Came out to my parents

by jstalin 20 Replies latest social family

• jstalin
    jstalin

Just wanted to write about my experience in coming out to my parents in the last two weeks.

It's a long story, but my sister and I are both gay, but we haven't come out to our parents until now. My sister and I have been debating with each other the best way to come out to them because we've known that it would be a serious blow to them. Our parents are catholic and pretty conservative people. The bottom line is that my sister's girlfriend has been getting a little impatient with my sister's secrecy, so my sister called my mom two weeks ago and came out to her on the phone (my sister lives several states away). Well, this was a surprise to me because I thought things would be better planned than that, and I don't think that doing so over the phone was the best way to do it.

Anyhow, I came up in the conversation and my mom asked my sister if I'm gay too. My sister said that she would have to talk to me about it, which my mom took immediately as "yes."

Well, this caused a bit of a stir, since I was out of town on business. My mom called me and invited me to dinner. I agreed.

I had dinner with my parents and afterwords they sat me down in the living room and said "we need to talk." I said yes we do, and they said my sister had come out to them and they wondered about me. I told them that I am gay too and that I'm happier than I've ever been because I've finally come to terms with myself and have found a great boyfriend that I adore and we have such a great time together.

Well, my parents were very upset, and my dad even said "what the f--k did we do wrong?" They were both crying. I felt so bad for them, because two of their three kids are gay. Their biggest wish is to have grandkids in the area, and that's kinda crushed. My mom started going off on how it's unnatural to be gay and gay sex is disgusting, etc. I stopped her and said that I understand how most people are repulsed by it, but they're entitled to their opinion. They continued to cry and bring up things like aids, and my mom was so disgusted to hear that I've been to gay bars. I had to explain to her that her view is very distorted by both the media and the conservative world she lives in and that gay bars are very much like regular bars. She asked me about my boyfriend, but didn't want too much detail.

Well, after about an hour of arguing, explaining, and just talking, they told me that they've made an appointment to talk to a priest about this. I told them that I'd be willing to go with them to help them through this. They are fully aware that I'm an atheist, and I told them that they shouldn't expect any conversion or anything, that I would be going to talk it through with them.

Well, this past sunday morning I went with my parents to talk to the priest and it went surprisingly well. I have a lot of respect for the catholic chuch and that priest increased that respect. He didn't once tell me that I was wrong or that I need to stop what I'm doing. The entire jist of what he told my parents was that they will need to deal with this and that keeping it a secret wouldn't help anyone. He stressed the importance of family and acceptance and he flat out said that my parents will need to expect to have a non-traditional family. I was a little shocked. He acknowledged that the church does not support gay marriage, but the church says that marriage fulfills two functions - procreation and companionship. He said that gay relationships are about companionship and not just sex and that even though the church doesn't condone it, homosexual relationships are legitimately about love. The four of us spoke for about an hour and the priest pledged to get my parents the names of some parent support groups in the area. I left feeling pretty good about the meeting and I think it helped my parents as well. It'll take some time for them to start to accept what my sister and I are, but I think we're on the right track.

Well, just wanted to get that off my chest.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Wow - sounds like you had a pretty liberal priest there. I hope that made it somewhat easier on your parents.

Can i ask though if you are catholic (now atheist) how you came to be here on an ex JW board? Just out of interest and in no way to say you are anything other than very welcome here?

crumpet x

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

jstalin,

Wow, what a great priest and so open minded! I am really happy for you. It must be really hard to try to pretend you are someone else, being yourself is so much easier. I have a brother who is gay and my hubby has two of them and a niece who is gay. They are treated just like everyone else by our family and should be. I think the priest put your parents are ease a little about the issue and hopefully it will not hurt your relationship with them. You must feel such a relief that you finally told them. Again, I am happy for you that it went fairly well. Lilly

• forsharry
    forsharry

wow, i am blown away by the priest's very logical thinking outlook on this. I'm sure that was a great soother to you to hear that come from not only a third party but one that your parents obviously respect. That is most awesome!

I wish you the best of luck and happiness in your life. I hope your parents come to an understanding of this relatively quickly. It's not the end...it just means the road has gone in a slightly different direction than what you thought it was going to take you. :)

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Wow JTStalin

I haven't had that conversation with my parents yet, although Im pretty sure in the back of their minds they know. My parents have been divorced since 1979 but they both live about a couple of hours from where I live. Since I started to fade around the age of 30 and deal with getting out of the organization and moving away from where I lived so I can truly find out who I really was, in addition to admitting to myself I was gay, I never really wanted to confront that with other stuff I had to deal with. I dont have a steady boyfriend or partner right now (just a lover who I can only see about twice a year since he lives in Denmark in which both my parents met him and they really like him). They know he is married so I dont know if they know what kind of relationship we have. I'm sure I will eventually tell them once I settle down with somebody, if that even happens while they are still alive.

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

Wow, that must be such a heavy weight lifted off your shoulders. Good for you.

My sister is gay-she did not tell any of us until after my JW Father passed away in 1992. She told my mother and I shortly after that-and although my mom has had some tough times dealing with it(she is a pretty strict Baptist), in the end she knows that this will always be the daughter she loves, nothing changes that, and that you just have to be accepting.

My sister and her girlfriend actually got married last summer, and surprise of all surprises-my mother walked her down the aisle. Never in a million years did I expect to see something like that.

Just goes to show you though that we don't give people enough credit as to how they will deal with certain situations that come up!

LIG

• lowden
    lowden

Well done jstalin, well done indeed!

One of my brothers is gay and he went through all the turmoil that you and your sis' have probably gone through.

Realisation of sexual preference, coming out, acceptance, loss of friends, telling your parents (wow that must be hard) etc, etc.

You've more to go through and address i'm sure but that must have been a great weight off the shoulders.

Peace

Lowden

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

J,

I'm glad that weight has been lifted off your chest, even though it wasn't how you planned it to be. I am surprised and very glad to know that the priest didn't attempt to condemn you whatsoever--how important to have your parents hear what he said.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Jstalin,

I cannot imagine how much courage this takes. My hat is off to you (I had the hardest time just telling my mom I wasn't going to meetings in my new city!). Seriously, I know it could not have been easy but kudos to you.

Now, hopefully, you can just be you and take each day at a time integrating your true Self with your place in your family.

Love and Light,

~B.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Wow, glad it went so well with the priest..I hope that you are able to continue having a relationship with your parents and am glad that you and your sister are both free of secrets now. I say life is just too short to pretend to be someone you're not, or to pretend you're not who you are.

Gay or straight, live life and be happy!

hugs

essie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit