?

by sonnyboy 37 Replies latest jw friends

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Although I don't contribute too much I come here daily just to see whats new, kind of like skimming the newspaper. I sympathize, admire, commiserate and cheer with everyones lives. We've gone through too much and it's just something that's become part of my life. There are days or even weeks (occasionally) where I might not check in. I figure this is the best place to find out how close we're getting to watching the Watch Tower lose its control.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I first came here two years ago for many reasons.

I needed more validation that I was indeed doing the right thing by leaving the organization. I found that.

I needed to know where I should go from here. I found that.

I wanted help recovering from the trauma of emerging from a high control group. I found that.

I wanted to fill the void that the so called brotherhood filled when I was in. I found that and more.

I am here today because I want to help others as I have been helped. I don't know where I would be without all of you here on JWN. Thank you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I found this site accidentally. One night I was bored so I decided to see how Wikipedia describes the Witnesses. There was a link to another site which, in turn, had a link to here. I had been out for decades but the Witnesses were so painful in my life. As a born-in, I was severely abused. Things that happen in childhood affect you more than events in later life. I was not at all interested in the WT doctrine topics. What drew my attention was that many members posted content that I always heard growing up that was akin to gossip about Bethel, Franz, Knorr, Moyle, Rutherford, Covington--that group. No one in my real life cares that these people existed. Friends are empathetic but they cannot begin to understand.

I expected never to post. Perhaps I would read a few threads. This place is addictive. I've met other born-ins who left decades ago who are addicted, too. People here know what happened. They know the utter agony of meetings. Being told you are absolutely no good b/c you like music and school. They know what not saluting the flag, reciting school prayers, or what watching your classmates celebrate holidays feel likes.

Many people here are still active or left only recently. Being a Witness is not the same as being a member of most other religions. The Witnesses are more cult than religion. This is a WT forum. I visit other sites and blogs that are not Witness related.

My goal is to post less frequently. I fear being here for the forseeable future. It does become somewhat repetitive. My purpose in being here is not so much to discover new information as interaction with others who were also traumatized. In real life, self selection has happened. This site exposes me to people who do not remotely process info the same way I do. This site is not always pleasant for me. On the other hand, I 've learned so much on a whole host of subjects. I do respect the overwhelming majority of members.

Such a broad range of members come here. There must be an underlying need. People are told never to discuss politics or religion with others. What do we do here? It is remarkable that this forum is still in existence. As far as I know, police have never been involved. B/c of the Witnesses, religion triggers me easily. Wars are fought. People burned at the stake. It brings out something primitive in us.

As an abstract notion, I do prefer real life. Real life does not send me former Witnesses, though. I have not been here too long. One thing I do notice in private conversations is how we laugh so hard at our experiences which are not the least bit funny. We laugh rather than cry forever. Not that I would wish being born-in on another soul but now I know my experience was not unique. Nor was I defective to not love them.

• bigmac
    bigmac

interesting how many UK posters on this thread 6 years back--i wonder how many are still visiting the site?

• kozmo
    kozmo

I truly appreciated terry's comments and perspective. And I agree with him. One of the most outstanding common bonds that we have is the we Think Outside of the BOX! While we were JW's, we were inside of a BOX, and all that we were able to see was what was INSIDE of that BOX! Now that we are no longer a part of it, we can see INSIDE of it and are no longer Myopic. Life is easier to deal with, yet, our past hinders us mentally until we can overcome what we missed while inside of that BOX! It's a long road for many of us, yet, we our all opptimistic bout our futures. We have so much to enjoy now, while for sme of us with family still in, it will be more difficult, until the time that we can approach those members to have them come to the same appreciation about the Truth that we have.

KOz

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

boredom

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

This is the only enviroment I've ever found with others who I can truly relate to on a fundamental level (and vice versa).

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

My reason for participating here is for the purpose of sharing information in areas where I have training or experience. The idea is to help folks.

This work does not usually take much time, and I enjoy it.

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit