I miss the 'good old days'!

by Outaservice 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Once I gave up the meetings, I found that I'd missed all the episodes of Frazier that were on origionally! I have had a blast, all the reruns are first runs for me....

Friends as well.

I hated all the time that was required to stay brain farted. Now I let my brain fart when I want it too.

W.Once

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

All that was "Choosing the Best Way of Life" - so we were told in a book the WTS put out in the late 1970s, anyway!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Heh, do you really miss them?

I. Behavior Control

1. Regulation of individual's physical reality

a. Where, how and with whom the member lives and associates with
    b. What clothes, colors, hairstyles the person wears
    c. What food the person eats, drinks, adopts, and rejects
    d. How much sleep the person is able to have
    e. Financial dependence
    f. Little or no time spent on leisure, entertainment, vacations

2. Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals

3. Need to ask permission for major decisions

4. Need to report thoughts, feelings and activities to superiors

5. Rewards and punishments (behavior modification techniques- positive and negative).

6. Individualism discouraged; group think prevails

7. Rigid rules and regulations

8. Need for obedience and dependency

Good god, Dub-ism hits all points!!

• clarity
    clarity

Wow ... makes me feel sick just remembering those awful days,

adding into the mix was caring for elderly parents as well!

• talesin
    talesin

(((clarity)))

My parents are both quite sick, but I don't have the option of caring for them because of the religion.

It must be hard, so hard,,, the sorrow, as well as the day-to-day chores, would make you weary. Thinking of you.

t

• sd-7
    sd-7

candidlynuts--Wow. That is a LOT of stuff. I think my head would explode if the Mrs. was actually doing all that! I do all my own laundry and sometimes help with the kids' laundry or other laundry stuff, can't afford dry cleaning most of the time, do most of the shopping (and all of the driving), am sole breadwinner, do the dishes most nights, and...drive the family to the meetings. Even cutting out the JW stuff I feel like I'm constantly behind.

I guess I really just didn't care that much about the routine. I'd read the Bible most often, sometimes just half way skim the WT articles, sometimes I'd 'study' them or 'study' for the Book Study, and do 6-10 hours in field service in a good month. I think because the 'studying' part was so simple, intelligence made it easy for me. That, and actually reading the Bible and wondering why so few people could find relevant scriptures in the ministry...

But enduring the extremes of weather and uncomfortable dress shoes out in the ministry, plus the various phobias (getting paired with the older brother who, while a nice guy, takes a leak on the side of a building during service, or the other bro, who while also a nice guy, passes gas in service, or worse yet, that really cute sister that I'm utterly afraid of talking to, or maybe that overzealous pioneer or elder who is always trying to get into my business)--there's nothing at all I miss about the 'good old days'. That routine was havoc on catching a movie or playing video games.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit