JW Urban legends

by William Penwell 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I was reading this on the Urban Legends web site. I recall a post and some discussion earlier on this site about the John Denver rumor. The rumor of him at one of his concerts asking all JW's to leave. I know a number of JW's to this day that still repeat this rumor as gospel truth. Sounds like another JW story that is full of crap.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/ordered.asp

Will

• blondie
    blondie

I knew JWs that lived in the same area that John Denver lived and some who worked from him...this is definitely an urban legend. Can you imagine a story like this not making the newspaper?

Blondie

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

That's so funny. I too remember hearing this story years ago. It's kind of sad but when Denver died, someone told me that it was because of this incident. I told them that I never believed it happened, but you know how Urban Legends are.

I heard a similiar story about Earth, Wind & Fire. I always thought that one was made up as well.

• sosad
    sosad

i remember the one about the blue smurf doll that walked up the aisle or maybe it was out the door of a KH - smurfs were of course demonized - all that blue, and the wierd little hats....

• Funchback
    Funchback

The John Denver urban legend reached its way to Philadelphia many years ago, and it was said that he hated the JW's (although I never heard of the concert UL).

Also, the Earth, Wind, and Fire UL was that they needed all JW's to leave the concert because it prohibited their ability to "float on stage" and do magic tricks.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

Yeah, I heard that John Denver one. My dad hated him for it.

• aniron
    aniron

When hearing things said like the John Denver thing. I would ask the JW brother/sister who was telling me what the proof was that it had occurred. I usually got the reply "Because Brother X who was either an Elder/CO/DO had said it. So it must be true." or "It was mentioned at an assembly/convention." (which it never was). What they meant it was gossip at the convention.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I heard the one about John Denver and mentally filed it next to the report that Glen Campbell was baptized at the 1973 International District Convention in Vancouver BC.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I heard this story years ago from people who knew people who were actually there. Yeah, I didn't believe it either, but

SMURFS are really evil, possibly demonized. (I found it hard to believe Prince was a JW, but it happened.)

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I remember hearing that John Denver hated JWs. I didn't know why, but I believed it nonetheless. Myth busted.

Also, the Earth, Wind, and Fire UL was that they needed all JW's to leave the concert because it prohibited their ability to "float on stage" and do magic tricks.

Yeah right! It was special effects!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit