Is it time for apostasy to get organised?

by nicolaou 19 Replies latest forum suggestions

• Scully
    Scully

I like the idea of getting the WTS to *think* that we're more organized than we actually are. They are so totally paranoid about an equal but opposite Evil Slave Class organization, that it would cause them to be distracted by that assumption and ignore smaller, yet equally effective attacks from various directions.

I do think it is important for us to start thinking about setting up more "official" services and contact information in order to help defray the costs of things like the distribution of flyers and mailings and take advantage of some of the practical aspects that being a charitable status organization might provide.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Yes, it is time to organize such a charity - worldwide. Perhaps it would be easier to fund it as "Cult Recovery" or "Recovery From High-Control Groups," to minimize the trouble of lawsuits and such.

People seeking such charity would presumably be self-reporting (or would be atttempting to do interventions on loved ones), and might have the problem of proving/disproving membership (or proving the cult-status), in order to receive public funding, though, I'm afraid. I think it could be complicated to do such a thing, but very helpful to many - xjws or not.

Perhaps easier to fund such an endeavor privately?

You could apply for government grants or something and contact some counselors who specialize in exit and recovery counselling. I would try to connect with as many available resources as possible, including the local mental health depts.

I would donate generously to such a cause if I could somehow verify that the money was indeed being put to such use; and had a demonstrated success rate for the recipients, (meaning low recidvism). Good luck and best wishes.

• Sasha
    Sasha

sorry, but I see no pride in calling yourselves "Apostates". Isn't there a kinder word for us who have left the WS? In laymens terms, I mean...

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Organizing the Former Jehovah's Witness Movement

Personally, this is an exceptional idea not only for the United Kingdom but for
    the United States as well. I would like to be apart of this movement in part-
    icular anything that would establish a media or Hollywood presence regarding
    this issue.

Thousands of Individuals on this board

Consider the thousands of individuals on this board who could make a contribution
    regarding this issue. With just a little motivation, and the right touch this move-
    ment can get off the ground.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

There is a recovery charity called witnessaidUK or WAUK. Set up by a man from Edinburgh Scotland.

The WTBTS has hounded him mercilessly, threatening his ISP with legal action unless he is removed. As a result the website has to move.

The UK number is 01922 491 971

USA 1-800-WHY-1914

Australia 61-7 3869 4772

Ireland 01232 587 254

The link (which may have moved) www.uq.net.au/~zzmstefa/JWWITNESSUK.htm

HB

• greendawn
    greendawn

It would be great but what sort of form could this take what sort of different functions or tasks, what sort of structure could develop?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

How about a private organization that is unhindered by non-profit laws that can operate openly doing research and information dissemination directly counter to the WTS? This is how Bible Research and Commentary started over twenty years ago - I was there at its inception, but wanted a more aggressive approach to actually bringing down the WTS, rather than support services.

I think a working mission statement would be a good start. I personally am not so much interested in a support group for ex-dubs (JWD serves quite well in that capacity) - but in a strategic plan to harness power directed against the WTS for the purpose of bringing it DOWN - hum baby!

• Genesis
    Genesis

I am with Bizzybee. We could organize a Counter-Attack organization to tear down the borg. After the Borg is destroyed, then we could transform the organisation into a Cult Recovery Charity.

Edited to add : Wouldnt you want to read oneday into an history book that in 2006 the Watchtower cult and JWs were destroyed due to a massive worlwide campaign to expose them for what they are?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I think the best thing we can get going is networked support system going.
    - Ex-JWs in certain areas could get togeather and create their own local support group (or act as individuals).
    - Through an internet website database, confused JWs would be able to connect with their own local group.
    - Each group could be well equipped with a full library worth of JW literature (so easy to get these days because of digital technology!)
    - Each member would agree to act in accordance with a code of love and descency, never degrading or abusing the weak and confused JWs.
    - The localized groups could even get togeather in bigger groups.

In the end, this kind of a system would actually be very easy to build up as long as people are willing to help out. Local groups can set their own goals and charter. Basically everybody would just be connected by 'signing up' to help.

If anybody is interested in getting something like this going, let me know. I would be more than willing to help. I have a number of skills in web design and database. I think this could be something great.

But people have to be willing to help!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

This is a good idea, Nic. Both my bf and me would be interested in making some sort of contribution to it, kwwp us posted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit