FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE vs GOVERNING BODY

by plmkrzy 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I copied this from wikipedia so I hope the pic of the chart shows up. It is interesting to read things about the religion in a completely unbiased format. It puts things/sheds light in a more simplified manor. Sometimes just looking at the basic structure of something allows the overall scheme of things to become much more obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
    1976-Present

The leadership of Jehovah's Witnesses was reorganized in 1976 and the power of the presidency passed on to the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses . Subsequent presidents of the Watch Tower Society after Knorr's death in 1977 have been Frederick William Franz , Milton George Henschel and Don A. Adams . However, doctrinal and organizational decisions since 1976 have been made by the Governing Body. [69] The Writing Committee of the Governing Body now edits all Witness publications. Congregation affairs are under the direction of the Service Committee of the Governing Body. [70]

Matthew 24:45 depicts a "faithful and discreet slave" who is "appointed over" others to "give them their food at the proper time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithful_and_Discreet_Slave#Current_Doctrine

Effect of Current Doctrine on Teaching Authority

Although the Faithful and Discreet Slave is believed to be the earthly source of doctrine for Jehovah's Witnesses , very few from this group have any decision making authority regarding institution of doctrine, changes to doctrine, or decisions relative to Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide. All decision making authority with regard to doctrine is vested entirely in the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses .

((((doctrinal and organizational decisions since 1976 have been made by the Governing Body. [69] The Writing Committee of the Governing Body now edits all Witness publications. Congregation affairs are under the direction of the Service Committee of the Governing Body. [70])))

"'The faithful and discreet slave' seeks to preserve unity and makes it possible organizationally for 'all things to take place decently and by arrangement.' (1 Cor. 14:40) To accomplish this in the first century, a group of anointed Christians from among the faithful and discreet slave class were chosen as its representatives. As such, they did not consult with all anointed elders in the world before making decisions. From their position in the Jerusalem congregation, they served as a governing body for the entire anointed Christian congregation." [17]

In contrast, new members of the Governing Body today are selected only by existing members of the Governing Body, and members of the Faithful and Discreet Slave class do not at all choose their representatives. Given this reality, the effect of current doctrine on teaching authority is that the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses are coming, not from the Faithful and Discreet Slave, but from the Governing Body. The Faithful and Discreet Slave is not listed in the Organizational structure of Jehovah's Witnesses and the Governing Body is in no way subject to this group. Individual members of the Faithful and Discreet Slave also risk disfellowshipping for publicly rejecting the teachings of the Governing Body. It is difficult for any outside observer to determine where the Faithful and Discreet Slave, as a class, has actual authority over anything.

• plmkrzy
  • truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Somebody should let them know that there is no faithful slave. The GB is it.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Somebody should let them know that there is no faithful slave. The GB is it.

That will probably be included in future new light when they announce the entire faithful and discreet slave class is not literal.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Interesting point, it's the GB that chooses who comes next not the 'faithful slave'.
    Another interesting thing I've though about is if there was a 1st century governing body, why wern't people chosen as successors? I mean, wouldn't this centralized authority have some kind of HISTORY behind it if it was really a part of early christianity?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I mean, wouldn't this centralized authority have some kind of HISTORY behind it

Must have been the first "new light". What began as a restoration of Christianity became a complete overhaul. The GB doesn’t even like to refer to its own history lol!

• Confession
    Confession

It is difficult for any outside observer to determine where the Faithful and Discreet Slave, as a class, has actual authority over anything.

Former JW and member of the Bethel "family," Paul Blizard, once wrote of his discussions with Fred Franz...

Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught that Jehovah God himself deals directly only with a group known as “the remnant” and that other Jehovah’s Witnesses must deal with Him through the Watchtower Society. The arrangement puzzled me.

I asked: “Brother Franz, since the Watchtower Society in Brooklyn is the only outlet for God to speak through, by way of printed materials and so forth, how would someone of the “remnant” get information from God to other Witnesses? I mean … how would an older sister, say, way out in the country, for example, give Spiritual food from Jehovah to others?”

Franz’s face turned red and he replied: “How? … By supporting what is printed in the Watchtower, that’s how!” With that, he went to his room. End of discussion.

I had no idea that the question would draw such a reaction. The question was one that could not be answered by anyone at Bethel without admitting that they were the sole distributors of truth, which contradicted what they taught.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught that Jehovah God himself deals directly only with a group known as “the remnant”

What did Franz say at the end of his prayers?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

One year I had to make the report for our congregation to Service on Memorial partakers. I was shocked when I saw the little pink card I had to fill out. All they asked for was a number! No names, no addresses. Further the decision on who to count was up to non-anointed elders! In fact that year a brother in our Hall partook. A few of us elders, two or three, huddled right after the Memorial to decide on whether he would get counted. I remembered this incident a few years later when I read ISOCF. The Governing doesn't care who is anointed since they do what they want. The FDS is to me the BIGGEST lie they have ever perpetrated.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    A few of us elders, two or three, huddled right after the Memorial to decide on whether he would get counted.

Incredible! As if little pink cards aren’t bad enough. What a joke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit