Fact Jews Returned In 538 BC Kills Off Watchtower Chronology

by AlanF 54 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Enough with the diatribe , scholar. Just get on with it and refute it.

One of the reasons I never signed up with my father's religion, was that he never proved anything.

When he got cornered he always retreated into his corner and recited his mantras.

"These people are Bible scholars!"

"These people are Spirit directed!"

"Because it's the Truth!"

For example, in times of national crisis or conflict, demagogues may use such slogans as "My country, right or wrong," "Fatherland, Religion, Family," or "Freedom or Death." But do most people carefully analyze the real issues involved in the crisis or conflict? Or do they just accept what they are told? 'The Manipulation of Information' http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2000/6/22/article_02.htm

Have a nice day.

Chris

• James Free
    James Free
    The Bible does not explicitly relate these events to any event that can be firmly dated to our Gregorian calendar. However, a careful examination of historical data indicates that it was Cyrus' general practice to free captives from the nations he conquered shortly after he secured his authority.

You could be right, you could be wrong. I am no scholar, so I went along with it until I got to the above quote. Hmm, 'careful examination' (not backed up) and 'general practice' - sounds like the sort of WT babble I used to fall for.

We can assume from the evidence................whatever fits!

Sorry, you lost my vote.

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus brainus deadus wrote:

: What you post regarding 538 as being the only possible date for the Return is utter nonsense.

Prove it.

: For starters what you should do is run your theory past your guru Carl Jonsson and see if he agrees with your opinion. Have you done this?

Yes, and he agrees with the arguments.

: Because if your claim is correct then how is it that Jonsson does not adopt such a dogmatic approach?

This was new information for him.

Furthermore, Jonsson's views are irrelevant to this issue. The facts I've presented stand by themselves.

: Why is it also the case that scholars do not share your dogmatic enthusiasm for 538 BCE for the Return?

Um, perhaps most scholars have not yet put two and two together in terms of Josephus' locking down the date of the events in Ezra?

Again, the opinions of scholars who have not commented on the issue are irrelevant to the facts I've presented.

However, as I have pointed out again and again, the only modern scholars I've seen comment specifically on this issue all agree that 538 is the correct date. I've posted the references in other threads, which you've read. On the other hand, you are quite unable to find any modern scholarly support at all for the 537 date, nor can you find anything but speculation in Watchtower publications.

: What you have posted is sheer nonsense and your interpretation of the biblical and secular evidence is simply that for if you have something worthwhile then submit it to the scholarly community by means of a journal artlcle as celebrated WT scholars have done.

That's an argument? Naah. It's your usual gibberish.

As of now, scholar pretendus stupidus maximus, you have no case. The only way for you to have a case is to do what I said:

If you disagree with any of the above facts, prove your case by making point-by-point refutations of my arguments. To prove that you know what you're talking about, provide your own detailed chronological tabulation like I have done above.

Last week you got your ass kicked on this topic by proving that you have no idea what you're talking about. Put your money where your mouth is.

James Free said:

:: The Bible does not explicitly relate these events to any event that can be firmly dated to our Gregorian calendar. However, a careful examination of historical data indicates that it was Cyrus' general practice to free captives from the nations he conquered shortly after he secured his authority.

:You could be right, you could be wrong.

No, I'm right. I've known this bit of information for a long time, and I've read it in several scholarly works.

Do keep in mind that this point is minor, and has nothing to do with the basic point of my post. My intent was not to post a long tome proving every minor detail with scholarly references, but to give the meat: Josephus locks down the date of the events in Ezra.

: I am no scholar,

That appears to be the case.

: so I went along with it until I got to the above quote. Hmm, 'careful examination' (not backed up) and 'general practice' - sounds like the sort of WT babble I used to fall for.

Well, I'm glad that you're now attuned to picking out unsupported statements, and for that I commend you. However, you can easily begin a small program of research to confirm or disconfirm what I said. You might begin with some Internet research.

With a bit of work, I can find scholarly quotations that confirm what I said. Would that be enough to convince you that I've done my homework?

: We can assume from the evidence................whatever fits!

True enough. But what I've said is not an assumption -- it's common knowledge among scholars of ancient history.

I should point out that your post consists entirely of doing what you don't like that I've done -- not backing up every little statement with a scholarly reference. Indeed, your post is essentially, "I doubt what you say because I assume that you might be wrong." Well don't assume. Find out. : Sorry, you lost my vote. I could make a sarcastic comment here, but will refrain. I will point out, though, that the truth of a matter is not determined by vote, but by weight of evidence.

AlanF

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    James Free: You could be right, you could be wrong. I am no scholar, so I went along with it until I got to the above quote. Hmm, 'careful examination' (not backed up) and 'general practice' - sounds like the sort of WT babble I used to fall for.

If you read the rest of the post that tripped you up you will find that he does NOT rely on the assumption of accuracy a la the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society but, instead, relies on Josephus and the Bible for the basis of his argument. The fact that Josephus and the Bible support the assumptions made by scholars regarding the probable timing of the release serves to support that probability to near certainty.

If you were a scholar you would know that dating of ancient events often relies on stating and defending the most likely probabilities, until and unless evidence is forthcoming which changes the probabilities in favor of a different understanding. With religious ideology, new data does not generate a changed understanding (e.g. the dicoveries from the Ancient Near East over the last 100 years). With secular historical ideology, new data does generate a changed understanding.

Which is the more likely, in your opinion, to be unbiased in the presentation of information, (1) the one with a doctrine at stake on which rests all claims of divine authority, or (2) the one with nothing at stake, whatsoever, except possible acquiring of fame among peers for developing a changed understanding of history?

You see, if a secular historian could revolutionize the understanding of ANE chronology in support of 607 BC as the 18th year of Nebuchadnezzar they would be lauded for the achievement, not made into a pariah. The fact that no one has done so is, by itself, a strong testament to the degree of secular certainty regarding the timing of events in this period of history.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

If you say that Carl Jonsson believes that 538 BCE is the only possible date for the Return then prove it for Jonsson nowhere in his GTR has stated this matter as dogmatically as you have. Jonsson does not share your dogmatic opinion and niether do modern scholars.

I challenge you to provide confirmation of your special little theory by other scholars or other reference works because all that you have is a personal opinion or preference which is meaningless. There would be some scholars who argue for 538 and there would also be others who prefer 537 BCE so where does this leave your little pet theory.

scholar JW

• Mary
    Mary
    Scholar droned: I challenge you to provide confirmation of your special little theory by other scholars or other reference works

Uh oh........It iz A-LIVE!!!!!!!

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus stupidus maximus moaned:

: If you say that Carl Jonsson believes that 538 BCE is the only possible date for the Return then prove it for Jonsson nowhere in his GTR has stated this matter as dogmatically as you have. Jonsson does not share your dogmatic opinion and niether do modern scholars.

First, as I explained to you, Jonsson's opinions are irrelevant to the facts I've presented.

Second, Jonsson most certainly does believe that the Jews returned in 538 B.C. He explicitly states that in GTR4. You have the reference. No one has to be "dogmatic" about anything in order to believe it -- they simply have to lay out their reasons. Jonsson has done that.

As for modern scholars, I've read several opinions and they all agree. On the other hand, no modern scholars I'm aware of think the Jews returned in 537. Nor are you aware of any.

: I challenge you to provide confirmation of your special little theory by other scholars or other reference works

I need no other confirmation. I have laid out the facts. You don't like it. Tough shit.

Your silly excuses show you're getting desperate in the face of zero facts that support your claim, and overwhelming facts in the Bible and Josephus that disprove it.

: because all that you have is a personal opinion or preference which is meaningless.

Bullshit. I have facts. I've laid them out for all to see. The facts speak for themselves and are incontrovertible.

If you disagree with the facts, then point out which ones and why.

The fact is, scholar pretendus brainus minimus, you have no information whatsoever that contravenes the facts. Thus, you try to "argue by authority", but you muck even this up because all you can manage to say is that you don't think any modern authorities agree with me -- which is a lie. But since you have no authorities to back up your claim, all you can do is foam at the mouth, railing about your non-existent scholars you wish would magically appear.

: There would be some scholars who argue for 538 and there would also be others who prefer 537 BCE so where does this leave your little pet theory.

You go right ahead and produce the works and names of modern scholars who prefer 537, along with their reasoning. Then we can go further.

At this point, since you can produce no such scholars, you might as well be claiming that some scholars believe that the earth is flat.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Your dogmatic and grandiose opinion that 538 is the only date for the Return does not agree with the rather modest claims about 538 presented by Jonsson by means of a footnote which is based on only two scholarly sources. These scholars do not share your dogmatism about this matter. In fact, scholars scholars are not concerned about the precise date for the Return but merely focus on year of Cyrus' Decree which is widely held to be 538 with the Return following that.

Have you presented your new theory about hte matter with all of your 'startling evidence' for the approval of your guru Jonsson yet?

I challenge you present definite scholarly opinion that supports 538 and not 537 for the Return and further if you search 537 by means of google you will notice that there is a general acceptance for 537 rather 538. So much for your childish nonsense.

scholar JW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

AlanF,

What you propose in your opening post on this thread is wrong. Just plain wrong, incorrect as in wrong, wrong, wrong. Not right either.

Scholasauras Terrifium Drunkam Againan.

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus braindeadus completus said:

: Your dogmatic and grandiose opinion that 538 is the only date for the Return

What do you call the Society's dogmatic and grandiose opinion that 537 is the only date for the Return? Do you not see your hypocrisy?

You know perfectly well that it's based on pure speculation and that they've never presented any facts to support the speculation. My conclusion is based on facts taken from the Bible and Josephus. Therefore it is an opinion only to the extent that the facts I've presented are wrong. You have yet to deal with even one of those facts. You're nothing but a blusterer, someone whose lips constantly flap in the wind.

: does not agree with the rather modest claims about 538 presented by Jonsson by means of a footnote which is based on only two scholarly sources.

What did I say about that in the above posts, you moron?

: These scholars do not share your dogmatism about this matter. In fact, scholars scholars are not concerned about the precise date for the Return but merely focus on year of Cyrus' Decree which is widely held to be 538 with the Return following that.

I am unconcerned about whether some scholars are dogmatic about the matter. The above facts speak for themselves, and are incontrovertible. If you don't like those facts, then run them by some scholars of your choice and let's see what they say. Of course, you'll never do that, any more than you've ever run anything contradicting Watchtower claims by any scholars.

: Have you presented your new theory about hte matter with all of your 'startling evidence' for the approval of your guru Jonsson yet?

What did I say about that in the above posts, you moron?

: I challenge you present definite scholarly opinion that supports 538 and not 537 for the Return and further if you search 537 by means of google you will notice that there is a general acceptance for 537 rather 538. So much for your childish nonsense.

Not until you give full source references to at least two modern scholars who support the 537 date, along with their reasoning; you provide URL links to the people you claim support 537, along with their reasoning; and most important of all, you show that you understand all such material you come up with by collating it into a consistent and coherent whole, and finally, as I have repeatedly stated, do the following:

If you disagree with any of the above facts, prove your case by making point-by-point refutations of my arguments. To prove that you know what you're talking about, provide your own detailed chronological tabulation like I have done above.

If you cannot manage to to do all of the above, then you have simply confirmed -- as if any more confirmation were necessary -- that you have no facts at your command and you do not understand this material.

You've already demonstrated complete incompetence even in simple matters like relating the Julian, Gregorian, Jewish and Babylonian calendars to one another. You've claimed that Cyrus' first year began some time in either 538 or 537 B.C., even though the Society accepts that it began in Nisan 538. You even claimed that the year before 537 was 537!

You're a drowning man Neil. You just don't know it yet.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit