Did anyone else wonder why?

by Jerohobobonadad 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

I always thought that if you want to do 6 or 60 hours a month in field service, why make a big fanfare about it and become a pioneer or whatever? I always thought if you want to go out loads, then go out loads; why do you need a group of "elders" to approve of it and make an announcement? I've read about a few on this board who got turned down for pioneering. I know a few personally who were refused because of their "standing" but did the hours anyway. Do poineers do it for the status or because they really want to go out? I'm sure most really want to "spread the word", so fair play, but is it really necessary to be a "pioneer"? Why can't you just do the hours and get on with it, rather than have some old blokes councelling you everytime you don't get the hours in?

Any expioneers have any views? I've never pioneered by the way.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It used to be more meaningful when they used to charge for the literature, because pioneers got special rates.

Slim

• skyking
    skyking

I use to so I would look like I was doing as I preached to the congregation. My wife use to all the time before Kids.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Jerohobobonadad, and welcome to the forum.

I pioneered for 6 years, between 1984 and 1990. I was baptised in 1983, and made it a goal to pioneer as soon as I could. I was encouraged to do this by the person I studied with, herself a pioneer, and the elders in the congregation.

I didn't do it for self - glory, and believe me, there was nothing glorious about it. It was very hard work from start to finish, often with little to show in the way of results ministry - wise, and some very hard times financially. I came off the list for health reasons, and I was upset to have to do so at the time, but later somewhat relieved.

I think some do it for status, or to please their parents. I have suspected that of quite a few teenage jws who have left school and pioneered immediately, but more often than not, they haven't lasted long, and some have left the wts altogether within a couple of years of pioneering. Pioneers aren't special people, they are just built up to seem that way by the wts, a good example to follow, but often used by elders and co's to shame those who they feel have circumstances that could make room for pioneering, but don't do it. I have seen this happen a few times as well.

As to why people pioneer, and don't just put the hours in without recognition, I think for that to happen the wts would have to cease the pioneer service altogether, because there will always be those parents who try to push their children into pioneering, and their will always be those who enjoy the recognition they receive for signing up.

Linda

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

To "Regular Pioneer" used to be more challanging. You had to put in 100 hours a month. This was at great personal sacrifice for most. To give more incentive, there is a Pioneer Service school available to those who are "appointed" to Regular Pioneer and do so for one complete service year, September through the following August. This was quite an incentive. Two weeks surrounded by others making the same sacrifice of time, etc. was really a nice perk.You got your own textbook and intensive training in how to be an "Uber" witnoid.

Of course there was a discount on all the literature when it was charged for. Free food at the district convention was provided for the Pioneers too. The Pioneers always received the first copies of the newest releases. So, the rationale about pioneering was the support and the various breaks given to "defray" the costs of doing so. Now its no big deal in those respects. Seventy hours a month? Big whoop.

I suggest you get a real job instead and plan on retiring instead of schlepping magazines all over town that people will throw away or use in thier birdcage.

W.Once

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

I brought this up because someone I knew once applied to pioneer, got accepted and had the announcement, then commited a "wrong doing". He was told he could not pioneer because of the "wrong doing" but they then did not announce that he was no longer a pioneer. He did the hours anyway and no one was the wiser. It doesn't make sense to me to become a pioneer and have all of the bagage that goes with it. If someone wants to do 200 hours a month, why not just do it? Why should you need approval to be "God's minister"? Isn't it a right of a baptised witness to preach God's Word (looking at it from a JW perspective?).

• Jerohobobonadad
    Jerohobobonadad

In responce to was an elder once-

You won't catch me out in service! lol

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It is a right, but it's also a requirement. Anyone who doesn't go out in the preaching work is classed as inactive, and likely to incur the wrath of the elders sooner rather than later.

The society talk about "whole - souled " devotion - doing all you can in jehovahs service. whether you are doing 2 hours a month or 200, if it's the best you can do, then that's fine. If, on the other hand, the elders suspect that you are doing less than your circumstances permit, in their opinion, they will still be on your back. I had this for quite some time after I had quit pioneering, and I know quite a few others who had the same treatment.

I enjoyed pioneering to a degree, but there were times that I wished I hadn't done it, and just put the hours in without actually signing up. I am sure I would have been happier in the years immediately after I quit than I was, with all the pressure from the elders that I had to put up with to sign up again.

Now I'm no longer a jw, I look back on those few years in the 1990's as probably the most miserable of my life. I am glad they are in the past, and not in the future. I think if I was still a jw, I would never encourage anyone to pioneer, I'd be more likely to advise against it.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I was 'approved' to pioneer by the Service Committee. Three weeks later I told them I changed my mind. They were really upset but for some strange reason never announced that I was 'no longer a pioneer.'

• Satanus
    Satanus

The few times that i pioneered, it was because i wanted to do what was right, and figured it would make me happy. The prestige never really was part of it for me.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit