What's it like?

by Jerohobobonadad 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

Hello all.

I have always wondered what feelings people have in the hours/minutes prior to getting baptised, the seconds immediately afterwards and then the first few hours thereafter?

I've never done it, but it seems like it would be a real head f-!

Anyone willing to share their experiences?

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Anyone willing to share their experiences?

Not me!

Ian

• bubble
    bubble

I felt numb the whole way through, before, during and after.

This is because I was doing it only to keep my family happy.

• Woofer
    Woofer

I thought "Now my mom and dad will get off my back!"

• restrangled
    restrangled
    I felt numb the whole way through, before, during and after.

This is because I was doing it only to keep my family happy

Ditto!!!!!!!

r.

• becca1
    becca1

It happend 37 years ago when I was 10 years old.

First of all, my dedication was made while jumping up and down on my parents bed while watchig Neil Armstrong land on the moon (July 20, 1969). I had just turned 10 and was in every sense of the word a "child".

I answered the questions from the "Lamp" book correctly as I was a precocious little girl and had been inmerssed in WT life since birth. My parents did not have a family study with me but I had been on many Bible studies with my mom.

I don't remember a thing said in the baptism talk, though I do remember the song. It was the one about "Jehovah Our Rock". This was in the old song book.

We did not have our own baptism pools back then, so the baptism took place at the home of some witness who had a pool. I wore a pink, one piece swimsuit with a daisy applique on the front.

My dad was to busy with elder, assembly duties to come view the baptism. I was just doing what was expected of me so it was no big deal to my parents.

For dinner we went to Walgreens (they used to have a restaurant). I had a t-bone steak, french fries and a salad with french dressing.

This may sound silly and made up but I assure you that every single word is true.

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

Thanks Becca.

I brought this up because I remember seeing some people crying, some (like a friend of mine) went completely hyper active and went around shaking everyone's hand, one guy I know went outside for a cigarette during the lunch break, others don't seem to be affected much.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I was baptised in March 1983, and I thought it was a great day then, what I really wanted to do. Nowadays, I prefer not to talk about it much, it's a day I'd rather forget. It led to me wasting half of my life in a cult.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

My wife keeps a copy of my baptism on video tape inside a drawer I have to go in every morning.....label side up. I think I"m going to move it somewhere (like to the trash) and see if she notices.

• greendawn
    greendawn

To the dubs the first baptism one had in a christian church is null, yet they are not even a true christian church since they refuse to let you be part of the New Covenent and receive the Holy Spirit upon baptism. That is a very strange sort of baptism, what's the point of it if one will not experience the mystery of it? Getting baptised in the death of Jesus but not receiving the Holy Spirit of adoption?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit