Pay it forward

by arrowstar 15 Replies latest jw friends

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

One of the reasons I enjoyed Pay It Forward so much is that I've been living by the Golden Rule since I could talk. My earliest memory of a generous act:

My little sister desperately wanted a pet turtle. So i went down to the nearest pet store, an easy walk from our house, and looked over their stock. They all appeared to have soft-shell disease, a thing pet store red-eared turtles get. So, without returning to or calling home, I hopped on the bus and went to an aquarium store in the next town; a big, well-stocked place with knowledgeable staff, one of my favorite places on earth. I found a healthy turtle and brought it home.

Mom told me afterward how eagerly and impatiently my sister had waited for me to come back - rushing out to the driveway every few minutes to look down the street. And then she complimented me on my generosity - which hadn't even occurred to me; I was just having a good time doing the right thing.

My life, by the conventional definitions of material success, is pretty crappy, but nonetheless I've been paid back many times for that little turtle.

gently feral

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

What a sweet story, GentlyFeral.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

ah my wonderful Gently....what a beautiful story.

It is really a version of the Golden Rule, isn't it? This Pay it Forward?

Call me an old softly, if you will, but this is how I choose to live my life.

Lisa

• parakeet
    parakeet

I liked the movie, too, although it was a bit saccharine for my taste.
    With all the demands on everyone's time these days, it's always a wonder to me that anyone takes some of their precious time to help people they may not even know. I also try but don't always succeed. My pay-forward efforts are usually directed toward animals. I've saved and found homes for, to date, several parakeets that had flown away, 2 stray dogs, 2 stray cats, and an abandoned lop-eared rabbit.

parakeet, of the sucker-for-animals class

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I never saw the movie, but I know the principle. I try to practice it as much as possible. I too am a softy for pets and small children. As to whether there have been random acts of kindness shown to me, yes. I think it is a great principle/practice to live by.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    The movie Pay it Forward is on right now and it got me to thinking (oh dear) about the concept.

I've got the DVD if you ever want to borrow it.

Do you do it?

Try to. Sometimes I wonder how successful or not I've been with it.

Have you been on the receiving end of it?

Not to my knowledge, but then again that doesn't mean much. If someone was paying something forward by giving me a kindness I wouldn't know it would I. Considering the state of my checking account I wouldn't mind a little pay forward in that area!

Discuss

The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman. Discuss. I'll tumble for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit