"i enjoyed your talk Brother"

by fleaman uk 27 Replies latest jw friends

• mama1119
    mama1119

I used to daydream the whole time. I rarely got anything out of it. And if I did, it din;t last long. My parents use to make us tell CO and travelong speakers we enjoyed their talks. I tried to get up there and tell them as fast as I could and get away so my Mom would stop harrassing me about it.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

God the talks that I have heard over the years have been nothing but boring and yes when I was a true beleiver I would thank the speaker if I wound up meeting him durring the meeting for such a good talk, but would never tell him specically what I liked about it, that would just be too much lying for my stomach to handle.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a meeting and the talk was total garbage and left me in snuzz city.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I recall some elders made their talks interesting while some others made theirs extremely boring. It depended on the elder but overall it was mind dulling listenng to them.

Above all I hated it when they said: now brothers and sisters let's turn to verse such and such, as if the Bible validated all their beliefs. They have twisted so many of those verses to fit their opinions.

• daystar
    daystar

I don't know. I retained it well at the time. But you're right about the insincerity of the praise, much of the time.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It's nice that they're supportive, but you'd think they could spice up their lingo a bit. Wouldn't it be nice to hear, just once, someone say, "Brother, you really made that talk your bitch!"

• Moomin
    Moomin

lol

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

We would have some good talks, especially on a thursday evening. By good I mean enjoyable, with good humour, not necessarily spiritual, if the right brothers were giving the talks. Could be very boring if it was the wrong ones, especially the last item, cause you knew they would go overtime.

I enjoyed giving talks, I gave a few Public Talks and actually I liked the compliments. As for whether they were sincere, I would say on the whole yes. Would they remember the talk, I don't think that mattered, it was whether they found the experience as a whole enjoyable. Like watching a tv program, I can laugh out loud at some programs such as "Have I got News For You" but when it comes to telling someone the funny parts I really struggle to remember.

Did anyone actually pay close attention and really enjoy the "food"from the platform?

I farted that "food" into the nostrils of those sitting behind me.

• heathen
    heathen

The talks for the most part I didn't mind even tho you really don't see much enthusiasm from the stage but there were times it's like they would embellish because of the latest rumor or something that I thought was pretty cheezee .I think the added hour of the WT "study" was the most boring part . Of course they shared the hall so there was no time to let people discuss the talk after the talk or get a drink and stretch . There certainly aren't any sons of thunder in the group like most of the pentecostal crowd which enjoy a good toungue lashing .LOL

• girasole
    girasole

I payed attention at meetings for the same reason that I did anything else as a witness - fear and acceptance. I wanted to have something to contribute when later I was with others talking about a particular talk or convention, etc.

I remember the very last talk that I ever gave at the TMS meeting - at this point I had already psychologically separated from the WT but had not "come out" publically. Many people came up to me and commended me for it afterwards and later someone close to me said that they were "worried about my spirituality" until that night but that after my talk they knew that god's holy spirit was with me. So of course, the reason that I had done so well did not have anything to do with god's holy spirit! Rather, I had been mentally removed from the organization for a while and I had done a lot of critical thinking and research about the indoctrination process. Basically, I knew exactly what they wanted and I gave it to them.

girasole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit