Baptism - To Whom?

by mavie 7 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

Thanks to Drew for originally posting this in one of Sagan's threads.

In light of the questions for baptism, specifically question 2:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

Now, consider the 'Bible Teach' book...

"What Does The Bible Really Teach?" At the back, on page 184 it says this:

However, baptism is not a mere bath. It is a symbol of something very important. Going beneath the water symbolizes that you have died to your former life course. Being raised up out of the water indicates that you are now alive to do the will of God. Remember, too, that you have made a dedication to Jehovah God himself, not to a work, a cause, other humans, or an organization. Your dedication and baptism are the beginning of a very close friendship with God—an intimate relationship with him.

How do they get out of this?
  • blondie
    blondie

Because they speak out of both sides of their mouth.

Because they make the rules.

• heretic
    heretic

Thanks Mavie-baby good point, I brought up this one with my mum (cant paste the link just go to my topics) Thats great stuff its the cherry on top of my previous convo, the KO. ahh you know they pass it off as apostate Cheers

• mavie
    mavie
    Thanks Mavie-baby good point, I brought up this one with my mum (cant paste the link just go to my topics) Thats great stuff its the cherry on top of my previous convo, the KO. ahh you know they pass it off as apostate

How can this be apostate? It is straight from JW literature!

• anakolouthos
    anakolouthos

I hear ya mavie, i was reading the new book the other night & noticed this point. It kills me that something from the WTS's own literate can be considered "apostate." But don't ya know, a good JW wouldn't be trying to find all these contradictions in our spiritual food, would he? :-P It's madness! As blondie said, they make (& break) the rules.

• parakeet
    parakeet

*** "Remember, too, that you have made a dedication to Jehovah God himself, not to a work, a cause, other humans, or an organization." ***
    More proof of the JWs' defiance of the biblical injunction to examine "the scriptures daily to see if these things were so." If they really studied the scriptures and their WTS "spiritual food," they would spot these contradictions and question them. They're all fast asleep.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Right, Parakeet.

The Beroeans examined the SCRIPTURES, NOT THE PUBLICATIONS.

Warlock

• done4good
    done4good

That one's a classic!

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit