Why can’t J-Dubs provide more help to their sick?

by JimWood 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

JWs will give some financial assistance for disasters when encouraged to do so. I find them very giving in that aspect. They will give limited help to someone in their congregation, also. But posters are right. Organizational giving (contribution boxes and preaching) is the priority. It is sad that a visiting Circuit Overseer whose expenses are cared for (until they get rid of him) will receive envelopes and hand-outs, but a struggling publisher will receive encouragement only.

To be fair, we were all convinced that giving the organizational way is the best way. I was a Hurricane Hugo victim in 1989, and the JWs gave cars, food, clothing, etc. This was wonderful. Since then, the organization says to just give money to the Worldwide Work so they can distribute what everyone needs after a disaster. While there is some benefit to that, it is mainly a way to control the money. Let people give what the want to from the heart. We were also taught that a financially poor person could get sustenance and covering from government aid, and should learn to "keep their eye simple," while a travelling overseer only gets what we give him.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

It very much depends on the congregation I think. I've seen congs that really help out when someone is sick (cancer etc) and provide meals, transportation, hospital visits etc. And I've seen congs where nobody seems to care.

When my father was seriously ill in the hospital my mother had to beg for help. She basically shamed the elders for their lack of help by turning to her old cong for help (had moved several years before). A couple of elders came to her and told her she should not have went outside of the cong for help, but my mom let them know how disappointed she was in the cong for lack of help. Because of this they did organize some meals (just on meeting nights) and some hospital visits for my father (he was so lonely!!). She was forced to move again and the new cong she went to was really good and she had quite a bit of support.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit