Why Joseph did not bonk Mrs Pot

by Inquisitor 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

The WTS loooves to harp on the story of Joseph fleeing from Potiphar's wife (see this week's Watchtower article). It provides a most convenient moral story with which to command young people to remain celibate till marriage. The aim is noble, but is the basis credible?

I've often wondered if Joseph rejected Mrs Potiphar for reasons OTHER than Chastity. For one, she might have been a toothless, droopy old hag who compensated with heavy mascara. While the Bible described Joseph as a "beautiful" young man twice in the same sentence (Gen 39:6), it is silent on Mrs. Potiphar's looks. The hot temptress is merely the fictitious imagination of those who are trying to exaggerate the integrity of young Joseph.

Another possible reason Joseph chose not to sleep with Mrs Pot might be found in his own rejection speech:

8 But he would refuse and would say to his master’s wife: "Here my master does not know what is with me in the house, and everything he has he has given into my hand. 9 There is no one greater in this house than I am, and he has not withheld from me anything at all except you, because you are his wife. So how could I commit this great badness and actually sin against God?" - Genesis 39:8,9

While I appreciate that it is possible that the Ten Commandments have not yet been produced at that time, it is worth comparing the message of the 10th Commandment (Exodus 20:17) with Joseph's words:

"You must not desire your fellowman’s house. You must not desire your fellowman’s wife, nor his slave man nor his slave girl nor his bull nor his ass nor anything that belongs to your fellowman.

Having read both accounts, what I'm thinking here is: Could Joseph's concept of sinning against his master and God revolve around the concept of property ownership and NOT the concept of chastity? Could Joseph have viewed sleeping with Mrs. Pot as an act of STEALING and not an act of LUST? There is nothing in the scriptures to insist on the chastity interpretation.

Some may wonder why should this be an issue. They may reason that "Yeah sleeping with someone's wife is in effect stealing another man's wife. That's called infidelity too."

Well, the difference is that, viewed in this light, Joseph's integrity reflected the male chauvinism of his time. It isn't based on pure righteousness as the WTS would have us believe. Joseph didn't shag Mrs Pot for the same reason he wouldn't have worn Pot's linen underwear or played with Pot's golf clubs. It's all about the toys that can be played with and toys that are exculsive to the master. And if I'm correct, Mrs. Pot was merely an exculsive TOY. And if this is true, it's not the kinda moral lesson you want to teach your kids. It has nothing to do with respecting women or valuing your virginity.

Another point I would like to make is that, if exclusive ownership was the basis of Jospeh's abstinence, who knows how Joseph would have behaved if the enthusiastic gal was not Potiphar's wife, but Potiphar's daughter who's old enough to attract suitors. Potiphar's single daughter is still the exclusive property of Potiphar, but would necking and petting be out of the question if Joseph and daughter were mutually attracted to each other?

Joseph's rejection of Mrs. Pot because she was another man's property should not be used ( as the WTS does) to preach chastity to young single men and women who're mutually attracted to one another. I'm not arguing against chastity, I'm arguing about the basis of such a sermon. We do not know that Joseph would NOT have hanky-pankied with a single woman he fancied of Potiphar's household, ESPECIALLY if the property ownership interpretation is true.

It is time to expose the stretch in the interpretation made by those with a conservative agenda.

INQ

• Forscher
    Forscher

Throughut history it has been fairly easy for peole of Potiphar's power to get rid of wives who no longer looked so beautiful and replace them with younger and prettier models, so I doubt the suggestion of her beauty being a factor has much credence. Joseph's words imply that he had access to sex if he wanted it, and knew it. Considering his exalted position among the servants he probably did have sexual access rights to female servants, head slaves usually did.
    I think the property rights explanation is the best one. Since nothing was withheld from him except the wife (Implies no daughter in the house), he would've been stupid to risk the man's wrath and his own position for such a daliiance. Such stupidity is not unknown in history, but apparently Joseph wasn't so stupid. I think we may be able to suspect that Potiphar didn't really believe his wife completely anyway. In most ancient cultures a slave considered guilty of such a transgression was usually executed in the most humiliating and painful way possible (in Rome, they crucified them I think). Such an afront to a master's authority merited no less. To ignore it with any leniency could've led to problems. Since Joseph was only incarcerated, I am left to think that Potipher had his doubts about his wife's story and his "anger" wasn't just at Joseph.
    I know that is very speculative, but it is my opinion. I also know others have drawn the same conclusion since their is a movie out there which presents that thought in its story.
    Forscher

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I think we may be able to suspect that Potiphar didn't really believe his wife completely anyway. In most ancient cultures a slave considered guilty of such a transgression was usually executed in the most humiliating and painful way possible (in Rome, they crucified them I think). Such an afront to a master's authority merited no less. To ignore it with any leniency could've led to problems. Since Joseph was only incarcerated, I am left to think that Potipher had his doubts about his wife's story and his "anger" wasn't just at Joseph.

That makes sense. I wondered that at one time, because Potiphar could've had him beheaded, no doubt.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Hi Forscher
    It slipped my mind that Potiphar possibly doubted his wife's innocence. I remember my Bible conductor teaching me this when I was 6 now that you raised this point.
    I personally wouldn't dismiss the suggestion that Potiphar's wife was a hag. True, pundits may show that a man of his stature had the power to dismiss wives, but that alone should not convince us that he exercised that priviledge. He may not have been able to. Suppose Potiphar's wife was not formerly a mere slave girl. Suppose she was born into nobility, she would have known how to play her cards right to ensure that her standing cannot be jeopardized. Perhaps Potiphar's marriage to her was a political move, not one based upon his attraction to her good looks. Perhaps Potiphar could not dismiss this unattractive woman out of fear for his political standing. For all we know, Potiphar's wife may have been a formidable noblewoman. It would almost be chauvinistic retrospection to assume that her worth necessarily lies only in her looks (or lack of).

On the other hand, Potiphar may have truly loved his hag of a wife. We should not assume that true love is above an ancient civilization that condoned concubinage and objectified women.

INQ

• serendipity
    serendipity
    We should not assume that true love is above an ancient civilization that condoned concubinage and objectified women.

I found your posts rather paradoxical.

With your frequent references to "hag" and a look at media today, it's obvious Western culture still objectifies women and "condones concubinage" i.e. casual attitudes toward sex.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Maybe Joseph had the hots for Mr. Pot...????

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Hi Serendipity

Thank you for your honesty. I apologize if my use of the term "hag" offends you. I was merely trying to stick to a term that captures the idea I wished to convey without having to type so many letters, e.g. "unattractive woman". Do you have a better term in mind?

While I agree with you that male chauvinism still exists in modern society, it would be ludicrous to insist that society hasn't made any progress since Potiphar's day. Feminism has made most men more conscious of injustices towards women. Feminism as we understand it today DID NOT EXIST in Potiphar's day.

INQ

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    Maybe Joseph had the hots for Mr. Pot...????

LOL!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Could Joseph's concept of sinning against his master and God revolve around the concept of property ownership and NOT the concept of chastity?

I totally agree. As you say, he did not want to callously use his Master's property (without permission).

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Stealth, with a cheeky remark like that, I would tell you to go sit in the corner. But I can see that you're already there.

INQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit