Anyone else ever gone through feelings such as these?

by WildHorses 18 Replies latest jw friends

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Last Sunday was the first time I went through this but it has since happened a few more times. When I woke up last Sunday morning, I had this feeling that I was going to die. I don't know why I felt this way but I couldn't shake the feeling of dread. Then, a few minutes later I started to sweat really bad. Once that stopped, I said to myself, "If I'm going to die, I'm going to do it in my sleep" (Yes, I'm a chicken) so I went back to sleep. When I woke up again the feelings had passed. Now, everytime something comes on TV that involves death (such as the JonBenet case) or even sad for that matter. I find I can't watch it or else these feelings that I am going to die come back. My mother and a couple of other people I've spoken to about it seem to think I am having panic attacks. Have any of you guys gone through this or have any of you taken psychology classes who can shed some light on this for me? I hate having these feelings. They scare me.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Believe it or not I think of death quite often. I had a dream a few nights ago. Some one was coming at me with a knife and I was looking at them straight in the eye, as they were putting the knife at my neck I was thinking this is my last moments alive. Then I woke up.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

With me, I hardly ever thought about death. But that day and a few times since I was sure I was dying right at that moment.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi wildhorses,

Yes, your mom is right. You had a panic attack. I have them also. Your body is flooded with adrenaline and you get a feeling of dread or fright. It could be hormonal so you should ask your dr. I had one a few weeks ago in Walmart and sweat so bad, the back of my shirt was soaked! I was so embarrased.

I've been under a lot of stress lately with selling my home and buying a new one, also moving my sister up here and my cat dying and I think that is triggering it. Also my Fibromyalgia has been bad.

I have had these episodes for years due to post traumatic stress. I was the victim of severe child abuse. My sister gets them also. It sounds strange but I have to have someone hug me and tell me I am o.k. when I have them. Because I often feel like I am transported back to my childhood. I have to remind myself that my abuser (my father) is dead and cannot hurt me anymore.

You can get panic attacks due to hormones, if there is another reason, you will want to find out. Sorry to hear that happened to you, I know it is dreadful. Lilly

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I often wonder what my last day will be like. Will I be happy, sad, too sick to care, will it happen fast or slow? Probably not what you are going for here, but I do think about it probably more than I should. I think it might have something to do with being taught that I would never die, and now I know better.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Lil, what if anything do you take for it? When I read up on panic attacks there was a medication linked to the site that doesn't need a perscription called Seredyn. I'm thinking of trying it. It claims to be clinically proven.

As for now, my mother said I should try St Johns wart. I bought some the other day and so far I haven't had these feelings today at least. I started taking it three days ago. I will see a Dr about it though as soon as I can. I just hope I can be helped because I don't like what I read about it. I don't want to become house bound like some people have.

• chuckie77
    chuckie77

Hey wildhorses,

If it was a panic attack they are, as lil says, really awful things. They're normally accompanied by sweating, hyperventilation (rapid breathing), this can in turn bring on chest pain, and a rapid, bounding heart rate. Is that how you felt that morning? Normally there are a number of things that can trigger an attack, and very often they are extremely hard to control. The best way is to concentrate on your breathing and try to get it back to a normal rate which is 12 - 18 breaths/minute. Its tough, because even though you are breathing normally, during the attack it feels like you can't breathe at all.

Without being able to see you and not knowing your medical history, its tough to say exactly what else, if anything, might be going on. Worst case scenario is that you were having some type of cardiac event which self reverted. Heart problems can cause you to have this feeling of impending doom, so definately get it checked out, and if it happens again, might be worth calling an ambulance to get yourself checked over while the episode is happening.

Hope this helps, take care,

Jason.

• jwcol
    jwcol

Just to clarify, you aren't feeling suicidal. You have feelings that you will die though and it scares you....

St. John's Wort is mild. It promotes a general positive mood but probably won't touch what you are dealing with. I've dealt with severe depression for years and I'm getting better. I've been on several different combinations of medication. See your doctor and be prepared, this might be something that you wrestle with for awhile. Is it possible you are going through some of the symptoms of menopause? You seem too young for that though....

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

It does sound like panick attacts. Does this feeling that you may die start when you are in the panic attack or is it a lingering feeling before this started or does it linger after.

The attack is enough to scare one into feeling they may be dieing at that instant. But I would think the lingering feeling of dying if it has been around for some time is another issue. Or maybe the base cause of the attacks.

Outoftheorg

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    Its tough, because even though you are breathing normally, during the attack it feels like you can't breathe at all.

That I remember feeling. I almost had to make myself breath because as I was going though this episode I felt as if I wasn't breathing although I am sure I was. I didn't check my pulse so I can't say if it was rasing or not.

jwcol, no suisidal thoughts here, I just had this feeling of severe dread and that death was upon me. As for right now I am feeling fine. I hope to feel even better after I see the Dr. The St Johs wart is just until I can get to the Dr.

As for menopause. I have had this mentioned also but so far my menstral cycle is still normal so I doubt it's that. From what I've heard to have to have started missing a few for it to be menopause or pre-menopause, but I will find that out as well I hope.

Thanks for the replies. It helps to hear from others as I was feeling as if I had lost my mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit