Joe Hovah and his SEVENTEEN Commandments! Not Merely Ten!

by Mistah MOJO 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Oops! Which "Ten Commandments" are we going to follow? You see, there exist two sets of "Ten Commandments" in Jehovah's Inerrant Bible, each of them very different from the other. Uh oh, looks like another Bible SNAFU in the road ahead!

First List of "Ten" Commandments (Exodus 20)

Second List of "Ten" Commandments (Exodus 34)

1. I am the LORD thy god, which have brought thee out of the

1. Thou shalt worship none other god, for the LORD, whose Name is Jealous, he is a jealous god.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image. Thou shalt not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD thy god am a jealous god.

2. Thou shalt not make any molten gods.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy god in vain.

3. Thou shalt keep the feast of unleavened bread in the month which the ear is on the corn.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

4. All of the firstborn belong to me.

5. Honor thy father and thy mother.

5. Thou shalt work six days, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.

6. Thou shalt not kill.

6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, the first fruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

9. Thou shalt bring the first of the first fruits of thy ground unto the house of the LORD thy God.

10. Thou shalt not covet.

10. Thou shalt not boil a baby goat in its mother's milk.

Which of these very different lists of "ten commandments" are Mr. and Mrs. Fundamentalist going on about? There are fully seven commandments in the second list of "ten commandments" not found in the first! These two sets of "ten commandments" only have three commandments in common. That makes seventeen commandments in all! Both of these sets of "ten commandments" were supposedly given to Moses on . Which set are we supposed to believe and obey? The second set of the "ten commandments" (Given after Moses destroyed the first set of stone tablets!) has even more pointless material about cultic observances than the first. These cultic rites and cultic taboos are the Light Of The World and the Glory Of Jehovah? These cultic rites and cultic taboos somehow vindicate Jehovah and his satanic behavior and transmute Joe Hovah the god of dreck into purest gold?

The first set of "Ten Commandmenrts" are the ones Moses supposedly was given by Gawd when Moses was all alone WITH NO WITNESSES TO THE FACT on Mount Sinai. ("At the testimony of TWO or THREE WITNESSES...") Then Moses comes down, sees the Israelites doing rhe wild thang in front of the Golden calf, so he breaks the stone tablets. Then, he goes back up the Mount and gets ANOTHER set of stone tablets suppoesedly written by God, but THIS TIME IT'S A DIFFERENT SET ENTIRELY!

So which set is the "true" set of "Ten Commandments?" MM

• Arthur
    Arthur

One of the best books (in my opinion) that addresses this issue is "Who Wrote The Bible" by Richard Elliott Friedman. Friedman explains in detail the Documentary Hypothesis which outlines the four different writers who were the likely authors of the Torah.

In my opinion, the Documentary Hypothesis is a valuable method of explaining the various dichotomies of the Old Testament; such as the two creation accounts, two flood accouts, as well as other doublets that occur. The two variations of the Ten Commandments are discussed at great length by Friedman in his book.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Nate There are many more than 17 commands!

Which "Ten Commandments" are we going to follow?
    I'm not under the law, I'm under grace!

Gal 2:21
    I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness is through law, then Christ died without cause.

Gal 5:4

...you who are justified by Law are deprived of all effect from Christ; you fell from grace.

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Hi Arthur. Agreed. JEDP explains a lot of BS. Thanks for dropping in. MM

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

Hi Deputy Dog! Nice attempt at a sidestep, but the point of the post is that one cannot trust the Bible, it's full of contradictory nonsesne. If there wasn't really a Law given at Sinai, what did Jesus deliver you from? Hm? I'll be ripping into your NT here shortly. MM

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Nate

If there wasn't really a Law given at Sinai, what did Jesus deliver you from?

I never said there wasn't really a Law given at Sinai, my point was it doesn't matter how many commands you find. If there was only one command given (Like don't eat that fruit.) you couldn't obey it!

Jesus deliverd me from the Wrath of God!

I'll be ripping into your NT here shortly

Can't wait till you get to your Koran!

• Mistah MOJO
    Mistah MOJO

DD, you are obviously used to dealing only with your fellow fundiots, arguing your tweedldum and tweedldee positions. The point of the post is that the very foundation of your faith...the Divine inspiration of the OT..is demnstrably false. Demonstrabble even by a child. You went from being a JW who believed nonsense and superstition to a fundiot who believes nonsense and superstition. You still believe the same basic lunacy. How sad that you didn't move on with your life.

The NT and it's "precious promises" and "saving truths" are built upon the OT. If the foundation is sand then the building collapses. It's one of the parables of Jesus, right? You believe Jesus, right?

The foundation here is the OT, the building is the NT (and all your literalist hopes). so by demonstrating your foundation is sand anyone can see that your literalist beliefs and hope has no more substance than a fart. If Jesus, as Paul argues, delivered us from the curse of the Law (with it's supposed attendant "wrath of God"), yet "the Law" is demonstrably nonsensical and self-contradictory, then Paul's fantasy about "the Law" and "God's wrath" is shown to be precisely that, a fantasy.

The humorous part of this is that you're not even acting in an adult fashion, as someone looking for Truth. You're simply trying to play a game of "Oh looky how clever I am! I sure side-stepped that one! Let's see if I can derail the conversation into something else!" I don't fall for it little boy. I was a Dub too and I know all the games. Now go play in your delusional world of angry gods and demigods who died for you. You're still as silly as you were when you were a Dub, which is very sad indeed. MM

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

No Mo Jo

I was a Dub too and I know all the games.

What does that tell you about me? LOL You think you know me. You are quite a KNOW IT ALL aren't you, You think you have an answer for everybody. I'll bet you showed every body what you knew when you where a Dub (won all the arguments huh) Looking at this post you can't even count! FCOL

Tell me Nate, how many times have you read your own book? I hope you learn something new about me every time you do!

Really Nate why did you stop at 17? Is that as high as you can count? Why do you see that as a problem?

• Ade
    Ade

Hi,
    given the fact that the wording for the fourth and the tenth commandments differ here in Deuteronomy, how shall we explain this if these words were written directly by GOD while Moses was on the mount ?? One would expect the wording to agree perfectly with that of Exodus 20:8-12, 17

The major differences between the two accounts of the TEN Commandments are these (1)"Remember the sabbath day" of Exodus 20:8 is replaced in Deuteronomy 5:12 with "Observe the sabbath day" (2) Deuteronomy twice adds to the fifth commandment "as the LORD you God has commanded you" in keeping with the exhortation characteristics of this book;
    (3) Deuteronomy 5:14 expands "nor your animals" with "so that your manservant and maidservant may rest, as you do";(4)the grounding of the sabbath command in creation in Exodus 20:11 is absent here, For Deuteronomy appeals to Israels deliverance from the bondage in Egypt;(5)so that you may live long" has added to it in Deuteronomy "and that it may go well with you";(6)the ninth commandment had "false" in the Deuteronomy law instead of the (literally) "mendacious testimony" of Exodus 20:16, (7) the tenth commandment of deuteronomy places "your neighbours wife" first while Exodus 20:17 has "your neighbours house" first, (8) the word "covet", which appears twice in Exodus 20:17, is replaced the second time with a different verb in Deuteronomy 5:21 , "set your desire on "; and (9) Deuteronomy adds "or land" to the tenth commandment in keeping with its more elaborate style and anticipation of ENTERING THE LAND OF CANAAN.

The fact that the two accounts differ is an indication that one of the two is not a verbatim presentation of the decalouge as it was written by "the finger of God"on Mount Sinai . There is nothing in a high view of inspiration that would require to a verbatim report, but given the fact that the decalogue is said to have come in some direct manner from the hand of God, one would assume that at least one of them was a faithful record of that transaction. The most reasonable assumption is that the text of Exodus is the original one and that Moses restatement in Deuteronomy is somewhat free. This allowed Moses ( who was constantly in communication with God ) to present the commandments with some modification and updating of the situation in light of their pending entrance into the land of Canaan, While still adhering closely to the original form. In Fact, these differences are very slight and of very little consequence except as viewed against the challenges that would present themselves whence entering into the land of Canaan.Deuteronomy also had more of an exhortical character of writing to it along with special attention given to women taking priority over land/property.

please note i am not wishing to stand for or against anyone, i trust the word of God only, but according to the logical person the explanation laid here seems to cover your questionings to the fulness of necessity.
    please excuse my awful typing
    God bless you all
    Ade

• V
    V
    This allowed Moses ( who was constantly in communication with God ) to present the commandments with some modification and updating of the situation in light of their pending entrance into the land of Canaan,

Oh, that explains it. Sounds like something I would hear from the FDS regarding changing doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit