Not Seating at the Same Place in All Meetings.

by Tempest in a Teacup 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    One solution. If you don't go at all, you cannot sit in the same seats twice at the boasting sessions.
  • My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

@DATA-DOG

Basically as a JW, you are NEVER doing it right.

Now that is the understatement of the century!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of course we were never "doing enough".

If they were ever to let on that we were "doing enough", just how inclined would any of us actually have been to do more?

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers
    I like where I sit...it is close to the door for an easy, unobstructed escape, it is a metaphor for my fade....
  • DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Control Control Control etc etc etc

He that is faithful in what is least is faithful in much!!!!!!

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

When I was a kid there was an older couple in my KH who always sat in the same seats. Middle front row, the two seats furthest to the right. You didn't dare sit there if you knew what's good for you.

The husband was an elder and had a sweet disposition. I remember him being a gentle giant of sorts, but he may have seemed bigger to me than he actually was because I was a child. The wife, on the other hand, was a mean, spiteful, bitter creature. She still wore 1950s style hair and dress. Children were terrified of her. She had zero patience for kids who didn't behave like mini-adults. They eventually moved about 45 minutes away and changed congregations. A few years later her husband was no longer an elder. I never found out why.

Years later I found out that these folks had gotten burned during the 1975 fiasco. They'd sold off their belongings and moved to a foreign country to pioneer before the end came. They put off having children for the same reason. After the dust settled, they moved back to the states disillusioned and became inactive for a little while. By 1980 or so they were back in the witnessing game and helped found the congregation that I belonged to.

About 10 years ago my mom ran into the wife at the doctor's office and it turned out she'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Even though I had nothing but terrible memories of her, my heart went out to her. Now that I'm in my mid 30s I realize that her disposition was likely affected by the disappointment and disillusionment she was likely suppressing. People who can't have children (or choose not to have children) often develop a hatred of children as a defense mechanism. It couldn't have been a mistake to forgo having a family if children are awful, could it?

At the end of the day, she was duped like I was, but at least I got out in my early 20s. Something tells me she secretly wished she'd never gone back after 1975.

• carla
    carla

Thank you for the links darksilver but I stand my comment, people do not rent pew space in this century as far as I can tell.

Odd that jw's would even discuss the issue which only brings up the fact that they weren't even around when this was going on (jw's did not begin until late 1800's). Naturally no jw would check it out.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I couldn't figure put what difference it made. you get up and walk to the same people you always talk to anyway., while saying a short hello how are you on the way out the isle.

[gee there I just talked to someone 'new']

im of the opposite mindset,

IF you tend to sit in the same area all the time, wouldn't it make it easier to know if someone is missing?

wouldn't the wt conductor find it easier to know where his favorite commenters are?

wouldn't it make it easier for the mic carrier to find you?

wouldn't your kids find it easier to sit if they were familiar with the kids and adults around them? especially infants, they don't like 'strangers'.

yea, cant do nothin right, cant even sit right! lol.

But what ALWAYS made me ponder, is WHY the elderly sat in the back row, when they never or rarely got up, and don't like noisy kids, cant see as well or hear as well!

I mean shouldn't those who want quiet and to hear good sit in the front? duh,

and the noisy kids in the back?

some halls tried to rope off the back rows for late comers and those with children.

it never worked, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit