Questioning

by FreeFallin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Hello,

I am new to this, actually my hands are shaking as I write this. I have been "lurking" for several months now, and am filled with doubt and fear. I was baptized 20 years ago, but have never been in the center of things. I haven't attended a meeting for almost 5 years and missed the last 2 memorials. The brothers call on me occasionally. What really shocked me was the revelation that the Society was listed as a part, altho a very small part, of the UN. As I said I haven't been to a meeting for quite a while. Was there a publication released explaining how this happened and why it is acceptable? I can't ask anyone at the hall about this without giving myself away. If any one has any information on this I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

FreeFallin, welcome to the board. I have been "out" for about 16 years now, and I have very little access to any WT resources.

However, I would very much doubt that the WTBTS has ever mentioned their involvement with the UN to any R&F.

This same type of "coverup" goes on with respect to everything the Society does as part of its corporate arm. They criticize other religions for doing the exact things that they themselves are doing.

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Dear RedHorseWoman,

Thank you for your reply.

• Tina
    Tina

welcome freefallin,
    A great place to find info is the Watchtower Observer. Lots of comprehensive info re:WTS.regards,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• puppylove
    puppylove

Welcome! My whole body started shaking when I realized the "truth" about the GB.

Isn't disturbing when you realize that you cannot trust the WTBTS on anything?

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Welcome, and don't be scared of us - most of us don't bite

If you've been lurking here awhile you've already learned soem disturbing things I'm sure. If you want more info on the WTBTS being a U.N. NGO, go to this page ...

http://www.aimoo.com/forum//postview.cfm?id=311102&CategoryID=2967&ThreadID=75656&tolast=yesH2OPowered

It's a lot to read, but it sure is an eye-opener.

As far as the WTBTS saying anything to the normal JW that has not happened. They certainly have not 'announced' this in any WT, KMs, etc. However, there does appear to be an overall weaking in their outright condemnation of the U.N. there have been some blurbs in the Awake that have a somewhat favorable tone to them. I think this is to appease the U.N. NGO requirements, so they have printed material to show to the U.N. to prove they meet their end of the NGO bargain.

Who knows where this will lead, but it sure proves the two-faced hypocracy of the org, out of one mouth condeming 'false' religion for 'sleeping' with the worlds governments, all the while they're doing the EXACT same thing - using the goverments to their own advantage. All to 'further kingdom work' you know ...

• mikepence
    mikepence

There are many support groups for xjw's, online and off, that you may want to make use of.

One such is an ex-JW men's group on Yahoo groups (formerly egroups). See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xjwmen

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Freefallin,

I am guessing that you saw MacHislopp's thread about this issue?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?site=3&id=10732&page=1

The July 22, 2001 issue of Awake! was devoted to the issue of volunteerism. I was quite surprised to see a large text box advertising the UN's designation of 2001 as the "International Year of Volunteers." I don't have the magazine handy, but if I'm remembering correctly, it even included a picture of the UN insignia. Here is the text:

International Year of Volunteers

On November 20, 1997, the General Assembly of the United Nations proclaimed the year 2001 to be the “International Year of Volunteers,” (IYV 2001). According to the UN, there are four objectives to be achieved during the year.

Increased recognition Governments are encouraged to recognize the importance of volunteers by studying and recording their achievements and bestowing awards on outstanding volunteer activities.

Increased facilitation Countries are urged to encourage volunteerism by, for example, accepting volunteer service as an alternative to military service or providing certain tax exemptions.

Networking The media are invited to assist more in publicizing success stories of volunteer work. As a result, such projects could be replicated, “avoiding the need for each local community to reinvent the wheel.”

Promotion Volunteer organizations are encouraged to arrange exhibitions to inform the public about the benefits that society is reaping from volunteer work.

The UN hopes that IYV 2001 will result in more requests for the services of volunteers, in more offers from people to serve as volunteers, and in more funding and facilities for volunteer organizations to tackle society’s growing needs. A total of 123 governments have joined in sponsoring the objectives of this UN resolution.

I saw no mention in any of these articles of the scarlet-colored wild beast of Revelation.

On their media site, explaining their beliefs about the role of Jehovah's Witnesses in society, they use a scripture evocative of the "Let Us Beat Swords into Plowshares" sculpture in the United Nations garden:

Following the examples set by Jesus and first-century Christians, Jehovah's Witnesses do not share in the politics or wars of any nation. Their stand of Christian neutrality is well documented in history. They firmly believe that they must "beat their swords into plowshares" and not "learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4) At the same time, Jehovah's Witnesses recognize the authority of nations to raise armies and defend themselves, and they do not interfere with what others choose to do.—John 18:36.

from http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/society.htm

I cannot think of a way for them to justify their involvement with the UN. Even if they view the UN as politically neutral among various member countries, they have considered the UN in direct opposition to God's righteous theocratic government.

It would be interesting for a JW to test their stance by volunteering for UNESCO or UNICEF.

http://www.unv.org/volunteers/index.htm

Ginny

• puppylove
    puppylove

Welcome! My whole body started shaking when I realized the "truth" about the GB.

Isn't disturbing when you realize that you cannot trust the WTBTS on anything?

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Thank you all for your responses. I've delved a bit into the H20 site. Most go to work now, but will do more research later. Again, many thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit