God's name ??

by Ade 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ade
    Ade

I know this has probably been covered before, if so i apologize for dragging it up again. 1) Is it acceptable just because its an accepted pronunciation to call GOD JE-HO-VAH 2) should the witnesses constantly be saying JEHOVAH this and JEHOVAH that, as it seems to me to be taking up GODS name ( if it is correct ) in a worthless way. To illustrate, would you in conversation keep saying ohhh Bob this and Bob that etc ( Bob being your earthly father ) 3) Why did Jesus never actually mention his Fathers name or indeed tell us to use it in prayer etc ( although the society have placed it constantly throughout the N.T) 4) It would appear the Divine name was not said by the Jews out of reverence for the creator ( not out of Jewish superstition as the WTBTS try to teach/or at least in the UK they teach this ) - is anyone/everyone in agreement with this statement. 5) Would we not be closer to say Yah-Weh if we were to pronounce GODS name. GOD bless you all Ade

• Reslight
    Reslight
    I know this has probably been covered before, if so i apologize for dragging it up again. 1) Is it acceptable just because its an accepted pronunciation to call GOD JE-HO-VAH 2)

I suppose over the years I have seen more than a hundred proposed ways of pronouncing God's name. I have read many arguments for supporting this or that pronunication. They all seem plausible in their own light, and yet they come up with different ways of spelling or pronouncing the divine name. Some of the authors even have made claims that if one is not using their acclaimed proper pronunication of the divine name, they will not be heard by God. In truth, every argument I have seen is based upon some kind of assumption(s), and then using the assumption(s) as a foundation, the argument is built upon it. In reality, we cannot ascertain if Abraham pronounced the divine name exactly the same as Daniel, or Jesus. The scriptures do not demand an exact pronunciation fo the divine name; this does not mean, however, the divine name is not important, or that we should substitute titles for the divine name. "The Lord" is one of the translations of the name of the false God "Baal", and Adonis (derived from the Hebrew, Adon, Adoni, Adonai). Evidently, the Satan has attempted to receive the praise by means of these substitutions. However, I certainly would not say that if one is saying "Praise the Lord" rather than "Praise Yahweh" that God does not accept the person's offer of praise simply because he has substituted a title for the divine name. God can read the hearts; I cannot. There is a proper usage of the word baal as meaning "lord", or "husband", even as there is a proper usage of the word Adon. I will come back to discuss more on this later, Yahweh willing. I have discussed a lot concerning this on the Restoration Light website. Christian love, Ronald (I am not with the Jehovah's Witnesses)

• parakeet
    parakeet

A number of alternative pronunciations for God's name have been used with varying amounts of reverence on this board. Some examples: Jehoover, Joho, Yah-no-way. And just today, I noticed this new variant: Jehahahahaha!
    Take your pick. The JWs' god is worthy of all of them.

• Ade
    Ade

I prefer just to refer to GOD as father ( the way Jesus instructed us to ), as i feel i cannot thus offend the true GOD, at least by mis-pronunciation of HIS name. I also agree that people theorize the way it should truly be pronounced, but we should think how quick we are if someone gets our name wrong, and how annoyed if they continue to do so. all the best GOD bless you all Ade

• rassillon
    rassillon

This is an interesting subject, at least to me.... I have given this a great deal of thought. The conclusion I have come up with is that the pronuciation really doesn't matter if you are honestly trying to get it right. Your point about getting irritated about a mispronunciation I would have to take exception to. I cannot believe in a god who would be that petty. Given the example of a parent with a child learning to speak, the child trys to say daddy but says da-da or tries to say Richard, but says ri-ru....I doubt the father would care what came out but would be over joyed about the attempt for his child to communicate with him. As for is is appropriate to use God's name or a title since he is our Heavenly Father. The bible clearly states that he wants to be our friend too, so I cannot believe he would find displeasure in any attempt. To think otherwise would be to put God in a box and define what he is willing/happy to do based on our own limited perception. For those that think Jehovah is not the right way to pronunce God's name and think that Ya-weh or Ya-heh-oh-wa or whatever, would you not also think that Jesus name should be pronounced Ya-hosh-a-wa or whatever it actually is and not the anglecanized pronucniation of a german translation of a greek transliteration? Anyway, I think since none of us know, we should not try to force our opinion on anyone else. If someone wants to use it and is being genuine I doubt God cares. -r

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I agree on various points made here, my feeling is that if it were essencial to worship then the name would have been preserved somehow. I think the witnesses have adopted one particular version and because they have named their group with this are kinda stuck with it. They do place a great deal of importance on the name, and yet no one really knows how to say it.

CS 101

• praiseband
    praiseband

My only feeling is that the JW written material is soooo obsessed and arrogant about the "fact" that they are the true religion using the true name, unlike the rest of us, but then go and tell us that no one is sure how to pronounce it. They will primarily use Jehovah even though their literature says it is probably pronounced more like Yah-weh. So, if it is so vitally important to use the proper name, and it is what sets them apart from others, why don't they pronounce it the way they say it is more likely to be correctly pronounced? It's the arrogance with no logic that bothers me. Myself, I don't think it matters so much. You worship and praise the one God and that is what counts with him, rather than all of us precisely pronouncing his name.

• Flash
    Flash

Jehovah or Yahweh? Either is fine with me. I am anxious to know God's view of it though. If we're mis-pronouncing it I'm sure He'll eventualy let us know.

Concerning Jesus, until the end of His 1000 year reign He is to be given more than the usual amount of Honor and Respect and I don't see that happening with the Witnesses. I must admit I am confused myself about how to go about it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Why is it important to pronounce an ancient tribal war gods name correctly? Superstition perhaps?

I understand the desire to truly honor the Source of all life and universes as it's often an innate and powerful aspiration (it has certainly been one of mine). However, in this special circumstance -- showing reverence to our Fount and Sustenance -- perhaps it would be advisable to not just blindly give our highest form of honor and attention to a primitive deity; no matter what the masses do. When it comes to the actuality of God, it may be wise to throw tradition and personal deities to the wind.

j

• evergreen
    evergreen

I have done quite a bit of research on this topic and find that Yahweh is probably much more accurate than Jehovah.

I also agree with what you said about praying to God by calling him father as Jesus/Yahshua did. It is much more intimate and personal. Occassionaly i will use yahweh in my prayers but mainly use father when addressing him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit