A bit reluctant

by saki2fifty 148 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu
    the good outweighs the bad. For the most part, and I would say upwards of 90% of what is taught and excercised is good.... is good spiritually, good for bonding families, good molding morals, and good at doing what is most important... strengthening your relationship with God.

I just want to go back to something you said, Saki (welcome!!).I think that most people can agree that structure and order is preferable to anarchy to begin with. And that all people who have ethical guidelines benefit in some way from them, whether Muslim, Mormon, Catholic, Jewish, Hindu, or other. This is no accident; I think it is a kind of grace of God to all.

But the inherent value of any religion lies in its statements of truth. And the WTS loudly and boldly claims that it alone is the truth. It is a strong claim! It really is either true or false, and the WTS seems to understand that point well by making such a claim. If it is true, then it can be tested honestly and fearlessly. The first to present his case seems right, until another comes forward and questions it. (That's Proverbs 18:17). It's okay to cross-examine if your real intent is to find the truth. And remember that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs.

If you are searching--seriously--for truth, then you must not let anything or anyone get in your way. It is like taking a trip to a foreign land. And if you believe the Bible, it might help you to recall the verse that Jesus said that HE is the truth (John 6:14). And Peter replied to Jesus in John 6:68 "To WHOM shall we go? You alone have the words of eternal life." (That is, it is NOT the WTS that has the words of eternal life---but JESUS alone.) To search for truth will lead you to Christ, not a publishing company, I am sure.

Regarding your uncertainty about this discussion board... keep in mind that the journey for each of us (believers and non-believers) still has many turns ahead, to further define us. The story isn't finished yet for us. IMO if you put your hand into God's (or even Jesus'), you are being granted a potentially newer and deeper faith in God--not the "spoon-fed" variety of faith in a monthly publication but men whose names you don't even know! Faith in God can be exhiliarating.

Lady Liberty: loved your posts!

(Glad that hummingbird hasn't flown either, btw. )

bebu

Never been a JW class

• target
    target

I have been following this thread and want to also Welcome Saki and Hummingbird.

I have been out for 5 years after being in for 30. All those years I was always bothered by "New Light". I would always think to myself "If they are indeed getting it right from Jehovah, then it would be right the first time around. There should never be a need for new light. In the OT there was never new light". But then I would tell myself that it did not matter because this is The Truth. Then one day I asked myself "What IF....... What IF it is NOT the Truth..... What IF.......

Now I had to know for sure and so the researching started. I found much more than I asked for. I came on this board just in time for the UN exposure. The rest is history.

There is nothing wrong with looking for proof.

Target

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

I would always think to myself "If they are indeed getting it right from Jehovah, then it would be right the first time around. There should never be a need for new light.

Dear Target,

I totally agree with your above statement. To use the comparison of light getting brighter, it would mean that because it was truth, it would not become "old light". Rather, a clarification as to why it was truth would be light getting brighter. In that sence, clearer understanding would apply. What is truely truth will ALWAYS and foever be truth! However, it could not possibly mean an abandoning of that truth. If that was the case, it would mean it never was the truth to begin with. Jehovah used imperfect men in Bible times, yet, when he prophecied by using them to deliver his message, it came true. Knowing that God does not change tells us that when certain thinking changes, and no longer is upheld, should cause us to stand back and ask, "Is this really from Jehovah? And if so.. why has it changed, for Jehovah doesn't get things wrong." If the governing body is truely speaking for Jehovah, and giving food at the proper time, then why do things change. Whenever there is a change in thinking, rather than admitting that the slave got it wrong, they either blame the rank and file, or they blame Jehovah, saying that he revieled this new light to them. That is panamount to saying that he lied the first time, or couldn't get it right the first time. Which we all know is ridiculous not to mention terribly insulting to Jehovah and all who love truth. Just look at the blood issue, organ transplant, disfellowshipping...etc. In fact it reminds me of something I came acrossed the other day that I printed a while back, here is a "perfect" example of what I mean: "We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience." (Watchtower April 1, 1920, pp. 100-101)

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

Hi Saki,

I posted to this thread about the context of Mt 25:45. I was hoping to get your observation about why you feel this scripture shows Jesus making this 'appointment' in 1918 when the rest of the passage talks of his coming as executioner and rewarder. (which hasn't happened yet.) It says nothing about his making this 'appointment' in advance of his coming. I think this is the single most important teaching of WTS, because based on it you are supposed to accept anything they say.

Regards,

B

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    This guy is a player like a Scoobysnax. lol, shake the dust off your feet and move on.

Not so fast........Mr. Saki has some real sincerity that I, for one, would not want to discount.......let's see how he plays out, eh?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Mr. Saki has some real sincerity that I, for one, would not want to discount

Agreed, Bizzy. Saki is a genuine person, and I think he is a seeker of truth. Just because he doesnt throw himself into the fray and get into doctrinal debate doesnt mean hes not thinking and weighing things up.

Hes already told us hes shy. Just let him do what he needs to do here.

Dont go Saki. I like you and I admire the way you defend your beliefs with as much reasonableness and balance as possible.

• saki2fifty
    saki2fifty

Creating a new thread... look for it.

I'll be leaving this board.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Ewwwwwww..................!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Oh, well, another one bites the dust.............next?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit