What has this board given to you?

by Crumpet 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Having cooled down a bit in the garden I got to thinking about what this board has given me and wondered what anyone else feels they have gained from it.

For me its been invaluable and even life changing:

1) Freedom from the brainwashing - when I came here I had already read Ray Franz's books and still believed it JWs had the truth - hat I was basically worthless and that I would die at Armageddon. The reasoned conversations and help of the posters from all over the world has enabled me to have freedom of thought - something I didnt even know I didnt have until I spent time here.

2) Friends who empathise and know from an experience what I have been through in a way outsiders can never possiby understand.

3) Entertainment - unbelievable laughs and moments of humour that have cheered me up so many times.

4) Association - via the aposta bbqs and telephone chats I can now have so I don't feel so isolated and to some extent alleviates the awful pain of separation from my loved family.

5) Information - from this board and posters here I have found out things that were my right to know but would never have learnt otherwise - my sisters marriage, my aunts tragic death.

6) Reunions - I have now met at least one person who knows me from my childhood and has grown into a man of such kindness and patience that I would have missed out on completely had he not been here and been kind enough to hold my hand - even when I've been an irritating totured little idiot!

7) the opportunity to feel of some use in terms of being able to now help other newbies - wanting to leave, leaving, struggling with the hardships of escaping the organisation.

8) consolation and support during my low moments from all quarters of this globe

9) insight into how life and language and love are experienced around the world from all ages, genders, races, sexual preferences and education.

10) Perspective - I'm not the only one who gets depressed, finds life hard etc and some of the experiences here are so much worse than mine in every way.

I have lots of names I could mention but in a way felt it would be unfair because every single poster here and moderator has contributed to all of the above.

Thank you - everybody. You make life a helluva a lot more interesting and so much more worth living!

crumpet x

• TTS
    TTS

1) Mental freedom from the Borg

2) Knowing that I am not the (only) spawn of Satan Or am I?

• Nowman
    Nowman

Because I left when I was just turned 18 (1992), I really do not think I knew exactly what I was apart of all these years. JWD is my favoritre! I have so much more knowledge and understanding of what I do not want to believe in.

Nikki

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    2) Friends who empathise and know from an experience what I have been through in a way outsiders can never possiby understand.

3) Entertainment - unbelievable laughs and moments of humour that have cheered me up so many times.

4) Association - via the aposta bbqs and telephone chats I can now have so I don't feel so isolated and to some extent alleviates the awful pain of separation from my loved family.

5) Information - from this board and posters here I have found out things that were my right to know but would never have learnt otherwise - my sisters marriage, my aunts tragic death.

6) Reunions - I have now met at least one person who knows me from my childhood and has grown into a man of such kindness and patience that I would have missed out on completely had he not been here and been kind enough to hold my hand - even when I've been an irritating totured little idiot!

G'day crumpet,

My immediate answer was one word: friends

but then I read your post and selected the coments above

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The wonderful comfort of knowing that I am not the only one who thinks as I do.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

... This itchy rash that I just can't seem to get rid of... Oh wait, nevermind...

I used to push a lot of feelings and hurt deep down inside of myself. I didn't feel validated to feel the hurt I did, mostly because when it was mentioned to those who came in to my life Post-JW, they just didn't understand my experiences and how traumatic they were. Before my husband really started understanding the JW experience (which he is now starting to grasp the scope of) his feelings were "So you had to knock on a few doors... Well, I had to go to a Catholic High School!"

Just like with probably most any survivor community, the best thing it does for people is let you know you aren't alone... which goes a long way (at least for me) in the healing process.

I also LOVE the researchers on this site. I have learned so much from them. It's helped a lot to cement the correctness of my current Non-JW life in my mind and get rid of any guilt I may have had left.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    My immediate answer was one word: friends

but then I read your post and selected the coments above

you have friends brucey? hehe - such a cheater nicking my answers! Love your posts - you always make me laugh and then I feel ashamed. Am soooo looking forward to sitting back at Kents in Norway in July and watching you and gumby kick off! and Eman if he can be there. Now thats an experience I wouldnt miss for the all the wine in AUS !!!

Effervescent - honey - I dont seem to have seen you around in ages but can I say how fabulous it is - I have always taken a personal interest in your posts and wondered how you got to be so wise so young! Now about that itchy rash - see the ring worm thread !!!!

bluesbrother - its good to know I can even get respected high brow posters to add to one of my threads - when I try hard enough! LOL! what is that other cliche - befuddled minds think alike?

TTS - have you checked the back of your head for a three digit bar code?

Nikki- so much more succinct and to the point than me - we left at a similar age and seem to have endured similarly. Thank you for adding your comments.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I came here a few months ago looking for information about JWs, but I stayed because so many posters' stories were so poignant. I grew interested in them and followed their progress with great interest.
    I faded almost 30 years ago, and other than Barbara G. Harrison's "Visions of Glory," I had never read anything anti-JW since the late 70s. A few months ago, I had reason to believe some JW relatives were going to confront me about my beliefs (or lack of), so I decided I needed to study up on what the JWs have been doing recently.
    The incredible amount of harm the WTS causes absolutely astounded me. I always thought I'd had a rough time with the JWs, but was shocked to read here about people who had and continue to have a terrible struggle with the JWs and their loveless doctrines. My relatively peaceful departure and happy life since have taught me that I was extremely fortunate to have gotten away so lightly. And for that I'm thankful.
    My relatives never did confront me, but I plan to stay on this board a while longer.

• undercover
    undercover

Support...knowing that I was not alone in doubting everything that I had been taught since birth. Support...in that others managed to leave with their sanity and self-respect intact and giving me the confidence that I could do it as well.

• Simon
    Simon

Headaches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit